Soccer/football World Cup

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderGrill

Soccer/football World Cup

Post by SpyderGrill »

Any fans here?

The world cup is coming up and I cant wait to watch all of the games. USA are in this year but didn't qualify 4 years ago and this time my wifes Colombian team didnt make it.

I never was a "sports guy" till I met my wife in 2010, and she said the world cup was on. Been a fan since

For all that dont watch it I encourage you to take a look, root for your country!
max808

Re: Soccer/football World Cup

Post by max808 »

Thank you for calling it football.
:respect :usflag :respect

Die Mannschaft is about to kickoff against Japan. This is going to be one for the history books!
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
max808

Post by max808 »

I won't spoil it in case anyone wants to catch the reruns but man what a match!

Meanwhile Spain waged a crusade against Costa Rica and Belgium just shuffled their way past Canada rather unconvincingly.
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

It’s huge here (obvs!). I’m not really a footie guy but I do enjoy the David v. Goliath upsets!
max808

Post by max808 »

I just found out Germany's coach is named Flick so technically you could call him Herr Flick at a press conference and get away with it...
:rofl :rofl :rofl
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Die mannschaft didn't perform like they used to do.. we where prepared to sing "Deutschland , Deutschland,schiess ein tor! "( My wife is German) but the times of Beckenbauer, Muller, etc seem to be from the past. If you would say Japan would win from Die Mannschaft a few years ago they would send a car from the Lunatic asylum...and the match with Belgium against Canada wasn't fantastic either. Maybe the European players got lazy due to their hallucinatory paychecks they get but getting their butts kicked is a good thing i hope. Soccer seems be all about money and not about sportmanship anymore so maybe this whole World Cup fiasco will wake up people and we will go back to the days where football players where terminators and machines instead of the current instagram fashion models.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

It's been quite a run so far!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

For being such underdogs, the US is holding it's own against England right now.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I agree. They played a great game of football! I believe it ended in a draw. This has been an exciting series this year!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

MNOSD member 0032
max808

Post by max808 »

Goodness gracious, Ghana was leading South Korea 2 to nil when the Koreans scored twice in 2 minutes equalizing and now Ghana just scored again! Half an hour to go, what a match...
max808

Post by max808 »

The entire Korean defense is named Kim, talk about teambuilding eh...
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Makes the roster easy to remember! When I was in Korea in the Army, we played against the Korean Army and got annihilated! Most of their guys played every day.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I did not watch the video, but there is a video of a guy in Mexico stabbing his flat panel TV set after his team lost.

It takes a lot to make me passionate about a sport. I have to understand the sport, know the rules, maybe have played it as a teen, and know who some of my teams players are.

When I can, I watch MotoGP, MMA and NHL. It's because I've owned and street raced a 2001 Supersport GSX-R750, I've done martial arts, and played ice hockey. I also use to play a lot of golf and tennis when I was a teen, but because those sports are not recent events to me, I do not follow them.

When I was in high school I went out for the schools soccer team. Our coach was professional soccer player Tarcisio Masnia of the now defunct Chicago Sting. I was an athlete at the time, and was not the best soccer player, but I was a faster runner and had more endurance than most of the players. Nonetheless, he benched me for not coming out for the sport for 2 years after it became a high school sport. I was very active in sports, I was a hockey jock in HS. I quit the team because he would not play me. Soccer never caught on in our home, but I understand the basics.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
max808

Post by max808 »

bearrowland wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:27 pm
Makes the roster easy to remember! When I was in Korea in the Army, we played against the Korean Army and got annihilated! Most of their guys played every day.
Yes Sir they go hard and have excellent technique, sometimes incorporating a lil taekwondo. Japan vs Germany looked more like a judo match at times. A lot of favorites didn't even make it past the groupstage.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I think all these upsets is fantastic for the competition!

One of the upsides of the global game is that players from smaller nations get to play at the highest level in overseas leagues, upping the standard of their national teams.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Definitely makes it exciting!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

This US vs Netherlands game is tough to watch. The US is so bad that I almost feel bad for the Netherlands players having to deal with this matchup. The Netherlands is barely moving and the US can’t even cross midfield… the talent disparity is glaring!
-Nick :bug-red
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Oh no.....I have to check it out. I'll try to avoid looking at the score until I see the game :(
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The score actually isn’t too far out of hand but it just looks like the US is putting everything they have into this game and the Netherlands is treating it like a practice scrimmage.

The US has started to put some pressure on the Netherlands defense but it still looks like the Dutch aren’t even trying.
-Nick :bug-red
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Soccer is the original name. That is still the name in organizations. Oh well, foosball is not my favorite sport unless it’s on the table. I do hope the US does well.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050