Anyone use a Straight razor/Artist Club razor/Shavette razor?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
sidpost

Re: Anyone use a Straight razor/Artist Club razor/Shavette razor?

Post by sidpost »

For those of you afraid of Safety Razors, you are really missing out! Not only is it SIGNIFICANTLY CHEAPER (100 blades for <$10 in many cases), it is awesome for the skin on my face. Exfoliating might not sound manly but, it is nice and it really works.

In terms of being scary, buy a "mild" Safety Razor. The Edwin Jagger 89 as seen on Amazon is a good place to start but, it is by far not the only good choice. I actually prefer something a little more aggressive for getting a BBS (Baby Butt Smooth) shave with one pass.

A good shave cream also helps with the facial care and makes the safety razor shave really comfy and luxurious! A few extra dollars for a better shave cream than you get at the typical big box stores is super nice. <$10 a puck or can is a world of difference than the normal pharmacy store options.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

There is a thread about safety razors. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=91149

This thread is about straight razors. You don't have to change a blade on a straight razor. :grin-squint
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Post by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives »

sidpost wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:08 am
For those of you afraid of Safety Razors, you are really missing out! Not only is it SIGNIFICANTLY CHEAPER (100 blades for <$10 in many cases), it is awesome for the skin on my face. Exfoliating might not sound manly but, it is nice and it really works.

In terms of being scary, buy a "mild" Safety Razor. The Edwin Jagger 89 as seen on Amazon is a good place to start but, it is by far not the only good choice. I actually prefer something a little more aggressive for getting a BBS (Baby Butt Smooth) shave with one pass.

A good shave cream also helps with the facial care and makes the safety razor shave really comfy and luxurious! A few extra dollars for a better shave cream than you get at the typical big box stores is super nice. <$10 a puck or can is a world of difference than the normal pharmacy store options.
Brother I can handle stubble and extra disposable shaves. I do have a safety razor I packed in my bug out bag with 20 single edge blades. But I hate it sliced my neck open. Which was my fault.
What I do like about the safety razor is that blades are dirt cheap. The disposables I buy are getting very expensive and not good for the landfills or environment.
I may try to go back to the traditional safety razor. Just for economics alone.
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:38 am

This thread is about straight razors. You don't have to change a blade on a straight razor. :grin-squint
Be a wuss like me. Go the Hotel co One Blade route. :zany
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Has anyone used dr harris marlborough shave soap ?
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

JoshLikesSekiCityKnives wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:06 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:38 am

Be a wuss like me. Go to the Norelco One Blade route. :zany
sidpost

Post by sidpost »

sidpost wrote:

In terms of being scary, buy a "mild" Safety Razor. The Edwin Jagger 89 as seen on Amazon is a good place to start but, it is by far not the only good choice. I actually prefer something a little more aggressive for getting a BBS (Baby Butt Smooth) shave with one pass.ormal pharmacy store options.
Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:05 am
Brother I can handle stubble and extra disposable shaves. I do have a safety razor I packed in my bug out bag with 20 single edge blades. But I hate it sliced my neck open. Which was my fault.
What I do like about the safety razor is that blades are dirt cheap. The disposables I buy are getting very expensive and not good for the landfills or environment.
A mild safety razor shouldn't slice your neck even with poor technique. In terms of being environmentally friendly, the DE blades are an easy win. Being a fraction of the cost also is another win in my book.

If you are getting blood loss with your shave, either your safety razor is the wrong choice for your face, the blades are a bad match for your face and razor, or your shave cream and technique are letting your down. I don't want to derail this thread with a long-winded discussion of safety razor and DE blade options so, I will stop here but feel free to reach out to me offline for further discussion.
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

sidpost wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:30 pm
sidpost wrote:

In terms of being scary, buy a "mild" Safety Razor. The Edwin Jagger 89 as seen on Amazon is a good place to start but, it is by far not the only good choice. I actually prefer something a little more aggressive for getting a BBS (Baby Butt Smooth) shave with one pass.ormal pharmacy store options.
A mild safety razor shouldn't slice your neck even with poor technique. In terms of being environmentally friendly, the DE blades are an easy win. Being a fraction of the cost also is another win in my book.

If you are getting blood loss with your shave, either your safety razor is the wrong choice for your face, the blades are a bad match for your face and razor, or your shave cream and technique are letting your down. I don't want to derail this thread with a long-winded discussion of safety razor and DE blade options so, I will stop here but feel free to reach out to me offline for further discussion.
Trust me when I say this. It's my technique to blame and my fault. On top of using a.cheap $15 Target safety razor.I will PM you later.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

sidpost wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:30 pm
sidpost wrote:

This is a good discussion for the other thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=91149 There are many in that thread who could benefit from the discussion.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Anyone have experience with Koraat razors?

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

sidpost wrote:
For those of you afraid of Safety Razors, you are really missing out! Not only is it SIGNIFICANTLY CHEAPER (100 blades for <$10 in many cases), it is awesome for the skin on my face.

You, sir, are absolutely correct. I've been using a safety razor for a long, long time. Sometimes when you switch to something new, you don't immediately appreciate the benefits. It's only when you go back to the old ways that you realize how awful they are.

When I started with safety razors, I was coming from disposable razors. Sometimes I would use an electric shaver. It wasn't long before I became so spoiled that the electric razor felt like a hedge trimmer. They feel like hedge trimmers, and yet they don't give a close shave. Ugh. Going back to a disposable razor isn't much better. Disposable razors feel like my safety razor after the blade has gone dull and I've been too lazy to take the 60 seconds to replace it. Disposable razors are DULL and irritating.

The other area where I've become spoiled is with shaving soap. I use ONLY soap from Saponifico Varesino. It's not cheap. A puck costs about fifty bucks. But it will last a year. So I guess it really IS cheap. I was on a trip not long ago and tried to get by with canned shaving cream. It was awful, like slathering an odorous toxic chemical on my face. Gross.

Razors and shaving cream are not unlike knives: You get what you pay for. Throw down some cash on the good stuff, and live happily ever after. Buy the five dollar gas station knife... and be like the guy who carries a five dollar gas station knife.

IMG_9887.jpeg
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I’m also convinced that money spent on good soap is money well spent!

I visited Taylor’s of Old Bond Street shop last week. It was great to smell the stuff before buying.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Yes, better soaps are worth it. Not all of the better soaps are expensive, either. A good soap is especially important with a straight razor. A lot of well loved soap fail with a straight razor.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I discovered something. I found out that I like a pinch grip on the razor with the handle sticking straight out and not up or down. I get more control.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:55 pm
I discovered something. I found out that I like a pinch grip on the razor with the handle sticking straight out and not up or down. I get more control.
Now that I think of it, 90% of the time I'm doing the same. I reckon the blade is best balanced this way.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

It seems so, to me, with my ham hands. I might try a kamisori one day.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Well, I've got a Kamisori type razor coming from S.K. Colling. It will be a while, yet. Still, I'll be glad to get it.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:31 am
Well, I've got a Kamisori type razor coming from S.K. Colling. It will be a while, yet. Still, I'll be glad to get it.
How will you protect the edge when stored. Does he provide some type of guard?
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

jpm2 wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:03 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
I haven't figured that out, yet. This is a first for both of us. I'm his guinea pig. :grin-squint

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:43 pm
jpm2 wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:03 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
I haven't figured that out, yet. This is a first for both of us. I'm his guinea pig. :grin-squint
That's cool. You should have him mark it as such, might have collector value some day.
I've been thinking of molding some type of kydex or aluminum guard for my home made one. In the meantime, it's got cardboard.