School allows kids to carry knives!!!!!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
RustyIron

School allows kids to carry knives!!!!!

Post by RustyIron »

It warms my heart when youngsters learn to engage in responsible adult activities.

https://www.wboy.com/news/harrison/priv ... et-knives/
ladybug93

Re: School allows kids to carry knives!!!!!

Post by ladybug93 »

i sincerely hope no one ruins it for everyone by doing something foolish.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

The first time that I used a knife for self defense was around the age of 10 in Chicago. I had a Case pocket knife and 3 kids approximately 5 years older than me and much larger, chased me into a church where I sought refuge from their physical attack.

I opened the folder up and told them to leave me alone and they backed off. It wasn't the end of it of course, the Nuns got word of it and called me in. I cannot remember the punishment. It was a very valuable lesson for all involved and was not foolish.

I've been carrying knives ever since 2000 when I started to train in escrima/arnis and I'll carry them to the day that I leave this world.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

This is great! Most boys carried pocket knives when I was a kid, even to school. We never had anyone cut or stabbed. We learned how to use the responsibly from our parents and the Cub Scouts, and later the Boy Scouts.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I carried all throughout school but I'm also one of the last generations that had shop class and was actually taught to learn and not taught to take tests.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

When the Nuns needed a knife to cut something, they'd ask "who has a knife ?"
They didn't need to walk past the first row. They were fussy though and would look for one they liked.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:22 pm
This is great! Most boys carried pocket knives when I was a kid, even to school. We never had anyone cut or stabbed. We learned how to use the responsibly from our parents and the Cub Scouts, and later the Boy Scouts.
That’s how I learned too and from my grandfather who was a Case guy . As I got a little older Case Toothpick or a Sodbuster . Great memories. Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I carried a knife to school every day as well. And sometimes even a 20 ga. shotgun or my bow. But my siblings and I were home-schooled K through 12, so the rules were a little different. 😆
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Here, in Communististan, the laws regarding knife carry have changed significantly since I were in school.
Back then there were, to my knowledge, no laws preventing knife carry in school even for kids.
I don’t remember it being a big deal though. There isn’t much of a tradition for folders or pocket knives here, and beyond being very awkward I don’t think anybody could make case for carrying a fixed blade to school.
There really wasn’t much use for an EDC knife in that particular situation.
What I do remember is that we had a Mora Classic hanging next to the garbage can in the classroom. It was for anyone to use at any time if the need would arise. Typically we would use it to sharpen our pencils. My old school teacher didn’t like dedicated pencil sharpeners, and encouraged everyone to use the knife instead.
Also, whenever we had field days/trips to nearby forest areas, a knife was as obligatory as my lunchbox and a water bottle.

Sometime around my high school/college years I discovered the Leatherman multi tool and everything changed. I was in the electronics field and regularly needed some kind of tool throughout my day. The multi tool was the justification I needed.
I got my first LM for Christmas in 1996, a SuperTool. And carried it throughout my schooldays and well into my first job. Funny thing is that it was actually around that time (1996ish) that the current law was passed and put into effect, which made it practically illegal to carry any knife in a public space. Being quite young at the time, this change slipped under my radar and I continued to carry for many years, unaware of my unspeakable crime. Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

These days I’m back in the habit of EDCing a knife or even several. Not to willfully break the law, as I really consider my carry to fall under the very ambiguous exemption provided by the law. Fully aware that the police may disagree should my practice one day come to the center of their attention.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I almost always carried a knife (it was the Boy Scouts SAK style folder) when I was a kid. It was never an issue, and school never seemed to care. I never really used it at school, but it was generally in my pocket.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I remember back in junior high in the '70s, sometimes my friends and I would show our pocketknives during lunch break. I mostly carried a medium stockman, by Schrade or Buck, or a 2-blade jackknife by Camillus. I never even heard of Case around here back then. I first heard of Case in the late '90s.

I still recall one kid brought a Buck 110 knockoff that had a mirror-polished blade that he could flick open with a strong wrist snap. The kids were especially impressed with folding hunters, and SAKs that had all the bells and whistles.

I even recall comparing pocketknives in class with a male teacher who had been sharpening a pencil using a Buck Cadet. I showed him my Schrade. He was the one who introduced me to Buck Knives, and they were even local back then.

Jim
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I believe Conan also went to a school where the students carried blades.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:27 pm
I believe Conan also went to a school where the students carried blades.
:winking-tongue
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

I always carried a knife in school from Jr High on. The Case Sodbuster was a favorite and I lost it probably leaving it under the hood of a 72 Cutlass or a 70 Chevelle while working on it.

Also it was common for us deer hunters in school to have a shotgun hanging in the rear window of a truck or in the trunk with ammo in the school parking lot, anticipating going hunting when school let out.

1987 my school was more worried about boys with hair touching the shoulder or an earing. My, how the times have changed