NFL 2022-2023 Season

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacLaren

Re: NFL 2022-2023 Season

Post by MacLaren »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:18 pm
They are literally going berserk here in KC. We got major M-80s and C-4 going off everywhere here where I live.

I doubt if anyone goes to bed before 4:00am. Truthfully I didn't think the Chiefs were playing well enough to win.

Now everyone is saying that Andy Reid may be retiring before the week is out. Who would take his place?????
Congrats Joe
Man, I would be shocked if he retired.
But, I've already been shocked once tonight lol
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

MacLaren wrote: Man.......this is just....
The Eagles were on pace to to hang 50 on the Chiefs......this is bullchit man
Really weird game, could be the fact that the whole season felt scripted but the Eagles dominated the first half then forgot how to play football in the second. I don’t know what to think.

That secret stuff clip was mostly posted in jest but it was partly serious. I knew they were shooting up Mahomes ankle with as many painkillers as the league legally allows. I also had a weird feeling that the Chiefs were still going to win even though the Eagles were dominating. That AFC Championship game will never sit right with me. It truly changed my perception of how this league is handled. 🤑
-Nick :bug-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I can't wait until tomorrow morning when Stephen A. Smith has to eat his words. All week long he never gave the Chiefs even a remote chance.

Truthfully I wouldn't have made a bet on this game as closely matched as the two teams were. This was probably the most even matched teams I ever remember in the big dance.

I just love it when all the self professed experts are wrong. There were only about 2 sportswriters that even gave the Chiefs a chance. I do hope Andy Reid doesn't retire. He has Mahomes in his best years right now.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Yeah all the sports radio stations here in KC have been talking about Andy Reid possibly retiring for the past two weeks. I would love to know how that rumor got started.

One more item of discussion>>> this might be enough to finally land Eric Bieniemy a head coaching job. If he doesn't get one now he never will I don't believe.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:27 pm
MacLaren wrote: Man.......this is just....
The Eagles were on pace to to hang 50 on the Chiefs......this is bullchit man
Really weird game, could be the fact that the whole season felt scripted but the Eagles dominated the first half then forgot how to play football in the second. I don’t know what to think.

That secret stuff clip was mostly posted in jest but it was partly serious. I knew they were shooting up Mahomes ankle with as many painkillers as the league legally allows. I also had a weird feeling that the Chiefs were still going to win even though the Eagles were dominating. That AFC Championship game will never sit right with me. It truly changed my perception of how this league is handled. 🤑
Me & you both.....that AFC title game was like nothing I've ever saw before. It was that bad.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

JD Spydo wrote: I can't wait until tomorrow morning when Stephen A. Smith has to eat his words. All week long he never gave the Chiefs even a remote chance.

Truthfully I wouldn't have made a bet on this game as closely matched as the two teams were. This was probably the most even matched teams I ever remember in the big dance.

I just love it when all the self professed experts are wrong. There were only about 2 sportswriters that even gave the Chiefs a chance. I do hope Andy Reid doesn't retire. He has Mahomes in his best years right now.
I wish I bet on this game, I would’ve made a LOT of money!!! I should’ve talked to mattress Mack and I could’ve made his money back from all those other recent blunders he’s been part of and then some!!! (Or we would’ve bet too much that we’d end up swaying the the results the other way :thinking )
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Reid isn't retiring. Questionable call maybe offset two others in the other direction. Don't know, but it was a good superbowl.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

The obligatory holding call as expected. But was surprised by the Chief's running back laying down just before the goal line. Really ?
I get the clock control and all that, but... Really ?

Was there some points spread betting thing going on there ?

I liked sports better before all this on line gambling during games.
Last edited by shunsui on Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

It was way past the over already. It was strategy to use time.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Yeah, changed it to point spread.

Just seemed strange to see a runing back stop like that in the Super Bowl.

On a happier note, glad to see Don Coryell made it into the Hall of Fame.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I believe the “on field” justification for that is to run the clock down as far as possible to give the Eagles as little time as possible to put together a comeback drive but I wouldn’t be surprised if there was some outside influence due to betting as well. I’m of the belief that the game results ultimately would have been the same regardless of how or if they scored on that drive but this season turned me into more of a skeptic than a fan.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Here I am beatin a dead 🐎
Anyways, here's to the upcoming draft & next season. 😃
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I saw that post ;)

I don’t know though, to keep it short, that last call just doesn’t sit right me. Especially since that same penalty wasn’t being called throughout the whole rest of the game. It was some peculiar inconsistency, at the least.

Like I said before the game though, I’m still too much of a sucker and still too obsessed with the Patriots to abandon all hope. I’ll always watch with my fair share of skepticism now but I can still enjoy what I’m watching.

With that said, I’m with you, bring on the draft! Go Pats! ;)

Lastly, Congrats to the Chiefs :party-face and LOL @ the Eagles, you suck!!! :purple-devil
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:48 am
I saw that post ;)

I don’t know though, to keep it short, that last call just doesn’t sit right me. Especially since that same penalty wasn’t being called throughout the whole rest of the game. It was some peculiar inconsistency, at the least.

Like I said before the game though, I’m still too much of a sucker and still too obsessed with the Patriots to abandon all hope. I’ll always watch with my fair share of skepticism now but I can still enjoy what I’m watching.

Lastly, Congrats to the Chiefs :party-face and LOL @ the Eagles, you suck!!! :purple-devil
Yeah man.....I couldn't help it!
The fact that the Eagles forgot how to play in the 2nd half and just what you said, they all the sudden throw that flag knowing dam well that will absolutely determine the game.....oh well, lol
Yeah, let's get ready for the draft 😃
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Ha! I shouldve posted this yesterday...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

cabfrank wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:58 pm
Reid isn't retiring. Questionable call maybe offset two others in the other direction. Don't know, but it was a good superbowl.
Yeah that info about Andy Reid possibly retiring ended up being a big flaky rumor for sure. But the two big sports radio stations here in KC were sure feeding on it for about 10 days.

Why would Andy Reid retire when he's got probably one of the 5 best QBs in NFL history along with a general manager that is just killing them in the last two drafts. I can see Andy Reid being the Chief's coach for another 6 to 8 years easily. And Brett Veach is without a doubt the best GM in the entire NFL>> or at least in the top 3.

I can't wait until the 2023 NFL Draft>> they way that Veach and Reid killed it this past year was absolutely awesome. I've never seen Kansas City as hyped over the Chiefs as they are now. You would have to go back to the Derrick Thomas, Neil Smith days to see anything close to it.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:11 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:48 am
I saw that post ;)

Yeah man.....I couldn't help it!
The fact that the Eagles forgot how to play in the 2nd half and just what you said, they all the sudden throw that flag knowing dam well that will absolutely determine the game.....oh well, lol
Yeah, let's get ready for the draft 😃
Yeah I can't wait for the 2023 NFL Draft myself.
The Chiefs are going to have a bunch of draft picks from that Tyreek Hill trade along with some others they accumulated. If the Chiefs get their defense a bit stiffer I think they could see an undefeated season in the next two years. They now also need a new back up QB>> Chad Henne announced his retirement yesterday.

I would love to see them get Nick Foles for a back up.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

It’s understandable that Chiefs fans confidence is at it’s highest right now, they’re Super Bowl Champs. Also, the Chiefs have a bright future with Patrick Mahomes and Andy Reid together but they’ll never have an undefeated season. I’m confident there will never be another undefeated team in the NFL unless the league is ever sold to the WWE.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:59 pm
It’s understandable that Chiefs fans confidence is at it’s highest right now, they’re Super Bowl Champs. Also, the Chiefs have a bright future with Patrick Mahomes and Andy Reid together but they’ll never have an undefeated season. I’m confident there will never be another undefeated team in the NFL unless the league is ever sold to the WWE.
You might be absolutely right for one reason alone. Because the defensive side of the game is getting far more sophisticated than it ever has been. For that reason alone it's extremely hard to run the table anymore. But if the Chiefs were to get another Derrick Thomas type player with the offense they got now they could have a chance at it with the talent they have now.

And the NFL is a completely different game than it was in the 80s when the 84-85 Bears won it all playing pure "smash mouth" football. But that can't happen again either because of all the rule changes. And when the Miami Dolphins did go undefeated in 72 it was only a 14 game season.

If you all want some nostalgic entertainment pull up the 1984 NFL game between the Los Angeles Raiders vs The Chicago Bears. There were close to 20 players that were taken off the field. The Raiders literally ran out of QBs in that game due to injuries. The Raiders even tried to get their punter Ray Guy to fill in as QB. The 84-85 Chicago Bears were lucky they didn't kill someone as mean as they played that year. But that game if you've got the time and the stomach to watch it is the most brutal sporting event I ever witnessed. I remember seeing it live back in the day.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

It's hard not to like Patrick Mahomes & Andy Reid as well.
I've always loved Mahomes & Big Red (Reid) as they are. I just absolutely hate bad officiating.
At any rate, I hear Joe. Nick Foles would be a fantastic choice.
Nick, I was thinking about the N.F.L. & WWE last night myself. This is what made think of it..