Jim Green boots?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Evil D

Jim Green boots?

Post by Evil D »

Surely we have some South African members here who can tell us more, but I've recently got a pair of Jim Green AR8 (African Ranger 8 inch) boots. We haven't had a boot thread pop up in a while so has anyone owned their boots and how did you like them?

Basically JG are able to make high quality hand made boots and sell them cheaper here than equally made boots and still make a profit for themselves. Seems they're mostly known for their Razorback and Vellie models, and the Razorback is available in a steel toe which I'll probably try out next. The AR8 is a more traditional combat style looking boot. As much as I'd love to have these American made, I like how all the materials are locally sourced and they're trying to improve their local economy. I also like that they seem to be supporting the African Rangers who are in great need of quality gear to do what they do in the climate they do it in. Their style is very love it or hate it, I kinda like the oddness of them.

Anyway, here's one of the videos that got me interested.

https://youtu.be/VVMVZ-IZJG8

If you've never seen the Rose Anvil channel it's pretty cool if you're at all into boots/footwear. His basic theme is cutting everything in half so you can see the actual construction of the boot and in many cases you get to see where they're made great or where the maker cuts cost. It seemed like a gimmick at first but I'll admit it has become pretty interesting and I wish it was something I could see for all the footwear I buy. I can tell you without a doubt if you watch his videos about Nick's boots and Red Wing Iron Rangers you will definitely gain an understanding of why Nick's cost what they do and why they're among the best boots available anywhere.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Manixguy@1994

Re: Jim Green boots?

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

How do they compare to a Thorogood boot ? I have a new pair sitting in closet that I’m about to break in . I had many Red Wings and shop highly recommended them to me . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:29 pm
How do they compare to a Thorogood boot ? I have a new pair sitting in closet that I’m about to break in . I had many Red Wings and shop highly recommended them to me . Dan

I've only had a couple pair of Thorogood's Emperor Toe steel toe boots so it may depend on what boots you have, but the detail that sticks out is they had much softer but also thinner leather than the Jim Greens. I wore them today and they're breaking in pretty fast for how thick the leather is, but the outsole is super hard so not much shock absorption and probably not something you'd want to wear on concrete all day.
~David
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Mine is a soft toe made in USA . They feel good and like construction. I need to start wearing them to get a decent opinion . Thank you ! Dan
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
miohin

Post by miohin »

Rose Anvil also piqued my interest in Jim Green boots. Hoping to try out a pair of vellies in the coming months. Seems akin to a Clark's Desert Boot with more support (due to the shank).
Lurker
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Rose Anvil is a great channel!

I love the desert boot style (and grew up near the Clark’s factory in Somerset), looked into the Jim Green availability but really don’t need another pair of desert boots just yet.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:29 pm
I've owned at least 3 pairs of Red Wing boots ( USA made) over the years with 100% satisfaction. I would think that with the extremely rugged terrain that they have over in South Africa that any high quality boots made over there would pass the test.

I've never heard of this Jim Green brand of boots but based on the recommendations I would love to try a pair at some point. I know of a guy who is very popular in the survivalist field who is a retired Green Beret and he has always been high on the "Danner" brand here in the USA.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I haven't heard of them before, but they look like great boots for the price. Since I have been very happy with your sock recommendation, I think I will look into them further. Enabler D. 😉
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

miohin wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:58 pm
Rose Anvil also piqued my interest in Jim Green boots. Hoping to try out a pair of vellies in the coming months. Seems akin to a Clark's Desert Boot with more support (due to the shank).
That is probably what I will try out once I stop wearing a pair of Timberlands . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

A lot of the go-to boot companies have left the door open for smaller companies to make their mark and this is only one of those companies, Thursday is another one that's making high quality boots but they're a bit more business casual than I was looking for.

One of the big selling points for Jim Green to me is the wide toe box, which may not be aesthetically what you're into because they certainly do look different.
~David
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

I've never heard of Jim Green before. The company I work for used to have a boot truck visit every 8 months and I'd get a free pair of steel toe wolverines. Now they are in discussion to go with red wings but that's ongoing. I was currently looking at the Thursday logger boots but the Jim Greens look pretty dope for the price.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Steeltoez83 wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:20 pm
I've never heard of Jim Green before. The company I work for used to have a boot truck visit every 8 months and I'd get a free pair of steel toe wolverines. Now they are in discussion to go with red wings but that's ongoing. I was currently looking at the Thursday logger boots but the Jim Greens look pretty dope for the price.

The more I watch that Rose Anvil channel the more I'm shocked by how big name boot companies cut corners. It's kinda giving me trust issues LOL. I really wish he would expend into more steel toe boots because I think the viewer base would be huge for that, there are surely more guys doing jobs requiring steel toes than there are guys buying Iron Rangers and wearing them casually.

My issue with steel toes is I have wide Flintstone toes and even boots like the Red Wing King Toe and Thorogood Emperor Toe that have big toe boxes are too narrow. Most boot companies design their boots to taper narrower at the tip and that's the opposite of what I need. Right now my favorite are Keens but the treads don't last very long, I wear them smooth in about a year's time and that's saying a lot because I probably spend 75% of my day driving and not walking.

Anyway I'll probably get those steel toe Razorbacks eventually. I'll update this thread if I do.
~David
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

Adelante boots from my research seem to have more sizing options in the toe width more than everyone else from what I've seen. Not sure if they are steeltoe but it could be something to look at. Price is 280 ish for their boots.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Just got a pair of the steel toe Razorbacks in the mail today. I'll be wearing them around the house a bit at first to break them in a little and then I'll put them to work. My one complaint (of sorts) is that they're not waterproof, and that's a big deal for my work boots but I really have had enough of spending ~$250 a pair for "sneaker boots" that barely last me a year before the soles are wore smooth. I'll try to get some first impressions and pics up as I break them in for anyone who's interested.
~David
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Pair them with Darn Toughs. 😉
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

I had bought a pair of the razorback boots from jim green back in september, been holding off on a review till ive worn them.

Really excellent boot. The natural rubber sole has big lugs that grip well on the rocks here in wyoming. Wore them hunting quite a few days with my dog, and wear them anytime im not at work. Wish they had a composite toe line for work.

Deffinitely better than all the redwing boots ive had. My big issue with redwing is they dont fit my foot shape, and then rub a bit,the liners on redwing boots are cloth, with layers of cardboard behind it.

The jim green boots are solid full grain leather, and lined with some very smooth calfskin around the ankle and heel area. Much more comfortable and durable than redwings. I went to these from a well worn pair of zamberlains, and was impressed. Thats saying a lot,considering I could buy 3 pairs of these for what the zamerlains costed.
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Post by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives »

I wear 5:11 tactical boots and Doc Martens. I like light boots and not gonna lie. I am into trendy boots as opposed to quality. I also had bunion surgery. So I prefer comfort over heavy durability.
The boots I hate the most are Red Wings. Heavy as in wearing bricks and the most uncomfortable torture device I ever worn. Gave away a 3 day old near new pair to a young man who just loved them.
zenith2

Post by zenith2 »

I am South African.

A few friends have them and are very happy. Similar price to CAT etc here but customer service is great.

I use Groundcover Learher Vellies most days and my main work boot is Inyati from Frams (also South African). The only reason I do not use Jim Green is they are not SABS approved and for work our boots must be. The Inyati has been good but not as refined.

Below left is my Vellies and right is my Inyatis.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:44 pm
Just got a pair of the steel toe Razorbacks in the mail today. I'll be wearing them around the house a bit at first to break them in a little and then I'll put them to work. My one complaint (of sorts) is that they're not waterproof, and that's a big deal for my work boots but I really have had enough of spending ~$250 a pair for "sneaker boots" that barely last me a year before the soles are wore smooth. I'll try to get some first impressions and pics up as I break them in for anyone who's interested.

Just letting everyone know, these didn't work out for me, just didn't fit my foot/toe shape. They were very roomy in the toe box though so most people will probably love them. I also considered them for my new job but I knew the job I'm doing was going to have me on my feet all day so I went with some Carolina CA7011. They are surprisingly roomy, I've never tried moc toe boots, they're really not my style but they do provide extra room.
~David
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

The good thing about red wing is they list the last for every boot and shoe they make. The last is the mold they use to form the shape of the boot/shoe. Any style boot or shoe they make with the same last# should fit the same.
I've tried on a lot of red wing boots in their stores over the decades and know a lot of the last #'s that fit me good and bad. That lets me rule out those I know are bad for me and concentrate on the ones I know fit me well when it comes time to buy new.

Does anyone know of other boot makers that list their last #'s ?