NASA James Webb Space Telescope First Images

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
RamZar

Re: NASA James Webb Space Telescope First Images

Post by RamZar »

Webb NIRCam composite image of Jupiter from three filters – F360M (red), F212N (yellow-green), and F150W2 (cyan) – and alignment due to the planet’s rotation. Credit: NASA, ESA, CSA, Jupiter ERS Team; image processing by Judy Schmidt.

Webb NIRCam composite image from two filters – F212N (orange) and F335M (cyan) – of Jupiter system, unlabeled (top) and labeled (bottom). Credit: NASA, ESA, CSA, Jupiter ERS Team; image processing by Ricardo Hueso (UPV/EHU) and Judy Schmidt.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
RamZar

Re: NASA Artemis 1 Moon Mission

Post by RamZar »

Back to the Moon and onto Mars! It was 50 years ago when we last had astronauts on the Moon! Liftoff is scheduled for Monday, August 29, 2022 at around 8:30am weather permitting. Artemis 1 is a dry run unmanned mission.

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

It's an unmanned mission, but there will be a few mannequins covered in sensors along for the ride. So called phantoms, kinda creepy and definitely something out of Doctor Who.
Orion looks impressive.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Bdubs808 wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:41 pm
It's an unmanned mission, but there will be a few mannequins covered in sensors along for the ride. So called phantoms, kinda creepy and definitely something out of Doctor Who.
Orion looks impressive.

Yes. The manikins inside Orion have lots of sensors. Like crash dummies but a lot more sophisticated.

Commander Moonikin Campos will wear one of the new Orion Crew Survival System spacesuits that will include two radiation sensors.

The Orion spacecraft on Artemis 1 going to the moon will include two manikin torsos made of materials to mimic human tissue. They will be equipped with thousands of sensors to measure radiation in deep space. One will wear a radiation protection vest while the other will not, to test the vest’s effectiveness.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The Phantom Galaxy (M74):
The last image is a comparison of three images, one that is the Hubble Optical capture, one that is a combination of Hubble and the JWST, and finally one that is simply JWST.
Last edited by RamZar on Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

It's humbling, hard (impossible) to comprehend, and amazing.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

NOTE! If you like these and ANY other images on the Internet and you want to download them, do it from the original source or if on a Windows desktop computer, use the "Snip and Sketch" tool to screen grab the image.

Hackers Hide Malware in Stunning Images Taken by James Webb Space Telescope, August 31, 2022
https://thehackernews.com/2022/08/hacke ... mages.html

I never downloaded malware from any links here but other websites may not be as forgiving. If you don't save anything directly from the Internet and take a screen shot of it, that would be a wise habit to secure.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Naperville wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:41 pm
NOTE! If you like these and ANY other images on the Internet and you want to download them, do it from the original source or if on a Windows desktop computer, use the "Snip and Sketch" tool to screen grab the image.

Hackers Hide Malware in Stunning Images Taken by James Webb Space Telescope, August 31, 2022

I never downloaded malware from any links here but other websites may not be as forgiving. If you don't save anything directly from the Internet and take a screen shot of it, that would be a wise habit to secure.

FWIW, NASA has a free app with access to its entire image library (and their image library is online here. Downloads are also free, and you can choose what size/resolution you'd like.

Your warning is good advice for everyone; thanks for sharing!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

TazKristi wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:26 am
Naperville wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:41 pm

FWIW, NASA has a free app with access to its entire image library (and their image library is online here. Downloads are also free, and you can choose what size/resolution you'd like.

Your warning is good advice for everyone; thanks for sharing!

Kristi
Thank you!

I have had trojans and worms on my systems, and I am very careful where I get my downloads from. It happens to everyone eventually. I primarily "Snip and Sketch" tool to screen grab an image even if it is on NASA's website. Even they get hacked.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The malware embedded in an image is triggered like other phishing malware by the user usually opening a file which in this case is a Microsoft Word document. If you stick with known sources for JWST images you're pretty safe. We all include image links on forums be that from Spyderco, dealers or user images.

Safe Websites for JWST Images:
https://webbtelescope.org/news/first-images/gallery
https://www.stsci.edu/jwst
https://images.nasa.gov/
https://www.esa.int/ESA_Multimedia/Images
https://blogs.nasa.gov/webb/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nasawebbt ... 0300469752
https://www.instagram.com/nasawebb/?hl=en
Last edited by RamZar on Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

For the first time, astronomers have used NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope to take a direct image of a planet outside our solar system!

This image shows the exoplanet HIP 65426 b in different bands of infrared light, as seen from the James Webb Space Telescope: purple shows the NIRCam instrument’s view at 3.00 micrometers, blue shows the NIRCam instrument’s view at 4.44 micrometers, yellow shows the MIRI instrument’s view at 11.4 micrometers, and red shows the MIRI instrument’s view at 15.5 micrometers. These images look different because of the ways the different Webb instruments capture light. A set of masks within each instrument, called a coronagraph, blocks out the host star’s light so that the planet can be seen. The small white star in each image marks the location of the host star HIP 65426, which has been subtracted using the coronagraphs and image processing. The bar shapes in the NIRCam images are artifacts of the telescope’s optics, not objects in the scene.
Credit: NASA/ESA/CSA, A Carter (UCSC), the ERS 1386 team, and A. Pagan (STScI).
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Tarantula Nebula

These images are a composite of separate exposures acquired by the James Webb Space Telescope using the NIRCam instrument. Several filters were used to sample different infraraed wavelength ranges. The color results from assigning different hues (colors) to each monochromatic (grayscale) image associated with an individual filter. In this case, the assigned colors are: Red: F444W Orange: F470N Green: F200W Blue: F090W

RamZar

Post by RamZar »

NEPTUNE by JWST

RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Spiral galaxy IC 5332 images by JWST & HST

RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The NASA DART planetary defense mission is to test our ability to deflect an incoming asteroid away from Earth by ramming a spacecraft into it. It will take a few more weeks to determine if the path of the Dimorphos asteroid (7 million miles away from Earth and weighing about 5.5 million tons) was successfully changed. The spacecraft did impact the asteroid at 4 miles per second and the impact was captured by both JWST and HST as seen in the first image below. The second image is DART’s final approach and 2 seconds before impact. Finally, the last complete image of asteroid moonlet Dimorphos, taken by the DRACO imager on NASA’s DART mission from ~7 miles (12 kilometers) from the asteroid and 2 seconds before impact. The image shows a patch of the asteroid that is 100 feet (31 meters) across. Ecliptic north is toward the bottom of the image. This image is shown as it appears on the DRACO detector and is mirror flipped across the x-axis from reality.

troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

RamZar wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:06 pm
The NASA DART planetary defense mission is to test our ability to deflect an incoming asteroid away from Earth by ramming a spacecraft into it. It will take a few more weeks to determine if the path of the Dimorphos asteroid (7 million miles away from Earth and weighing about 5.5 million tons) was successfully changed. The spacecraft did impact the asteroid at 4 miles per second and the impact was captured by both JWST and HST as seen in the first image below. The second image is DART’s final approach and 2 seconds before impact. Finally, the last complete image of asteroid moonlet Dimorphos, taken by the DRACO imager on NASA’s DART mission from ~7 miles (12 kilometers) from the asteroid and 2 seconds before impact. The image shows a patch of the asteroid that is 100 feet (31 meters) across. Ecliptic north is toward the bottom of the image. This image is shown as it appears on the DRACO detector and is mirror flipped across the x-axis from reality.

That was neat to watch live. It was odd to cheer for a loss of signal as a success though.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Pillars of Creation

The pillars are a small region within the Eagle Nebula, a vast star-forming region 6,500 light-years from Earth.

HST on the left & JWST on the right:
Last edited by RamZar on Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

So crazy amazing. Almost unbelievable. Thanks for posting.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

cabfrank wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:00 pm
So crazy amazing. Almost unbelievable. Thanks for posting.

The scale of it is mind-blowing.

Stretching roughly 4 to 5 light-years, the Pillars of Creation are a fascinating but relatively small feature of the entire Eagle Nebula, which spans 70 by 55 light-years.

One Light-Year = 5.88 Trillion Miles

The Earth's circumference is "only" about 25,000 miles!