Almost lost my hand, possibly still might.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
OldHoosier62

Re: Almost lost my hand, possibly still might.

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Thank you everyone for the kind thoughts. I do appreciate them very much.

Yes, the ride to the hospital was unpleasant to say the least. Between learning to deal with pain from previous experiences and probably shock I made it without too much difficulty.

My guys were worried though... I'm a retired Marine that has a very "colorful" vocabulary most of the time but they told me later that I never swore or yelled during or after the injury. They said I stopped, asked for my spare shirt from the truck, cut it up and dressed the wound and proceeded to have them call a wrecker and prep everything for when the FD arrived. After they extricated me I oversaw the safes move and then asked to go to the hospital. Again, I attribute most of this to dealing with previous injuries and mild shock. I was more worried about bleeding on the ladies carpet than my problems. Odd, but true. Everyone was worried I was having / going to have another heart attack.

Twinboysdad.... Of course it was my primary (R) hand. Fortunately I can do about anything, except write, with my left hand thanks to previous injuries.

Doc Dan.... You are 100% correct... A one-handed knife is essential.
Last edited by OldHoosier62 on Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I pray you heal quickly. I just recovered from a much less severe injury and surgery on my finger. I found the injury and the surgery to be less painful overall compared to getting my hand strength back after the cast/splint was off.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:30 am
I pray you heal quickly. I just recovered from a much less severe injury and surgery on my finger. I found the injury and the surgery to be less painful overall compared to getting my hand strength back after the cast/splint was off.
I'm seriously dreading physical therapy. The complications have put that off over month now and my hand has been immobilized for longer. It's going to be miserable when it starts.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Truly sorry to hear about your hand but glad it wasn't worse. Hope you recover and things eventually get back to normal for you
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

OldHoosier62 wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:39 am
Thank you everyone for the kind thoughts. I do appreciate them very much.

Yes, the ride to the hospital was unpleasant to say the least. Between learning to deal with pain from previous experiences and probably shock I made it without too much difficulty.

My guys were worried though... I'm a retired Marine that has a very "colorful" vocabulary most of the time but they told me later that I never swore or yelled during or after the injury. They said I stopped, asked for my spare shirt from the truck, cut it up and dressed the wound and proceeded to have them call a wrecker and prep everything for when the FD arrived. After they extricated me I oversaw the safes move and then asked to go to the hospital. Again, I attribute most of this to dealing with previous injuries and mild shock. I was more worried about bleeding on the ladies carpet than my problems. Odd, but true. Everyone was worried I was having / going to have another heart attack.

Twinboysdad.... Of course it was my primary (R) hand. Fortunately I can do about anything, except write, with my left hand thanks to previous injuries.

Doc Dan.... You are 100% correct... A one-handed knife is essential.
I read Marine and went “aaaah, ok”. Have you switched all your pocket clips to LH?
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I'm so sorry to hear what happened to you!! You're absolutely correct in that you just never know. I pray you recover completely sir!
How you kept from letting the colorful vocab rip is a testament to you!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

I'm cleared to go back to Indiana. Have a consult in Louisville, KY on Monday with supposedly some of the best hand doctors in the country. My ride should be here shortly.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

OldHoosier62 so sorry about your misfortune. I really hope the Dr.s can save your hand.
You’re a valiant man pushing your friend out of the way like that. I’m sure you did it without even thinking.

Have a safe trip back home and just try to take it easy.

Best wishes for a quick recovery.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Hope you get better.

Maybe get a lawyer and have a little talk with the company that made that "unbreakable" dolly.

I actually cant stand the lawsuit happy culture we live in, but this could be a faulty equipment issue that can get somebody killed.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

VooDooChild wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:13 pm
Hope you get better.

Maybe get a lawyer and have a little talk with the company that made that "unbreakable" dolly.

I actually cant stand the lawsuit happy culture we live in, but this could be a faulty equipment issue that can get somebody killed.
VooDoo, I agree. I was a rigger for the earlier part of my life and relied on equipment like “dollies” not to maim or kill me.

If the dolly indeed has a S.W.L (Safe Working Load) or W.L.L (Work Load Limit) tally stamp and the limit was not exceeded when the failure occurred. I’m tipping a solid case exists.

Even if the workload limit was exceeded, here in Oz (from memory) a safety factor of 3 exists on lifting gear etc. (and a safety factor of 10 on gear used to lift personnel). Meaning you can theoretically exceed the S.W.L/ W.L.L by 3. i.e gear that is stamped S.W.L/W.L.L : 1 Ton, can indeed be loaded to 3 Ton and still not fail.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

Wow -- what a horrible injury -- hoping the best possible outcome so that you can regain maximum facilitation from here forward.

Ts and Ps wished your way.

-- SB / BRUCE
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Good heavens man, that’s brutal. Glad you had such composure, and I hope you regain all use.

I’ve tangled with a 700-lb safe myself and luckily it landed in the driveway and not on people parts. The pallet it came mounted to crumbled when we kicked back on a HD dolly, and around and down she went.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I somehow missed this thread over the past few days! Very sorry to hear of your misfortunes. Though you do know it could have been much worse, this is still a lot to have to deal with. I can't imagine, especially to your primary hand.

As you mentioned complacency, it's something I think about everyday at work. Doing tasks I do every day, that could easily become dangerous with the smallest variable change. People need to hear and read things like your story here. Thanks for sharing, and wish you the best during your recovery.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Man, that is awful! I wish you the best and most speedy recovery possible.

I was in a head on collision early last week and ended up in the hospital for a couple of days and almost lost my right eye. Thankfully, after a couple of procedures, I should have a full recovery and just need to heal up now. I feel extremely lucky...

I'm so glad you're here to tell us your story since it easily could have ended much worse. I know you have a long journey ahead of you, and I'm absolutely wishing you the best! These are reminders to love every day, and to let those closest to you know you love them as well!

Best wishes!
So it goes.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Holy smokes! Glad you’re going to keep the eye Airlsee!
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:52 pm
Holy smokes! Glad you’re going to keep the eye Airlsee!

Thank you so much!
So it goes.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I am terribly sorry to hear about your injury, OldHoosier62. My thoughts and prayers will certainly be with you as you heal. Please let me know if there’s anything I can do to help.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Visited family this weekend in Jasper and was thinking about you and your situation. Pray you hear good news today!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
vivi

Post by vivi »

best of luck in your recovery.
:unicorn
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Good grief! That's horrible!
Though I'm glad it wasn't worse. I'll be praying for your recovery!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"