Men's Belts?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacLaren

Re: Men's Belts?

Post by MacLaren »

Here's the thread I did if anyone is interested
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=92294&hilit=Ranger+Belt
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well thank you guys for the great information!! This has turned out to be a much more interesting thread that I had envisioned it would. Most of you have really brought a lot of great information to the table and I'm really impressed at how many of you are knowledgeable about men's accessories.

I'm most definitely going to look into these "Ratcheting Men's Belts". But I also want to go down another rabbit hole pertaining to men's belts. I want to also check into the sporting/outdoor line of belts and/or accessories that can be beneficial to guys who like those types of activities.

But please also continue with the subject matter that we are already talking about. I want to learn more and I'm sure a lot of guys are watching this thread are eager to learn more as well.
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Grip6 makes great belts. I've been wearing mine for the last 1-2 years. Great company. USA made.

Funny commercial:
https://youtu.be/68YGRZzu9-E
- Richard
benben

Post by benben »

I only wear 1.5” gun belts, everything else feels like a limp noodle rope!

Leather…The Beltman.
Nylon Ratcheting….Kore.
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

https://www.thirteen50leather.com/

US made with all the good stuff for a fair price. I own Filson and Tanner as well and there’s no significant difference in any of them. Pick your leather and buckle for around $60 and it’ll last a long time.
Makunochimaster

Post by Makunochimaster »

bought from a leather maker
crust 4mm, solid brass buckle

Native 5 cpm-s110v G10. Native 5 cpm-s110v frn.
Lil' Native MB cpm-s30v. Dragonfly 2 zdp-189.
Delica 4 cts-204p limited. Cricket Nishijin blk vg10.
Urban n690co. Persistence s35vn lightweight.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

riclaw wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:31 pm
Grip6 makes great belts. I've been wearing mine for the last 1-2 years. Great company. USA made.

Funny commercial:
https://youtu.be/68YGRZzu9-E
I will most definitely check these guys out. I love USA made products whenever they are available.

Kind of like Spyderco's GOLDEN, CO USA made line up of great blades. I've always had an affinity for stuff made right here in the land of the "RED, WHITE & BLUE.

I do find it most interesting that in the past 3 years or so that "men's belts" have finally gotten a high tech touch and better marketing. But there are probably 2 other companies I'm going to look at as well.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I have two usual belts that alternate between these days..

The first is an American Bench Craft "Working Man's" belt that I got back in 2019 from Massdrop, when that was a thing.. (man, do I miss Massdrop..). It's a well-made, boring leather belt.. just the way I like them! US-made, simple/sturdy construction, quality materials.. It's held up extremely well and I see no reason it won't last me the rest of my life. As an added bonus, American Bench Craft is close-by to me, about a half hr away in Wilmington, MA.. always nice to be able to support a local business.

https://americanbenchcraft.com/working-mans-belt/

The other belt I really enjoy is the 5.11 Tactical Double Duty TDU belt. In spite of the name, the tan (I guess they're calling it "kangaroo" now.. pretty sure it was called "coyote" when I bought mine) model doesn't look especially "tactical" with blue-jeans/khakis/shorts/etc. The belts have two layers of material, so they are supportive without being heavy.. the lighter weight is appreciated in the summer time. They cinch up tight, the heavy-duty plastic buckle stays put throughout the day, and the lack of holes means the belt adjusts to a changing waistline. Like others have already mentioned, these belts have no metal, so they are TSA/metal detector friendly as well.. this is a nice feature. I have two of these.. the oldest I've worn for probably a decade or so now.. after a couple years it became a little bit discolored from continued exposure to sweat, so it got demoted to my work/hiking/"beater" belt and, maybe 6 years ago, I got a newer one to keep "nice." The oldest is still in good functional shape and the 6 year old one still looks brand new. I've been very impressed with these 5.11 belts.

https://www.511tactical.com/double-duty ... t-1-5.html

A lot of nice suggestions here from everyone.. interesting thread!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Wow!! this has turned out to be one of the most interesting threads here on the Off Topic section I've ever had significant results with. To be honest I expected maybe 6 or at the most possibly 8 feedbacks about this subject. The Men's Belt market has sure undergone some radical changes in the past 3 to 5 years it seems.

One thing that spurred me to check out this section of the men's clothing market was a most unpleasant shopping experience I had about 2 years ago. I was at a favorite boot and work clothing store here in our area and I purchased a new Carhardtt men's belt. To say I was disappointed in the overall quality is being nice to them. I've already got the stitching coming loose around the buckle area and I bet I haven't worn that thing more than maybe a dozen times since I bought it. Carhardtt used to be super quality no matter what item of theirs you bought. Well you couldn't give me another Carhardtt belt again.
benben

Post by benben »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:05 am
Wow!! this has turned out to be one of the most interesting threads here on the Off Topic section I've ever had significant results with. To be honest I expected maybe 6 or at the most possibly 8 feedbacks about this subject. The Men's Belt market has sure undergone some radical changes in the past 3 to 5 years it seems.

One thing that spurred me to check out this section of the men's clothing market was a most unpleasant shopping experience I had about 2 years ago. I was at a favorite boot and work clothing store here in our area and I purchased a new Carhardtt men's belt. To say I was disappointed in the overall quality is being nice to them. I've already got the stitching coming loose around the buckle area and I bet I haven't worn that thing more than maybe a dozen times since I bought it. Carhardtt used to be super quality no matter what item of theirs you bought. Well you couldn't give me another Carhardtt belt again.
Buy yourself a true 1.5" wide leather gun belt, it'll forever change the way you look and feel about belts. I wear Beltman belts but there's a ton of fantastic gun / edc belt manufacturers out there!
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Grip6 has a 72-hour sale on all their carbon fiber products if anyone would like to try. The cf buckles don't set off metal detectors, which is nice when traveling.

20% off coupon code is CARBON20.
(Code also works on the Element straps when purchased separately.)
- Richard
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

riclaw wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:04 pm
Grip6 has a 72-hour sale on all their carbon fiber products if anyone would like to try. The cf buckles don't set off metal detectors, which is nice when traveling.

So is there no ferrous metals in this belt you speak of? If so I find that really interesting. I've sure been detained at airports and government buildings in the past due to some hardware I've had on my clothes.

It seems like it's always ferrous, iron containing metals that tend to set off most of these screening devices.
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:51 am
riclaw wrote:
The cf buckles don't set off metal detectors, which is nice when traveling.

So is there no ferrous metals in this belt you speak of? If so I find that really interesting.
The buckle is carbon fiber and the strap is webbing. Beauty in simplicity.
https://grip6.com/pages/collections-page

They also have comfy wool socks and weird space-age wallets.
- Richard
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

riclaw wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:34 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:51 am
riclaw wrote:
The cf buckles don't set off metal detectors, which is nice when traveling.

So is there no ferrous metals in this belt you speak of? If so I find that really interesting.
The buckle is carbon fiber and the strap is webbing. Beauty in simplicity.
https://grip6.com/pages/collections-page

They also have comfy wool socks and weird space-age wallets.
That's awesome. I'm finding it incredible as to how many things you can do with Carbon Fiber. It seems like the sky is the limit in some aspect. I'm also amazed at how new technology that there has been applied to the market of Men's Belts. And from what I'm gathering it seems like most of these advancements have been good ones too.

I will also most definitely check out this vendor you recommended. Great thread thus far.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

The Bison Designs belts with "last chance" locking buckle are great and don't cost too much.
The buckles are aluminum, so expect colored finishes to wear, but the webbing is excellent and they're made in Colorado (USA Earth).

I own a couple great locally made leather belts, but after my GF requested non-leather belts for landscaping and gave the Bison belt I got her a big thumbs-up, I tried one and I'm a convert now.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

awa54 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:59 am
The Bison Designs belts
Neat website. The Bison Bargains page has some nice things.
https://bisondesigns.com/catalog/all-bargains
- Richard
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Post by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives »

I like cheap belts.
My favorite use to be leather and studded spikes. Now you can't hardly find these in real leather.
So being cheap. I tried this out. $12 from Amazon and so far looking good after a year of every day use.
Attachments
61uWEF5F1gL._AC_UX679_.jpg
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I bought my 100 year wallet from Saddleback Leather Co. I absolutely love it. If I ever think I want to change away from my ratcheting belt by Mission Belts I would probably give one of theirs a try. https://saddlebackleather.com/leather-belt-old
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
awa54

Post by awa54 »

JoshLikesSekiCityKnives wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:11 am
I like cheap belts.
My favorite use to be leather and studded spikes. Now you can't hardly find these in real leather.
So being cheap. I tried this out. $12 from Amazon and so far looking good after a year of every day use.

Those were super cool in the 1970s...

I'm alergic to most '70s styles these days, I swore I'd never wear an earth-tone striped shirt again.
As a kid my wardrobe consisted of whatever was cheap from Sears, I might have had that same belt with fewer eyelets :vomit :squinting-tongue
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Post by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives »

awa54 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:25 pm
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:11 am
I like cheap belts.

Those were super cool in the 1970s...

I'm alergic to most '70s styles these days, I swore I'd never wear an earth-tone striped shirt again.
As a kid my wardrobe consisted of whatever was cheap from Sears, I might have had that same belt with fewer eyelets :vomit :squinting-tongue
I don't remember these in the 1970's. I was born in 1973 though. And here I thought it looked hip. I just quit wearing spiked and leather belts when good quality leather belts became some boutique nonsense and costing over $100. Tried a few fake leather belts. They broke. So I went to ballistic nylon.
I was under the impression this was more.of a 1980's-90's thing and was derived from an older military style belt. I just like the eyelets as they allow me to do half inch buckle increments.
You were lucky to get Sears. My clothing growing up was KMart. :nerd