MagnaCut Production Folders

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
RamZar

MagnaCut Production Folders

Post by RamZar »

Please list any Regular Production Folders (no Customs) which use CPM-MagnaCut steel blade. If you have the hardness of the MagnaCut steel please include it.

• Acta Non Verba A100 [HRC 64]
  • Benchmade CLA
  • Boker Plus Collection 2023 Manaro
  • Boker Sherman
  • Boker Trppr
  • Case Nebula Marilla SMKW Exclusive
  • Case Storm Shadow Marilla SMKW Exclusive (Upcoming)
  • Chris Reeve Sebenza 31 [HRC 62] Next: [HRC 63-64]
  • GiantMouse ACE Tribeca
  • Heretic Knives Colossus OTF
  • Hogue Deka [HRC 61-63]
  • Hogue Doug Ritter Mini RSK Mk1-G2 KnifeWorks Exclusive [HRC 63-64]
  • Hogue Doug Ritter RSK MK1-G2 Knifeworks Exclusive [HRC 63-64]
  • James Brand The Slider
  • Kershaw Launch 15
  • Kershaw Leek
  • LionSteel Emerson L.E.One [HRC 61-62]
  • LionSteel Nano [HRC 60.5-62.5]
  • McNees PM MAC2 Auto [HRC 63-64]
  • McNees PM MAC2-3.5 [HRC 63-64]
  • Medford Praetorian “T”
  • Medford Slim Midi
  • Microtech Ultratech D/E OTF
  • Microtech UTX-85 D/E OTF
  • Pro-Tech Malibu
  • Pro-Tech Runt 5
  • Pro-Tech Terzuola ATCF [HRC 60-61]
  • Pro-Tech Terzuola Tuxedo [HRC 60-61]
  • Pro-Tech TR-3 [HRC 60-61]
  • Sharps Bros. Meanstreak
  • Spyderco Manix2 (Upcoming)
  • Spyderco Native5 PE & SE
  • Spyderco UKPK PE & SE (Upcoming)
  • Tactile Bexar [HRC 60-61]
  • Tactile Rockwall [HRC 60-61]
  • Woods Monkey By LT. Wright

CRUCIBLE CPM® MagnaCut Data Sheet

CPM MagnaCut – The Next Breakthrough in Knife Steel

What is the Best Hardness for MagnaCut Knives?

Last edited by RamZar on Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:20 pm, edited 30 times in total.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
JRinFL

Re: MagnaCut Production Knives

Post by JRinFL »

Edited to add: No longer a valid response due to refocussed thread subject. --> Bradford Guardian 3 - Not exclusives, but they are made in limited batches for now.
Last edited by JRinFL on Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:49 pm
Bradford Guardian 3 - Not exclusives, but they are made in limited batches for now.

Thanks. Slipped my mind. I even got an email from Bradford.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Do the Medford's, Mcnees's and Bark River's count?
•• Beau
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Does the McNees MAC2 count as production?
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Buddafucco wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:01 pm
Do the Medford's, Mcnees's and Bark River's count?
abbazaba wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:06 pm
Does the McNees MAC2 count as production?

I believe Medford and Bark River are regular production but NcNees is Custom. I could be wrong.

Chris Reeve Knives are considered Midtech and they’re still regular production. Medfords are priced at custom levels but they’re also regular production. James Brand are usually custom but they have a MagnaCut coming at production prices.

I have one regular production MagnaCut folder: Tactile Rockwall Golf (60-61 HRC Blade Hardness) which I received today.
RamZar

Re: MagnaCut Production Folders

Post by RamZar »

I changed the criteria to just folders (no fixed blades): Regular Production Folders with CPM-MagnaCut Steel Blade.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Medford Slim Midi
Medford Praetorian
I think the McNees Mac2 and Mac2 AutoMac would be considered semi-production or Midtechs also. I've seen a couple short interviews with Mr McNees and it sounded like he's trying to go more towards production and less custom.
These are starting to get into the grey area of... how many knives have to be produced to be considered a production knife. I've never really looked into that, maybe there's an answer?

LionSteel has the Nano in Magnacut upcoming. I don't think it's released anywhere, but I don't follow LionSteel very closely.
•• Beau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Knifeworks had a Hogue Large MSK Ritter in Magnacut that was on preorder. Already sold out and no knowledge if more will be made . Full payment was required so no list for cancellations. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:36 pm
Knifeworks had a Hogue Large MSK Ritter in Magnacut that was on preorder. Already sold out and no knowledge if more will be made . Full payment was required so no list for cancellations. MG2

That Doug Ritter RSK MK1-G2 Knifeworks Exclusive - CPM MagnaCut and Carbon Fiber - Sprint Run made by Hogue is on pre-order. I was trying to exclude Exclusives & Sprint Runs.

I know SMKW has a Case exclusive in MagnaCut.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Buddafucco wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:29 pm
Medford Slim Midi
Medford Praetorian
I think the McNees Mac2 and Mac2 AutoMac would be considered semi-production or Midtechs also. I've seen a couple short interviews with Mr McNees and it sounded like he's trying to go more towards production and less custom.
These are starting to get into the grey area of... how many knives have to be produced to be considered a production knife. I've never really looked into that, maybe there's an answer?

LionSteel has the Nano in Magnacut upcoming. I don't think it's released anywhere, but I don't follow LionSteel very closely.

My understanding is that Custom is supposed to be all made by hand. What if some parts are somewhat mass-produced by machines? Some high-end production folders, including midtechs like CRK and the more premium Spyderco folders from Taichung like Stovepipe, are almost as good as the best Customs.

For now, let’s include those five from Medford, McNees and in the list.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

McNees has a non-custom line called PM: “The McNees Performance Machined [PM] Line is a labor of love. Striving to bring a more affordable line of knives to the market. This is not the easiest or most profitable route but it's important to McNees to keep this made in the USA. All the outsourced work on these is done in the USA and a good portion of the work is done in shop, including fitting locks, detents and sharpening.”
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Let’s include all regular production folders including Exclusives & Sprint Runs. Just exclude Customs & Fixed Blades.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Sorry , MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:44 pm
Sorry , MG2

No problem. Let’s include all production folders including Exclusives & Sprint Runs. Just exclude Customs & Fixed Blades.

Thank You.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I updated Post #1 to include all production folders with MagnaCut including Exclusives.

PS - It’s tough to include a nearly $1K Medford as a production folder!
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Here's a Woods Monkey Banana Peel in Magnacut at BladeHQ... https://www.bladehq.com/item--Woods-Mon ... na--174146
I've seen them around but I don't know if they would be considered a production knife? Price is reasonable.
•• Beau
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Buddafucco wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:21 pm
Here's a Woods Monkey Banana Peel in Magnacut at BladeHQ... https://www.bladehq.com/item--Woods-Mon ... na--174146
I've seen them around but I don't know if they would be considered a production knife? Price is reasonable.

At that price it's safe to say it's not a custom folder and I added it to Post #1.

Go figure that at $129.95 and then you have the Medfords at $1K!
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The Knifeworks Exclusive Hogue Doug Ritter RSK MK1-G2 MagnaCut (HRC 63-64) and Carbon Fiber (reminds me of the Fluted CF on the Native5) is due to ship in mid-September. I'm hoping they'll make one with a 2.99" blade length. Gorgeous CF and nice stonewash finish on the blade! Made by Hogue in the U.S. and using the ABLE lock which is very similar to the Axis lock.

RamZar

Post by RamZar »

In Post #1 I’m filling in the MagnaCut Hardness for the folders with available information.