T12 steel? (Nontron, Laguiole)

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
bleasure

T12 steel? (Nontron, Laguiole)

Post by bleasure »

I've poked around but found scanty info on T12 stainless steel, used on Nontron & Laguiole knives. About to finally get myself a Nontron and curious about the steel. The company sites call it stainless, but the zknives site info has no chromium whatsoever in the makeup, so obviously something's missing here. Does anyone know much about it? I understand Sandvik 12C27/13C26/14C28/AEB-L are roughly similar in properties and makeup, and get used on these and similar knives as well. I'm wondering how T-12 compares. Thanks!
TomAiello

Re: T12 steel? (Nontron, Laguiole)

Post by TomAiello »

I have a Nontron I've used a fair bit, and it performs basically like AEB-L in my experience. The French knives are really interesting, because they basically use geometry rather than super-steel in pursuing their cutting performance.

I think the T12 on the zKnives site is a different animal (made in the UK). Nontron's website says their T12 is made in France.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

This is a link the page where they describe their exclusive steel:
https://forge-de-laguiole.com/en/forge/ ... the-forge/
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:07 pm
I have a Nontron I've used a fair bit, and it performs basically like AEB-L in my experience. The French knives are really interesting, because they basically use geometry rather than super-steel in pursuing their cutting performance.

I think the T12 on the zKnives site is a different animal (made in the UK). Nontron's website says their T12 is made in France.
oh interesting! that makes sense. and thanks for sharing - yeah, my opinels have no problem for just the reason you point out. you don't happen to have ever seen one of the giant number .50 sizes in person have you? trying to gauge just how giant they are

JR, thanks! That was the only site I'd found with any info on the steel, but what's there didn't seem to reveal much. I'm really curious about this now - how proprietary is this formula, how different from inox/sandvik is it etc
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I thought you may have seen that page already. I suspect that it is the only information available outside the company. From their vague description I'd be tempted to put in in the 420HC or AEB-L range.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Another nice article about the company. Now I really want one. https://www.gearpatrol.com/home/a569527 ... s-profile/
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:58 am
Another nice article about the company. Now I really want one. https://www.gearpatrol.com/home/a569527 ... s-profile/
right? i'm fixated on a nontron for now but i will have a laguiole eventually. the problem for me with this particular wormhole is how many incredible, minor regional variations there are in france alone, all of which i want