Just for fun, who here is NOT on social media?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.

What's your social media position?

I absolutely hate all social media, it is a cancer on society
32%
I don't care enough to be on social media, I'm not on anything
24%
I don't understand technology, so I avoid social media
No votes
I dabble on a little social media
14%
I am on social media, but I don't use it often
12%
I use social media often
18%
I cannot live without social media
No votes

Total votes: 50

Brock O Lee

Re: Just for fun, who here is NOT on social media?

Post by Brock O Lee »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:14 pm
I keep my circle small and drama to an absolute minimum, and then it actually becomes a useful tool.
This is key. ☝️

I follow a little bit of Facebook to keep up with our neighbourhood community, marketplace, and a bit of family/friends abroad.

I follow Twitter mostly for a perspective on non-mainstream news, but don't participate in discussions.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

I caved after the first year of lockdown and signed up for the Big Three, just to stay in touch with what was going on with the work crew, but shut them all down pretty quickly.

I was used to interacting with people through my work and wanted to see what was going on. Ultimately, it just didn’t seem particularly healthy to me.

Of course, it’s what you make of it. That stuff just isn’t for me.

I am on this and one other forum, atm. Years ago, I moderated another forum having to do with a different interest/hobby.

Nobody in my family is very interested in social media. We stay in touch through Messages.

I do watch a lot of YouTube. That counts as social media, imo.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Besides this forum, I'm on Facebook and a member of several Facebook groups: my neighborhood, local dining, local fishing, knives, fantasy football, aviation interest, art interest, etc... I'm on Facebook several times a day, and find it very useful for keeping in touch with friends, relatives, restaurant info, etc. And I'm on this forum several times a day, as well.

All that said, I do not consider myself a social media maven at all. The opposite, actually, though I answered that I use it often.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Facebook and Instagram are the only two platforms that I use on an occasional basis. I use them solely for posting pictures of knives that I’ve made and they work pretty well for that purpose. I guess I did use Twitter one time to participate in a contest for Spyderco many years ago, but haven’t used it since.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I'm on social media. It gives me the best avenue for marketing my books. I can't talk about them on the knife forums I on, so other forms of social media besides knife forums are a must.

All of you are on social media. This forum is social media.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
James Y

Post by James Y »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:22 am
I'm on social media. It gives me the best avenue for marketing my books. I can't talk about them on the knife forums I on, so other forms of social media besides knife forums are a must.

All of you are on social media. This forum is social media.

Although I mentioned that I'm virtually never on Facebook, that may have to change in the coming year. I'm in the process of starting my own business online, and I'll probably have to increase my presence on more forms of social media at some point to promote my business, not as a form of self-aggrandizement. As it is, in my life I keep quiet and to myself, probably too much as I've gotten older.

And yes, this and any other discussion forum IS social media. Whether many view it as an obsolete form of it or not.

"Social media" is a tool, just like knives are tools. Or like cars. Whether it's good or bad is dependent on how it's used. It can be used wisely, and it can be used stupidly. IMO, it's not a point of pride to either be on it or not be on it; it's simply a personal choice. Not every person on social media chooses to buy into and engage in toxic behavior.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I am on Facebook, went from My Space to Facebook and that's really it for me.

It's mostly people I went to HS with and a few others I know here and there.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I guess I consider all internet forums a form of social media. If not though, to answer the question, I have a Facebook account that I don't use, and almost never log in to, except for important updates about fires, etc. I don't participate in Instagram, Twitter, etc. I am on this and a few other forums though.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I don't feel it's my business what others do with their time but I have no use for any of the usual ones.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Outside of forums, I dabble a bit. In all truth, I need to delete the accounts I have and go back to only this wonderful place and the only other knife forum I belong to.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

SpyderForLyfe wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:04 pm
At first I thought I was alone, one of the few people in the world NOT on social media (facebook, twitter, insta, etc.). I thought I was a rare breed, but I'm noticing more and more people lately are turning their noses up at all social media in general.

With that said, who here is NOT on ANY social media at all?
Anyone who posts here that they aren't on any social media is obviously lying, since this IS social media.

That said, this place, Bladeforums and EDC forum are the entirety of my social media presence.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Participating in an irrelevant discussion, i.e. "who is not on social media,"
is a perfect example of what what social media is all about.

🤯 🤣

Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Forums are one example of social media.

I have degrees in information systems and worked in technical support for quite a while in many different capacities.

I have accounts on a few social media sites. They are all different and have their own look and feel to them. The people they attract and the rules that regulate them are all very different.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
SpyderForLyfe

Post by SpyderForLyfe »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:39 pm
SpyderForLyfe wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:04 pm
At first I thought I was alone, one of the few people in the world NOT on social media (facebook, twitter, insta, etc.). I thought I was a rare breed, but I'm noticing more and more people lately are turning their noses up at all social media in general.

With that said, who here is NOT on ANY social media at all?
Anyone who posts here that they aren't on any social media is obviously lying, since this IS social media.

That said, this place, Bladeforums and EDC forum are the entirety of my social media presence.
Read my comments about that in earlier posts, please. This may technically be defined as social media, in the way that a sticker on a banana could be defined as an "edible food product" but in reality it's absolutely nothing like what other social media has become.

Nobody is lying about anything. Chill.
SpyderForLyfe

Post by SpyderForLyfe »

RustyIron wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:36 pm

Participating in an irrelevant discussion, i.e. "who is not on social media,"
is a perfect example of what what social media is all about.

🤯 🤣

It isn't irrelevant. I wanted to know, that makes it relevant. To me, at least. It's not like I posted a pool about who likes Megan Markle or something truly irrelevant.

Not to mention the fact that I added the disclaimer, "just for fun"
SpyderForLyfe

Post by SpyderForLyfe »

Naperville wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:25 am

I have degrees in information systems and worked in technical support for quite a while in many different capacities.

I have accounts on a few social media sites. They are all different and have their own look and feel to them. The people they attract and the rules that regulate them are all very different.
I too have degrees in software engineering and have been in the field for 22 years. That doesn't make either of us experts in name origins, and it doesn't mean we have to be so technical and textbook definition oriented all the time.

Apparently your vast amounts of education never included how to interpret "just for fun" or how to look at the true nature of something beyond its dictionary definition.

This isn't a court of law, and you haven't been called as an expert witness. There's no need to preface your opinion with your pedigree.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

This forum is my only form of social media. I stopped once Myspace became defunked years ago. Never signed up for Facebook.

My wife has a few different platforms and is also friends with a lot of my friends and family. So I'm still in the loop with anything important if I'm not contacted. Works for me!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Yab and Rusty dropping some truth.

Where's Bloke, anyhow!!??? Alex!?

Haha hahaha.

Happy New Year, All!
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

SpyderForLyfe wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:43 am
Naperville wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:25 am

I too have degrees in software engineering and have been in the field for 22 years. That doesn't make either of us experts in name origins, and it doesn't mean we have to be so technical and textbook definition oriented all the time.

Apparently your vast amounts of education never included how to interpret "just for fun" or how to look at the true nature of something beyond its dictionary definition.

This isn't a court of law, and you haven't been called as an expert witness. There's no need to preface your opinion with your pedigree.

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ is why I'm careful about posting on social media, but no matter how careful you are, there is always somebody trying to make your life a living ****.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Naperville wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:49 am
THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ is why I'm careful about posting on social media, but no matter how careful you are, there is always somebody trying to make your life a living ****.
Bwahahahaha!
You guys are cracking me up.
This is more fun than Tik-Tok and Twitter.