Just for fun, who here is NOT on social media?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.

What's your social media position?

I absolutely hate all social media, it is a cancer on society
32%
I don't care enough to be on social media, I'm not on anything
24%
I don't understand technology, so I avoid social media
No votes
I dabble on a little social media
14%
I am on social media, but I don't use it often
12%
I use social media often
18%
I cannot live without social media
No votes

Total votes: 50

ChrisinHove

Re: Just for fun, who here is NOT on social media?

Post by ChrisinHove »

I like FB for niche interest groups and keeping in touch with far-flung family & friends, but I do get frustrated with the increasing number of ads and incontinent contributors.

The block feature certainly helps ….
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:49 am
I like FB for niche interest groups and keeping in touch with far-flung family & friends, but I do get frustrated with the increasing number of ads and incontinent contributors.

The block feature certainly helps ….

I use the block feature a lot, everyday. :cheap-sunglasses

It does seem to a lot more ads lately on FB. :eye-roll
James Y

Post by James Y »

Social media is a tool. It's not evil in and of itself. And like any tool, it can be used for purposes that range from extremely positive to extremy negative, and anything in-between.

It's the same with knives. We rail against people who demonize knives, and knife carriers as deranged weirdos, because they class everyone together with some people who have used knives to commit horrific crimes. It's not the tool, it's the user and how it's used.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:23 am
Social media is a tool. It's not evil in and of itself. And like any tool, it can be used for purposes that range from extremely positive to extremy negative, and anything in-between.

It's the same with knives. We rail against people who demonize knives, and knife carriers as deranged weirdos, because they class everyone together with some people who have used knives to commit horrific crimes. It's not the tool, it's the user and how it's used.

Jim

Jim,

Exactly.

I think some people just get way too carried away and spend way too much time on it and have an unhealthy amount of self-importance. :rofl

Add in the confirmation bias and all the other BS and down the rabbit hole they go. :eye-roll

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:29 am
James Y wrote:

Jim

Jim,

Exactly.

I think some people just get way too carried away and spend way too much time on it and have an unhealthy amount of self-importance. :rofl

Add in the confirmation bias and all the other BS and down the rabbit hole they go. :eye-roll

Jim

Agreed. There is a very WEIRD culture that's grown up around confirmation bias and entitlement. And I despise that some are called (or call themselves) "social influencers."

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:38 am
Ankerson wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:29 am
James Y wrote:

Jim

Jim,

Exactly.

Jim

Agreed. There is a very WEIRD culture that's grown up around confirmation bias and entitlement. And I despise that some are called (or call themselves) "social influencers."

Jim

Jim,

Oh yeah, very strange.

The "social influencers" thing is way out of hand IMO.

Just because someone has a social media account doesn't make them an expert at anything or mean anyone should listen to what they are saying.

I mean any idiot/moron with a cell phone can have a YT channel and upload videos as an example.

Not even going to get into that Instagram and Twitter stuff. :rofl

It's getting to be insane. :rofl

Confirmation bias is total insanity and just breeds and spreads ignorance. :eye-roll

I see the results of that everyday.... It's pathetic. :cussing

Jim
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Hah, all true!

We were walking along a beach over the new year break. There was a guy walking along in front, vlogging to his camera on a stick, for miles. He was taking absolutely no notice of the view, the beautiful sky, the seals, the miriad of sea birds and waders … just totally caught up in himself.

Unbelievable.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:46 am
Hah, all true!

We were walking along a beach over the new year break. There was a guy walking along in front, vlogging to his camera on a stick, for miles. He was taking absolutely no notice of the view, the beautiful sky, the seals, the miriad of sea birds and waders … just totally caught up in himself.

Unbelievable.

That doesn't surprise me at all. ;)

People like that are a victim waiting to happen, a bad guy could walk right up on them and they would never see them.

It's all how things are now, everyone is in their own little world.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:11 pm
It's all how things are now, everyone is in their own little world.

Not quite everyone! I was on the beach today, enjoying nature, watching people look at their phones, and snapping this photo with mine:

James Y

Post by James Y »

These are perfect examples of the STUPID side of social media:

https://youtu.be/PzwdRjh0o-o

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:18 pm
These are perfect examples of the STUPID side of social media:

https://youtu.be/PzwdRjh0o-o

Jim

Jim,

Looks more like natural selection or the Darwin awards to me.

Jim
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Post by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives »

I used.Facebook for 5 years. Quit 3 years ago due to the bickering and misunderstandings from communication via text and.post. Been 100% happier since I gave up all social media.
But social media did bring my a godmother and Godfather into my life. For that I will always be thankful. :red-heart
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

I'm not, at least not the big ones like FB, Twitter, instagram etc. I participate on a few forums, and like 3 discord servers. That's about it. When I was 16 or so, before I got my 1st smartphone, I promised myself I would never join any social media. And I never did. I really hate social media, I believe it is for the most part a waste of time and is ruining our society.

I also don't think we're entirely better off with smartphones and widespread internet access. It makes us dumber and more reliant on our devices. Just try going on a trip across your province (or state for y'all down there) without your smartphone. Heck, just try running to your local walmart without it. I speak for myself when I say I feel naked and somewhat helpless without my mobile device in public. Why? How did people survive and function all these years without them? And now people are glued to their screens, no one talks to each other. I hate it, yet I don't want to get rid of my phone because it's so convenient.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I've nevee been on any social media at all, except this very forum (and in the past a mix of blog / forum concerning backcountry skiing, but not anymore) - probably one of the reasons (lack of alternatives) why I post annoyingly (too) much here... :grimace :smirk

But then I am generally more that kind of guy: Never owned and never missed a TV set for example and was very late to Internet, cell- and later smartphones...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Am on Instagram for my knifemaking journey.
Never done Facebook

Best place to connect with the knifemaking community and get tips and pointers. Also great place for products to use and where to find them.
Not there for likes, just for the education and where all the new products are and what they look like.

Noticed a knife with glow liners….3 months later I’m making a knife with glow liners for a client
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Post by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives »

Foehammer wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:40 pm
I'm not, at least not the big ones like FB, Twitter, instagram etc. I participate on a few forums, and like 3 discord servers. That's about it. When I was 16 or so, before I got my 1st smartphone, I promised myself I would never join any social media. And I never did. I really hate social media, I believe it is for the most part a waste of time and is ruining our society.

I also don't think we're entirely better off with smartphones and widespread internet access. It makes us dumber and more reliant on our devices. Just try going on a trip across your province (or state for y'all down there) without your smartphone. Heck, just try running to your local walmart without it. I speak for myself when I say I feel naked and somewhat helpless without my mobile device in public. Why? How did people survive and function all these years without them? And now people are glued to their screens, no one talks to each other. I hate it, yet I don't want to get rid of my phone because it's so convenient.
Nothing wrong with convenience. My only complaint with smart phones is their delicate nature. I have very bad luck with them.
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

Nah the convenience is fine, but it creates a dependency that makes us less self sufficient in the long run.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045