Just for fun, who here is NOT on social media?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.

What's your social media position?

I absolutely hate all social media, it is a cancer on society
32%
I don't care enough to be on social media, I'm not on anything
24%
I don't understand technology, so I avoid social media
No votes
I dabble on a little social media
14%
I am on social media, but I don't use it often
12%
I use social media often
18%
I cannot live without social media
No votes

Total votes: 50

SpyderForLyfe

Just for fun, who here is NOT on social media?

Post by SpyderForLyfe »

At first I thought I was alone, one of the few people in the world NOT on social media (facebook, twitter, insta, etc.). I thought I was a rare breed, but I'm noticing more and more people lately are turning their noses up at all social media in general.

With that said, who here is NOT on ANY social media at all?
VooDooChild

Re: Just for fun, who here is NOT on social media?

Post by VooDooChild »

Me, I have never had a facebook, myspace, twitter, tik tok, instagram, or anything else.

I guess forums dont count? Or maybe it depends on the forum...
Last edited by VooDooChild on Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm on Facebook and Instagram but almost entirely just for keeping in touch with family and following bands. I keep my circle small and drama to an absolute minimum, and then it actually becomes a useful tool.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Zipper

Post by Zipper »

I am not on any social media platforms. Just not interested.
Beyond that, this is the only forum I am on.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I think most people consider a forum to be social media. Just an early form of it.

https://www.theadminzone.com/threads/ar ... ia.138473/
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I only tune in for certain updates and product reveals. I tried keeping up with family, but ultimately gave that up too. I still have accounts, but I don't follow them much at all and generally avoid it.

I do think we are currently using social media. We are currently on a device socializing with people around the world on this forum. We just have a similar interest here in knives. Others are getting that socialization just in a different format. There are plenty of negatives to it, but with most things in reality there is also the good. I try really hard to just focus on the good. Plenty of bad to waste your energy on. Otherwise, you end up being that person that complains about everything and people start tuning you out when they hear you come in the door.
Last edited by JSumm on Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
SpyderForLyfe

Post by SpyderForLyfe »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:19 pm
I think most people consider a forum to be social media. Just an early form of it.

https://www.theadminzone.com/threads/ar ... ia.138473/
There's a big difference in context, though. Yes, by that definition a forum is social media, but it goes deeper than that. Sal isn't using this forum to track our activity and push ads to us. He isn't collecting our personal information and selling it. Every company in the world doesn't have a Spyderco Forum link to their business profile on their website. Politicians don't use this forum to convey messages, and actors don't come here to cancel things they don't like. So in the wider perspective, this is absolutely NOT social media.

But for prosperity's sake, let's just say message boards are NOT social media for purposes of this poll & conversation.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I’ve never had anything, and my generation started Facebook when we were in college and you had to have a college email to join. I admittedly get on Facebook through a browser every once in awhile to check business that have bad websites, but that’s about it.

My wife does enough social media for the both of us, and all my family, friends and colleague follow her. It sucks going to work meetings and everyone telling you how much fun your vacation looked.

In all, there is too much stimulation and envy that comes from social media for me. This and a few other forums I’m on is enough for me.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
James Y

Post by James Y »

I have a Facebook account that I've had since 2012, but I only started it because at the time, I was into acting, and a Facebook account was required to join a 'secret group' to receive communications about auditions, as well as locations and schedules to show up for acting gigs once you were hired.

Although I still have the account, I'm virtually never on it. I only have a small number of Facebook "friends," all people I already know or have known IRL.

Jim
Zipper

Post by Zipper »

Thanks Bolster …. Then by that definition (who am I to argue!), I have one cancer I will just have to learn to live with.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

SpyderForLyfe wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:25 pm
Sal isn't using this forum to track our activity and push ads to us. He isn't collecting our personal information and selling it. Every company in the world doesn't have a Spyderco Forum link to their business profile on their website. Politicians don't use this forum to convey messages, and actors don't come here to cancel things they don't like. So in the wider perspective, this is absolutely NOT social media.

But for prosperity's sake, let's just say message boards are NOT social media for purposes of this poll & conversation.

I take your point. Since it's not a blatant compliance technology,* this forum is refreshingly un-social-medialike.

And yes, I avoid the "mind control" type of social media like the plague it is.

(*Except for the "Ayoob Campaign - I won't shut up" thread, of course, which turned us all into mind-numbed robots called "Ayoobians.")
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Nope , never , no interest. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
SpyderForLyfe

Post by SpyderForLyfe »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:30 pm
(*Except for the "Ayoob Campaign - I won't shut up" thread, of course, which turned us all into mind-numbed robots called "Ayoobians.")
:') :') :') :') :') :') :') :')
Zipper

Post by Zipper »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:30 pm
SpyderForLyfe wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:25 pm

I take your point. Since it's not a blatant compliance technology,* this forum is refreshingly un-social-medialike.

I wonder if the absence of ‘hard core’ social media people is the reason why this forum seems to be relatively free of the nastiness on other forums and social media in general.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

It wouldn't surprise me if Spyderco forumites were not the typical social media mavens. Mainstream social media has invented its own sort of "morality for public consumption" (aka virtue signaling), and an interest in knives would go against the groupthink-approved morality, I would guess.
Zipper

Post by Zipper »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:02 pm
It wouldn't surprise me if Spyderco forumites were not the typical social media mavens. Mainstream social media has invented its own sort of "morality for public consumption" (aka virtue signaling), and an interest in knives would go against the groupthink-approved morality, I would guess.
You may be on to something
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I dipped my toes into Twitter for a while and found it to go from interesting to toxic in short order. Tested a few others, they were almost as bad so I just dropped out altogether. Of course, I’m on this and another forum, so I’m sort of social. I doubt the kids consider forums to be social media, however.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
R100

Post by R100 »

I am not on any social media at all unless you count this forum. Is this social media? I grew up in an era without even telephones in remote Australia. Only communication was mail and HF radio. The mail truck would come once a week if conditions allowed. In my youth I worked as a stockman and truckie (trucker in the US) in remote inland Australia and any attempt to communicate with me would take several weeks at least. I loved that and even after a change of career I refused to have a mobile phone until I had teenage kids. I still get to spend several months per year in remote areas with my job but these days I have to call in every day with a satellite phone. I feel like I'm on a leash. I just can't imagine tying myself to social media and constant alerts.

Dan
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

I started my IG when an underage drunk driver ran my girlfriend off the road. 5 months in the intensive care unit, IG was my distraction. I bought a knife on there from a big yt channel guy. Arguments with him made me post more to articulate what the steel was doing and not heresay. Over time I made a few friends, even had ppl nudge me into making a youtube channel. My IG was hacked in the beginning of the year, but ppl shouted me out. Triple B being the main one. I can see how social media can be toxic when used incorrectly. I think fb forces family to follow each other but IG is more like minded folks following each other. I use IG to journal what I'm testing, what I'm carrying, and how my better half is fighting her current fight with cancer. To me knife enjoyment is falling out of priority. The videos I recorded I think are cringe and a dumpster fire, but I want that mentality to stop. I don't care about popularity, or creating an image to profit from the knife community.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Not my jam. I prefer to keep a low profile and respect others who do, too.