Canadian Opening Action

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ykspydiefan

Canadian Opening Action

Post by ykspydiefan »

This line/scene came to mind recently, it is not fully fleshed as a "joke" but I hope you find it funny.

Scene. Person walks into a sporting goods shop and is looking through the knife display. Asks to see a knife, handles it and the customers service person asks, "How does it feel?"

The customer responds, "The action is so "Canadian" I can't reach into my pocket to pay, so it's got to go away. Thanks."

Or, Person walks into a sporting goods shop. While looking at the display, a customer service person asks, "Is there any thing you would like to see."

The person replies, "Yes, that X knife, as long as the action is not "Canadian.""

For me, it is one of those things.... Like what else can you do but laugh? The reality is silly and some what futile but I can still get the knives I like. Also, embracing it in a way eases the tension. I am sure there is a better joke out there about knives that require 2 hands to open.

Please feel free to share your stories/jokes of knives with "Canadian Opening Action." Not about the politics, about the knives, please.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
Sanderguy777

Re: Canadian Opening Action

Post by Sanderguy777 »

Is it that they require two hand to open?

If so, then I would add my experience with my Gerber Gator in 154cm. It is basically the most grippy handle, with one of my favorite blade shapes. The issue is that it can't go in my pocket because it's so grippy and it barely fits in the "sheath" it comes with. But more to the point of this post is that the blade has no thumb studs, no Emerson Wave, no assistance, not even a nail nick! But, if your hands are just the perfect moistness, you can open it with your thumb, sometimes without a reset. I decided to return it because I didn't like it, and wanted something a little better for my needs (pocket clip and not 2" wide (it was huge LOL), but I'll definitely buy one for hunting after I move to Missouri! )
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

I imagine the point is that most of our stuff has to be tightened down to the point of barely opening to get across the border.

Then the kid behind the counter, who may not know any better and isn't allowed to "modify" the piece anyway, has to sit there all day and listen to people talk about how stiff the action is.

You are left to hope centering and action will be okay, take it home, loosen the pivot, see if the blade is centered, the action is okay, and possibly take it apart to make sure the washer or bearings weren't damaged by being tightened to the point they may as well have been in a 1 ton press.

Now this is typically big box stores. Most of the actual knife stores service their pieces before putting them on display or selling them, in my experience.
mahd7766

Post by mahd7766 »

Several years ago I ordered a left handed folder from Canadian knife maker Kirby Lambert. I met him at the Blade Show Atlanta Ga. to take delivery. As I was examing the knife and testing the opening and closing he stopped me and said I need to loosen the pivot screw a bit. Told me that to avoid any problems with crossing the border they tighten the pivot to make it impossible for the blade to be deployed by flipping, shaking or flicking. If it can be deployed in that manner its subject to confiscation.
Sanderguy777

Post by Sanderguy777 »

mahd7766 wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:37 pm
Several years ago I ordered a left handed folder from Canadian knife maker Kirby Lambert. I met him at the Blade Show Atlanta Ga. to take delivery. As I was examing the knife and testing the opening and closing he stopped me and said I need to loosen the pivot screw a bit. Told me that to avoid any problems with crossing the border they tighten the pivot to make it impossible for the blade to be deployed by flipping, shaking or flicking. If it can be deployed in that manner its subject to confiscation.
That makes sense. I thought that they meant that the mechanical system has to require two hands to open. Not that you can have a switch blade, so long as the action just doesn't function during border crossing LOL.

So it can't open at all unless the blade is physically helped by the user? Or it can't be operated at all by one hand? Because I don't think anything I own would fall into the seconds category. Even the Gerber Gator I had was technically able to be opened with one hand....