NASA James Webb Space Telescope First Images

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
RamZar

NASA James Webb Space Telescope First Images

Post by RamZar »

Truly amazing and it'll only get better.

You can click on individual images and then download at the highest resolution so that you can zoom in.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nasawebbt ... 0300469752

The GIF image below of the Galaxy Field SMACS 0723 (4.6 billion light-years away) is a comparison of James Webb Space Telescope and Hubble Space Telescope.

https://youtu.be/TS1k5XVSX5w
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: NASA James Webb Space Telescope First Images

Post by Doc Dan »

Isn't that just amazing? I can't wait to see what else it gives us.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Pretty darn cool.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Very cool. Blows my mind that we are looking back in time.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Truly awe inspiring.

FB_IMG_1657740593914.jpg

Ok seriously, it's pretty incredible.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Blast from the past D. I remember that from my childhood.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Amazing stuff. Check out the videos that Smarter Every Day has on it on Youtube. Pretty cool to finally see it in action.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Incredible. But what about the other universes? 🙀
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Even higher resolution images available for download at (scroll down to images which say Zoomable Image):

https://webbtelescope.org/news/first-images/gallery

In the future, we’ll see images of those early galaxies in greater detail.

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

This is as cool as the the first image of a black hole (M83) that the event horizons telescope captured. Can't wait to see what else is in store for JWST, I'll be watching closely.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Bdubs808 wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:45 pm
This is as cool as the the first image of a black hole (M83) that the event horizons telescope captured. Can't wait to see what else is in store for JWST, I'll be watching closely.

One of the plans, this next year, is for the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) to team up with the Event Horizon Telescope (EHT) to get better images of Sagittarius A* (the supermassive black hole at the center of our Milky Way galaxy) which EHT first imaged in May 2022 (image below).

wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Getting a handle on the scale of things is my biggest challenge with Webb.

Curation of Webb’s first deep-field image likens its field of view to what you could see through a grain of sand held at the length of your arm.

Just imagine how many grains of sand you would need to have full coverage from your point of view.

And how many galaxies are hinted in this first deep-field image alone?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:01 pm
Getting a handle on the scale of things is my biggest challenge with Webb.

Curation of Webb’s first deep-field image likens its field of view to what you could see through a grain of sand held at the length of your arm.

Just imagine how many grains of sand you would need to have full coverage from your point of view.

And how many galaxies are hinted in this first deep-field image alone?

The scale of the Universe is truly mind-boggling! What’s also incredible is that the visible Universe (all the stars and galaxies we see in various wavelengths) encompass only about 5% of the matter in the Universe. The rest is Dark Matter (27%) and Dark Energy 68%). Beyond speculation, we really don’t know what they are. We know Dark Matter exists due to the gravitational effect it has on visible matter and we know Dark Energy exists due to the accelerated expansion of the Universe.

RamZar

Post by RamZar »

James Webb Telescope Breaks Record for Oldest Galaxy Ever Observed: The galaxy, called GLASS-z13, dates to just 300 million years after the Big Bang and it’s 13.4 billion light-years away. It’s a very small galaxy at just 1,600 light-years across whereas our Milky Way is about 100,000 light-years across.

Last edited by RamZar on Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
juggler

Post by juggler »

Science almost feels like magic sometimes!
Attachments
webb.jpg
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Anyone who thinks our planet is the only one to harbor life after seeing the sheer number of galaxies, and the untold billions of stars and planets that are out there, truly has their head in the sand.

Have we ever been visited? Maybe? Probably not. The distances are so vast. And if a civilization has achieved that level of technology then we would be as ants to them as ants are to us. No way to truly communicate.

But we have Spyderco so... I guess it all works out in the end? Lol
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

soc_monki wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:18 am
Anyone who thinks our planet is the only one to harbor life after seeing the sheer number of galaxies, and the untold billions of stars and planets that are out there, truly has their head in the sand.

Have we ever been visited? Maybe? Probably not. The distances are so vast. And if a civilization has achieved that level of technology then we would be as ants to them as ants are to us. No way to truly communicate.

But we have Spyderco so... I guess it all works out in the end? Lol

The distances even within our own Milky Way galaxy are already vast and outside of it incomprehensibly far. I’m sure there are other living intelligent and sentient beings out there but they’re all far away islands. The Voyager spacecrafts have been traveling since 1977 at a speed of around 38,000 MPH and are now only slightly outside our Solar System. Remember a light-year is about 6 trillion miles and we’re nowhere near traveling at the speed of light which is about 670 million MPH. The fastest spacecraft is NASA’s Parker Solar Probe with a top speed of 430,000 MPH.

RamZar

Post by RamZar »

U.S. Postal Service announced that the telescope will be featured on new stamps available September 8 (pre-orders begin Aug. 8).

https://store.usps.com/store/results/stamps/_/N-9y93lv

RamZar

Post by RamZar »

JWST imaged the Cartwheel Galaxy which is usually shrouded in dust 500 million light-years away.

For full resolution images go to:
https://webbtelescope.org/contents/medi ... 2RNSQWTCTH
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

This stuff is crazy. It really makes me ponder existence, ours, and others.