Anyone use a Straight razor/Artist Club razor/Shavette razor?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
jpm2

Re: Anyone use a Straight razor/Artist Club razor/Shavette razor?

Post by jpm2 »

Took another chance on an old ebay razor. It's a near wedge with barber notch and I think celluloid handle. There are no hone marks or any sign of use. These style blades and markings usually pre-date 1870. It has some staining and light pitting. $25 to my door.

Tang is marked:
Frederick's
Celebrated Razor
Shefield

The blade is etched:
The Keen Edge Razor

I think it's going to clean up nicely.

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

That looks to be a nice razor. I always like that barber's notch. What is the grind?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

It's barely hollowed, I'd say a near wedge. The blade is hefty compared to the other 2 I use.
L to R
Frederick's, Wosteholm pipe, Colling.

Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Wow! That is really thick. It must weigh a ton. It looks like a wedge grind, alright.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

It weighs exactly 2 ounces. The Wostenholm is 1.6 oz, Colling 1.3.
It is well balanced, just forward of the pivot.

Got it honed up, takes a very good edge.
So far it's delivered good shaves.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

How did cowboys, explorers, and others maintain their straight razors so far from civilization? Not all wore beards. Many men shaved. Did they pack a leather strop, a set of sharpening stones, etc? For certain they packed stones because they had to sharpen ax and knife. Those are too coarse for a straight razor, so that would mean extra stones and more gear.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:03 am
How did cowboys, explorers, and others maintain their straight razors so far from civilization? Not all wore beards. Many men shaved. Did they pack a leather strop, a set of sharpening stones, etc? For certain they packed stones because they had to sharpen ax and knife. Those are too coarse for a straight razor, so that would mean extra stones and more gear.
That’s a good question. I don’t know what stones were available back in those days.

If I were in that situation right now and felt the need to shave, which I probably wouldn’t, I could get by with just a 4x2x1/2” surgical black or translucent Arkansas. My skin would serve as a strop.
kennbr34

Post by kennbr34 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:03 am
Well, thave always seen the old west lore that going to a barber for a shave was a once-in-a-while luxury, and that most of the time you couldn't really get a shave that close. Of course, as with most things about the old west, that was probably fairly exaggerated.

I don't think it's too unlikely that they simply shaved with a normal knife. I can get a decent shave with a pocket knife and a "fine" hone, it list won't be a very close one.

I remember watching a documentary years back about homeless people living in the NYC subway system and they interviewed one guy who shaved with a broken piece of glass.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

There is little doubt that modern disposable razors are convenient. They usually weigh very little and several would only weigh a few ounces. They can be carried and used during camping trips without much of a payment in weight. However, if a person were homesteading or camping for extended periods, they are less than optimal because they cannot be resharpened and they become unusable, non-rotting waste when dull. In these scenarios, a straight razor or two make good sense. They don't produce waste, can be resharpened, and can be re-tasked for other purposes once the end of its life is reached after a great many years. A straight razor can substitute for a knife in an emergency, too. This would ruin the fine edge, but time spent on the stones would bring it back to life.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I am normally lost in thought, living in my head. Music is something I enjoy from time to time, but not a passion. However, having on a Brahms or Bach Cello concerto while using a straight razor is something special. Other classical masters work, too. These things, razor and classical music, go together like bread and butter. I had an excellent time shaving, today. I used my S.K. Colling straight razor, Rudy Vey STF brush, and Mitchell's Wool Fat shaving soap. It was special, as I listened to one of Brahm's cello concertos.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I hadn't used my Razorock Game Changer .84P double edged safety razor in well over two years. I decided to get it out and use it. It is a really good looking razor. It's stainless steel has good weight and is made right. Everything is crips. I put in a really smooth and sharp Nacet blade. The shave was harsh. I didn't enjoy it at all. I have other DE razors that are really good. In fact, I was missing my straight razors. I get a better, smooth, no drama shave with my straights.

So, today, I got out my Thiers Issard straight razor, a really elegant knife. I lathered up with Arko shaving soap stick and at the first stroke, I was happy. I had a much more pleasant, and close shave with the TI than the GC. If I could sell that GC I would.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:31 am
I hadn't used my Razorock Game Changer .84P double edged safety razor in well over two years. I decided to get it out and use it. It is a really good looking razor. It's stainless steel has good weight and is made right. Everything is crips. I put in a really smooth and sharp Nacet blade. The shave was harsh. I didn't enjoy it at all. I have other DE razors that are really good. In fact, I was missing my straight razors. I get a better, smooth, no drama shave with my straights.

So, today, I got out my Thiers Issard straight razor, a really elegant knife. I lathered up with Arko shaving soap stick and at the first stroke, I was happy. I had a much more pleasant, and close shave with the TI than the GC. If I could sell that GC I would.
Now that you've decided to sick with straights, have you considered adding a vintage to the stable?

I've sort of become obsessed with the old near wedge heavy blade Sheffields. The last few months, I picked a few up off the bay for cheap and been working on them (cleaning, re-pinning, straightening, honing, etc). One needed a new handle, so decided to give it a try. I'm more than pleased with the results, and it's a top shaver to boot.

Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Nice. My only vintage is a Japanese razor. I bought an H. Diamond straight razor as my first straight razor. It is wonderful.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

You should try a near wedge razor.
Just as I can't go back to a DE, I can't go back to the thin hollow grind as long as I have a thick blade available.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I may have to look for one of those. The nearest I have come is a hollow ground with a horizontal stabilizer that runs the length of the blade just above the edge. It really smooths out the shave.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I think the weight of the blade and curved edge also contributes to a smoother shave.
Along with that is easier maintenance and way less prone to cracks.

As far as I know, none of the makers do them like this anymore, and haven't since around 1900. I geuss when they're gone, they're just gone. If Spyderco brings one to market, I hope they make them like these. This style by far demands the highest prices. They are pretty much all I'll buy anymore.

Here's the type I'm talking about.
What they all have in common - Thick, 3/4 - 1 inch tall, near wedge, curve spine and edge, made in Sheffield, horn handle, barber notch, early to late 1800's.

Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

My dream is to have a 7 day set of blond horn Thiers Issard straight razors, each with the respective day of the week engraved on the spine.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

That would be a nice set.
I'm always on the lookout for blonde horn but so far, none I like at a reasonable price.

I have 5 of a 7 day set of George Wostenholm razors, Wed-Sun. Just cheapies with plasic handles, 4/8 blades, no case.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I could do with only 6 razors because I normally give my face a day of rest each week.

I can dream, but I have other things to do with my money so one more is all I'll likely get, and that will be a Spyderco (at least for the foreseeable future. If my books start selling then I'll definitely get more).

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050