Anyone use a Straight razor/Artist Club razor/Shavette razor?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Anyone use a Straight/Artist Club/Shavette razor?

Post by Doc Dan »

Five shaves finished with the same good results. I got a very fine shave (VFS) with no cuts, no weepers, and no irritation.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I recommend getting some Thayer's witch hazel for any shaving. It will help your skin draw back up tight and after about 20 minutes, rough patches go away. Good stuff.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ric

Post by Ric »

Used my Shavette yesterday.
Was not bad but I prefer a DE razor, it's easier overall.

The second pass I did with the AL13+++ and cut myself. I really felt the blade digging into the skin.

Goal for the next shaves:
More concentration and not shaving in a hurry, especially not with the +++
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Ric wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:52 am
Used my Shavette yesterday.
Was not bad but I prefer a DE razor, it's easier overall.

The second pass I did with the AL13+++ and cut myself. I really felt the blade digging into the skin.

Goal for the next shaves:
More concentration and not shaving in a hurry, especially not with the +++
Hahaha! Sorry to laugh, but of all things you cut yourself with the Henson +++ and not the shavette!

Do you have a straight razor? I'm drooling over a Ralf Aust handmade razor (Germany). Are there any top notch Austrian straight razor makers that I've not heard of?

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ric

Post by Ric »

I tried some Boker but they were not sharp. Even after resharpening.

I did not find a good shop here. Often the razors are very expensive but because they use exotic handle materials. The blade itself is mostly crap. Stainless and not sharp out of the box.

I checked 3 shops. In one work only men with beards in the other girls…
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Try Ralf Aust. I think you will be happy. His come shave ready. There is also Koraat. They are fine and extremely sharp, but I don't care for most of his designs. His colorful 14-2.0 seem pretty good to me. http://koraat-knives.at/english/

I am going to get a Ralf Aust. https://rasiermesser-manufaktur.de/en/ralf-aust/
I like his designs and have been really impressed by his work. He uses really good steel and you can get stainless or carbon steel. His razors are highly regarded.
https://youtu.be/5hH4qYqbgdg This is a video of an interview with him and a look at his shop.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

New straight razor inbound. I ended up getting a real bargain on a Thiers Issard Medaille D'Or Exposition Alger with blond horn handles. I was going to get another brand of handmade razor, but this one came up within my budget. Normally, I can't afford these (or won't afford them). It will be here, tomorrow, and I'll post pictures.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

My new straight razor. Thiers Issard with blond horn handles. Model Medaille D'Or Exposition Alger. Beautiful. Shaves really well.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ric

Post by Ric »

Beautiful.
Hope Spyderco will release one one day.

Isn’t the horn too slippery?
Is it as sharp as the others?
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Ric wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:43 pm
Beautiful.
Hope Spyderco will release one one day.

Isn’t the horn too slippery?
Is it as sharp as the others?
Not really, but you don't really hold the handle, anyway. I do only when I am going S to N on my neck against the grain, otherwise it is sticking out from my fingers.

It came from the factory shave ready. It is not as sharp as I'd like, so I am sending to the guy who sharpened my other razor. He uses Japanese stones instead of diamond paste so his edges are smooth and sharp. Wonderful feel and balance to the razor.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Re: Anyone use a Straight razor/Artist Club razor/Shavette razor?

Post by Doc Dan »

Here is a fun video. It shows one method of holding the razor and how to shave with a straight razor. All straight razors have to be professionally honed before using them the first time. It is probably best to buy from a place that does this before sending the razor that you bought from them to you.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I sent my new razor off to have it professionally honed. I didn't think it was sharp enough, though it would shave. I got a couple of weepers and that let me know it wasn't sharp because I had to force the blade a little. So, I popped out that splendiferous H. Diamond 1000 and some Geo F Trumper Rose Shave Cream and got a great shave. I like that cream. I was my first time using it. It smells like a bouquet of expensive roses or a rose garden, not those neutered cheap ones without smell they try and pawn off on us, nowadays. Smells great.

Then, yesterday evening, the guy sent my razor back. I loaded up my brush full of Martin De Candre Rose Shaving Soap. I got a really nice shave. What a difference a proper sharpening can make! The soap is lighter smelling and has a couple of other background scents. It is nice, but comparing the shaves, realizing it was only one each, I like the Trumper better and it is cheaper.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Going on 3 years now straight razor shaving. My 2 regulars are a Clauss Magnetic, and Boker Red-Ingun 101.
I can't see myself going back to a double edge.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I can. I still love my Hensons, but I enjoy this so much more. It takes time, patience, and skill. I also like the ritual of stropping before and after, cleaning and oiling the razor, and other such things, putting on witch hazel, then a good moisturizing aftershave.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I suppose unsteady hands or bad sight would cause me to revert back... or if I had to shave every day.

My double edge is great if I shave at least every other day, but after that, not so much.
A straight doesn't care how much growth I have.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I shave 6 days a week. I wouldn't like to stop using my straight razors. I just need to find some good soaps. For my face, just because a soap was good for my safety razors doesn't mean they work as well for a straight razor. So, the hunt is on. I used Ariana & Evans Peaches and Cognac today. Wow! What a great soap! Very slick and the residual slickness was great, too. The razor just glided across my face. I'd rather have a comparable cheaper soap, though.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

After a properly honed and stropped razor, I feel soap is next important for sure.
I've not tried the soap you mention, but maybe Mitchells Wool Fat is comparable except for fragrance?
So far it's my favorite, slick and cushiony, doesn't leave my face feeling dried out, little to no fragrance (which I prefer).
Costs $3 to $3.5\oz.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I need to try that soap. I've been reading good things about it on Badger and Blade.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I got some Ariana and Evans Peaches and Cognac soap a few days ago. It makes glorious lather and gives glorious shaves. Even with the straight razor, the blade glides smoothly and effortlessly across my skin. I am able to get super close shaves in only two passes. The residual slickness is so good I can touch up missed places without re-lathering. This is the slickest soap I have ever used in my entire life.

It smells a bit like, well, peaches soaked in cognac. It was really strong when new, but I left the top off for a few hours on two successive days after using and it has toned down to a nice fragrance. I love this soap so much I ordered a different scent.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

You're making it hard for me to resist ordering some.