Ötzi the Iceman: Knives and sharpeners

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
RustyIron

Ötzi the Iceman: Knives and sharpeners

Post by RustyIron »

As a youngster, mummies intrigued me, whether they were Egyptian pharaohs, Inca children, English bogmen, or Alpine Icemen. As a kid, perhaps the interest was more macabre, but today the interest is primarily scientific. This article is four years old, but in Iceman Years, it's the blink of an eye. It talks about the cutting tools that Ötzi used, as well as the sharpening tools and his attention to the edges. Personally, I prefer REX45 over chert, and a Sharpmaker over deer antler, but to each, his own.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/06 ... his-tools/
R100

Re: Ötzi the Iceman: Knives and sharpeners

Post by R100 »

RustyIron wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:51 pm
As a youngster, mummies intrigued me, whether they were Egyptian pharaohs, Inca children, English bogmen, or Alpine Icemen. As a kid, perhaps the interest was more macabre, but today the interest is primarily scientific. This article is four years old, but in Iceman Years, it's the blink of an eye. It talks about the cutting tools that Ötzi used, as well as the sharpening tools and his attention to the edges. Personally, I prefer REX45 over chert, and a Sharpmaker over deer antler, but to each, his own.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/06 ... his-tools/
Thanks for posting this fascinating article RustyIron. This bloke's unfortunate end has shown us so much about life at that time and place. For someone who died such a long time ago he seems very familiar. I bet he would have gone for REX45 and a Sharpmaker too if had the chance. Sounds like a decent rifle would have come in handy as well.

Dan
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I feel he may have wanted stainless steel instead, only because they were already used to rust free chert.

One thing I find interesting is that we tend to view him as a "good guy" being hunted, but perhaps he was a "bad guy" on the run from his crimes? Of course, we will never know the actual story.

His self-reliance is something to be admired. We in the West tend to just replace and toss the old when we really should mend and repair. Of course, modern economies won't work without consumerism.

Thanks for posting this interesting article.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
R100

Post by R100 »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:11 am
I feel he may have wanted stainless steel instead, only because they were already used to rust free chert.
On a field trip a while ago I was at the site of an old mine worked from around 1890-1920 and found a knife on the ground. It was almost rusted away but still recognisable. Not that far away I found an Aboriginal chert blade lying on the ground. It was perfect and there is no way I could tell how old it was. Made me wonder about technology and "progress".

Dan
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Interesting read, thanks for posting.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189