Anyone use a Straight razor/Artist Club razor/Shavette razor?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Anyone use a Straight razor/Artist Club razor/Shavette razor?

Post by Doc Dan »

The Gold Dollars use much softer steel. They don't hold an edge nearly as long as a better straight razor. They are good for practice only, in my inexperienced opinion.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I'll continue experimenting, maybe as my knowlege and razor honing skills improve, I'll find a recipe that consistently works with the gd. It's fun to try, but also frustrating.

Have you tried the lapping tape yet?
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

No yet. On the list to do this week.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Well, I got my Ariana & Evans Amber Rose Shaving Cream and put it to the test. It is really slick and holds up well with a straight razor. I could even do touch ups without re-lathering. The smell is just wonderful. It is like going to an Eastern Orthodox Church and smelling the incense. It smells like rose, incense, and a bit of spice. Very nice, indeed.

Like all A&E soaps I had to take the top off, wet it, and let it air out overnight to get the scent to bloom. After using it things only got better. It will continue to improve in shave quality and smell as I use it.

I got a very fine, close shave, without any effort. This soap gave me confidence. It is the new Kaizen 2e base.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I also got some Speick. This shaving soap stick is okay. It isn't terrible, but La Toja seems slicker, to me. It is about like Arko. The scent is very light and kind of pine-like. I got a good, close shave, but though I had no burn, my face felt a bit irritated, somehow. There was little residual slickness compared to other soaps. However, it didn't leave my face feeling dry like Arko does. So, overall, it was okay. I think it would do for a tertiary backup. Artisan soaps are better and La Toja is a better stick and good for travel, too.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Well, I don't need that Speick. I have found the wonders of Mitchell's Wool Fat shaving soap. I got a glorious shave and my face was left feeling really good and hydrated. You have to treat this soap right, though. It needs a lot of rehydrating by soaking in the bowl or container overnight submerged in water. Once that is done, great shaves are ahead.

I like the smell, too. It is clean. It is light, too, so if you like aftershave this soap won't interfere. You won't need a balm or any lotion with this soap, that's for sure.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Mitchells is a very thirsty soap. I think the complaints about it dissipating too fast is due to not using enough water, I made this mistake myself early on.
I don't keep the puck hydrated, just wet end of brush and rub on dry puck to pick up a little soap, then whip up in a cup with lots of water. It took a while for me to figure out how much water is enough.

Glad you're having good experience with straight razors. Most people give up pretty quick.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I really enjoy the straights. I enjoy the safety razors, too. I hate those multiblade and cartridge abominations.

I hydrate the Mitchell's like I do the Trumper's and use a brush with the water squeezed out. I add a bit as I go and get good results. With Mitchell's, there is enough slickness that even if the lather has dissipated a person could still shave. Soaking the puck overnight is apparently what Mitchell's recommends.

I'm going to try the Marc method, next. https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/th ... ps.199887/

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I suspect the recommendation to keep mitchells hydrated is to maybe speed up the lathering process?. I don't like a soggy puck and don't mind the extra time it takes. I also have to wonder if the tallow seperates while setting wet for long periods.

Touched up both razors yesterday on a black ark followed with bare leather. Shaved 2 days growth this evening with the clauss and mitchells. So much better than my double edge.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

jpm2 wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:05 pm
I suspect the recommendation to keep mitchells hydrated is to maybe speed up the lathering process?. I don't like a soggy puck and don't mind the extra time it takes. I also have to wonder if the tallow seperates while setting wet for long periods.

Touched up both razors yesterday on a black ark followed with bare leather. Shaved 2 days growth this evening with the clauss and mitchells. So much better than my double edge.
I don't think it will separate. I seem to remember reading that the folks at Mitchell's suggest this is the right way. I can say it makes my lather thick and creamy. Is this the best shaving soap ever devised?

I agree that it is better than the safety razors of any kind. I had to take my wife somewhere yesterday and grabbed a double edged safety razor out of my cabinet with a new Shark blade and did two fast passes. I normally need two with buffing or three passes with a little buffing. I just didn't like the way my face felt. So, in the evening, I showered and got out my straight and had at it. I got a great shave in two passes. Sure, I could do a third and do BBS, but I wasn't aiming at that. Just a good, close shave. I was finally happy. Today, I used that same razor with the MWF soap and thought again how great a combination these two things are, straight razor and Mitchell's Wool Fat.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Best soap ever devised? haha maybe, certainly better than anything so far... but it's the only tallow soap I've tried. I might try a different one with tallow when this gets used up, but that might be a while.

Right now, I'm experimenting on streamlining sharpening and touchups.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Here are some How To resources for those interested in straight razor shaving.

I have this book in my library. It is not up to date, but it does have some good information: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/43166/4 ... 3166-h.htm

I also have this: file:///Users/docdan/Downloads/SR%20Shaving%20Instructions%20Rev%20F.pdf

Here is a modern guide on B&B: https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wi ... or_Shaving

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I love my Thiers Issard razor. I am thinking of getting another one. The question is, do I get another one exactly like this one so I have a pair, or do I get one that is different. If I get one that is different, that opens up a whole different can of worms. Do I get the same design, or do I get a different design (Same profile, singing hollow or half hollow grind)? Do I get a different material on the scales, such as black horn or pistachio wood?

What say you?

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Well, nix all that. I just ordered a razor from a custom maker in Australia named Steve Colling of Prosperine Razor. I am getting a 6/8 Spanish Point, full hollow grind, with paua shell scales. I can't wait to get it!

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ric

Post by Ric »

Nice.

You need to hone the razors often?
You use the for every shave or only when you are in the mood / have time?
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Ric wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:19 pm
Nice.

You need to hone the razors often?
You use the for every shave or only when you are in the mood / have time?
I shave everyday with a straight razor. I don't have to hone them often. I have around 60 shaves or a little more on that Thiers Issard you see above since it was properly honed. I will need to send it off before long. It is still shaving impeccably, but most people get around 80 shaves or so before needing to hone. I send mine to a professional to have it honed.

I am going to start learning to do it myself, soon. I have the lapping film and a flat sheet of tempered glass and a cheap Chinese razor to practice with.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Okay, I know I posted this in the Spyderco Straight Razor thread, but here it is again. This is my Steve Colling of Prosperine Razor in Australia that I asked him to make for me. I chose the blade size and shape, as well as the paua shell scales. He made the razor and it only needs to have the scales attached and it will be in the mail to me. Colling uses the same steel as Ralf Aust and it is run around 62 HRT. Look at how beautiful this is!Image

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

If it shaves and maintains as well as it looks, it'll be a winner.
I think both those makers import blanks from one of the last solingen makers in operation.
I've thought about trying one to see how it stacks up against vintage blades.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

jpm2 wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:34 pm
If it shaves and maintains as well as it looks, it'll be a winner.
I think both those makers import blanks from one of the last solingen makers in operation.
I've thought about trying one to see how it stacks up against vintage blades.

On the way. This custom order was only around $160 to have it made the way I wanted. I opted for no blade etching. The scales are enough bling for me. Anyway, that price is very reasonable. He has options that are cheaper. He also as 0-1 steel on full custom razors, if desired. This blade is 1.2210 high carbon is 1.22% C and 0.8% Chromium. He says he runs them up to 62 HRT. It ought to do really well.

I've got his contact if you want it.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ric

Post by Ric »

I am going to start learning to do it myself, soon. I have the lapping film and a flat sheet of tempered glass and a cheap Chinese razor to practice with.
I can imagine leather and diamond paste should work. As well as the ultrafine spyderco benchstone.
That's why the rich men in former times had 7 straight razors. One for each day.

The pics did not work :(