Anyone use a Straight razor/Artist Club razor/Shavette razor?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Anyone use a Straight razor/Artist Club razor/Shavette razor?

Post by Doc Dan »

I finally sent my newish paua shell handled straight razor off to have it professionally sharpened. It would shave okay, but not as good as I'd like. I got it back today, so tomorrow I am going to strop it on my buffalo leather strop and give it a go. Can't wait!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Well, I got my blue Paua shell razor back from the hone master. I shaved with it this morning and WOW! This razor is so comfortable to use and now that it is truly sharp, I got a very nearly BBS shave with it and didn't try to do that! No weepers, no nicks, no irritation, just a good, comfortable shave.

While it was gone, I shaved with one of my double edged safety razors. I got a spectacular shave, as I was expecting. However, there is something beautiful and comforting in using a properly honed straight razor.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Today, for Fat Friday, I am going to be shaving with Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap. I will be using a Rudy Vey custom brush with Muhle Silvertip Fiber knot (hair). My razor is going to be the amazing blue paua shell S.K. Colling straight razor. I'll get a picture later, after I shave.

This razor is so comfortable to use it is hard to believe. The blade is stable, no flex to pull and skip. It is confidence inspiring.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

A couple of my favorite razors, one is new, one is about 150 years old.
The new one is still being evaluated.

Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Very nice! That Colling is a great shaver, I know for sure.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:59 pm
Very nice! That Colling is a great shaver, I know for sure.
It is shaving as well as my best ones at the moment. I'm guessing the harder steel was giving me problems at first, but may have it sorted out now. I won't know for sure though until more shaves and taking it back to the stones a few times.

One thing I can say about it, the grind is perfect. The hone wear on bevels and spine are all identical (even and uniform) using perfectly flat stones. There are no geometry variations that I can detect, which is a first for me.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Mine is my favorite shaver. I have two other top notch razors and once properly sharpened, the Colling is the most comfortable. I think this is because the belly/horizontal stabilizer he grinds into the blade removes some flex and softens the feel. Very nice razors.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

It also appears to be about a half hollow grind, which is much stiffer than full.
The pipe razor pictured above is about 1/4 hollow.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Really? Mine is full hollow with a slight belly, but then again, I requested that.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Thickest(L) to thinnest(R), Colling in the middle.

sidpost

Post by sidpost »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:28 pm
For a safety razor, I'd recommend Henson.
How does it compare to an Edwin Jagger DE89 and Muhle 89 versions? I generally prefer the Fatip safety razor though.

On a related note, what blades do you prefer the most? I notice a good amount of variation with a safety razor when I use different DE blades. Luckily, I stocked up significantly prior to the Ukraine conflict and Covid, but my regular sources right now are out of action so I need to think about where to get more blades.

TIA,
Sid
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

sidpost wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:22 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:28 pm
For a safety razor, I'd recommend Henson.
How does it compare to an Edwin Jagger DE89 and Muhle 89 versions? I generally prefer the Fatip safety razor though.

On a related note, what blades do you prefer the most? I notice a good amount of variation with a safety razor when I use different DE blades. Luckily, I stocked up significantly prior to the Ukraine conflict and Covid, but my regular sources right now are out of action so I need to think about where to get more blades.

TIA,
Sid
Welcome to the forum. I actually have a thread on this. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=91149
A lot of this gets discussed there. I have a DE89 and it is a great razor, but, like the Muhle, it is not durable. Those are made of Zamax and will eventually wear out. I can't comment on the Fatip except to note they are inexpensive. If they work, that's what matters. The Henson is made by a company that specializes in making things for the space industry: Mars rover, space station, etc. Their tolerances and quality are superb. Probably the Henson ++ (medium) is the closest to a DE89, though the + (mild or standard) might be the right one. The terms don't really mean the same thing with Henson because it clamps the blade and bends it, removing any movement at all. There is no blade exposure, either. You are not likely to get any irritation, no cuts, no weepers. Just put the flat, preset angle against your face, keep it that way, and go.

As for blades, I like Feather and Nacet best. They are extremely sharp. For something less sharp I like Voshkod.

I don't use my DE razors much, nowadays. I do sometimes. I mostly use one of my straight razors. I get an amazing shave and no issues at all. In 150+ shaves I have nicked or cut myself only 4 times. I've done more than that with the DE89.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Those are some expensive razors!

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

For sure. As much as I'd like to try out some of those pristine 200+ year old razors, guess I'm stuck gambling on the $20 ebay beaters.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

oops

Not a straight razor, but still funny.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kennbr34

Post by kennbr34 »

I got a Naniwa Gouken 12k hone. It's SO much better than Shapton's 12k was. I don't know what is up with Shapton's QC, but I'm really glad I found the Naniwa. Got it for about $50 too which is much more affordable. Been giving me a great shave. I don't even remember if I stropped on plain leather last time or shaved right off the hone, but it was a very nice shave.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I should probably get me a premium 10-12k synthetic to see what all the fuss is about.
Ric

Post by Ric »

sidpost wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:22 am

How does it compare to an Edwin Jagger DE89 and Muhle 89 versions?

TIA,
Sid
Hi Sid,

Muhle 89 Is a superb razor. Very smooth.
I use with muhle blades but feather also work great.
Needs a bit different technique but similar as the Henson.

Henson has less blade feel and less sound.
Works best with Astra blades.
RK does not work for me. Feather are too aggressive.
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Post by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives »

Nope. I do not have the balls or enough hair on my chest to use a straight razor of any sort. Not even a traditional safety razor. I struggle with disposable razors. I went the wuss route and bought a Norelco One blade. Much respect to those who can shave with a straight razor. I don't have enough man to even attempt it.