Edge Pro Apex-Help!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Foehammer

Re: Edge Pro Apex-Help!

Post by Foehammer »

Coastal wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:22 am
By the way, there is no need to buy a loupe if your phone has a decent camera.
Haha unfortunately my phone doesn’t have the greatest camera, plus I just ordered a 10x loupe.

@TkoK83spy thanks for the clarification!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

You definitely can use your phone. I have a great phone camera, but only has 7x magnification. Takes a minute to focus it correctly. I think the loupe is faster and easier if you get a good one.

If you are interested, below is a good thread to read. I went with the Belomo and love its simplicity.

viewtopic.php?t=82628
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

Thanks to all the great advice here, a loupe, and some patience and practice: I just got my first mirror polish edge that I am satisfied with on some m390! It’s not perfect but it’s quite sharp, sharper than I was ever able to attain on my trusty old Sharpmaker! I’m very happy with it. I’m sure with some more practice I’ll be putting even better edges on knives, in time. Thanks again to all you fine folks, if you’re ever up my way I’ll be glad to buy you a beer! Really cannot stress how helpful you guys are!

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Hey Foe, all good advice but something else to consider that's extremely important. That being you can bet shillings to pence stone/hones are never the same thickness. So when you go from one to another there's nothing to guarantee your at the same angle you where at with the last stone.

I'd take a month of Sundays to try to explain how to over come it and I'd likely still not get it across so you're best off with Google but in a nut shell you use a second stop and the thickness of the first stone to set it and adjust for each stone.

Hope I haven't confused you, mate. It's simple once you see what it involves and it's probably the number one "trick" for getting the best out of any guided system.

Loupes, etc are good but they won't solve your problem and likely only frustrate you.

Here you go. Check this out. ;)

https://youtu.be/_G38QyE9YKk
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:11 am
Hey Foe, all good advice but something else to consider that's extremely important. That being you can bet shillings to pence stone/hones are never the same thickness. So when you go from one to another there's nothing to guarantee your at the same angle you where at with the last stone.

I'd take a month of Sundays to try to explain how to over come it and I'd likely still not get it across so you're best off with Google but in a nut shell you use a second stop and the thickness of the first stone to set it and adjust for each stone.

Hope I haven't confused you, mate. It's simple once you see what it involves and it's probably the number one "trick" for getting the best out of any guided system.

Loupes, etc are good but they won't solve your problem and likely only frustrate you.

Here you go. Check this out. ;)

https://youtu.be/_G38QyE9YKk

Thanks much!

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045