Nearly-Forgotten TV Shows, Themes, and Ads

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Ankerson

Re: Nearly-Forgotten TV Shows, Themes, and Ads

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:34 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:02 am
James Y wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:55 am
Sadly, you'll never see the AL Bundy type of humor allowed on TV nowadays, or ever again in the future. I especially loved it when he ranted about 'a fat lady came into the shoe store today'.

Jim

Yes, unfortunately you are correct.

There aren't really any truly funny comedies anymore.

And MOST TV shows and Movies just plain totally suck these days due to all the BS. :eye-roll

Being offended is a CHOICE... And a personal problem.... ;)

But you can't tell people that reality.

True. I haven't watched any new Hollywood movies in about 3 years, and even then, catching a Hollywood movie was rare.

I used to be a fan of the Marvel comic books back in the 1970s, but I won't even watch the Marvel Universe movies anymore. Too many superhero movies now, both Marvel and DC Universes, and they don't have that magic that the old '60s and '70s comic books had.

Jim

Other than Wonder Woman, WW 1984 and Suicide Squad I haven't watched any of them either.

Although check out Top Gun Maverick, it is worth a watch, better than the 1st one. And no BS political garbage either.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:39 pm
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:55 am
Sadly, you'll never see the AL Bundy type of humor allowed on TV nowadays, or ever again in the future. I especially loved it when he ranted about 'a fat lady came into the shoe store today'.

Jim

And MOST TV shows and Movies just plain totally suck these days due to all the BS. :eye-roll

True. I haven't watched any new Hollywood movies in about 3 years, and even then, catching a Hollywood movie was rare.

I used to be a fan of the Marvel comic books back in the 1970s, but I won't even watch the Marvel Universe movies anymore. Too many superhero movies now, both Marvel and DC Universes, and they don't have that magic that the old '60s and '70s comic books had.

Jim

Other than Wonder Woman, WW 1984 and Suicide Squad I haven't watched any of them either.

Although check out Top Gun Maverick, it is worth a watch, better than the 1st one. And no BS political garbage either.

Jim, I actually did like Wonder Woman, though I never saw WW 1984. I've heard a lot of things good about Top Gun Maverick, so I may watch it at some point. I wasn't a fan of the first one, but sometimes sequels surpass their predecessors.

If you hadn't seen what I added in my last post, the 2018 horror film Hereditary was pretty amazing. More old school slow-burn horror, as opposed to the current crop of cheap 'jump scare' horror flicks that are prevalent nowadays.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:47 pm
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Jim

Jim, I actually did like Wonder Woman, though I never saw WW 1984. I've heard a lot of things good about Top Gun Maverick, so I may watch it at some point. I wasn't a fan of the first one, but sometimes sequels surpass their predecessors.

If you hadn't seen what I added in my last post, the 2018 horror film Hereditary was pretty amazing. More old school slow-burn horror, as opposed to the current crop of cheap 'jump scare' horror flicks that are prevalent nowadays.

Jim

Jim,

Gal Gadot smile lighting up the whole screen is hard to pass up. :smiling-heart-eyes

And Margot Robbie as Harly Quinn. :smiling-hearts

Oh yes, Top Gun Maverick is over the top better than the 1st one by leaps and bounds. :cheap-sunglasses

They don't know how to do horror films anymore really. They aren't even scary anymore IMO.

The scariest horror movie I ever saw was Salems Lot (1979), was on TV as a mini series over two nights.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:53 pm
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

Jim

Jim,

Gal Gadot smile lighting up the whole screen is hard to pass up. :smiling-heart-eyes

Oh yes, Top Gun Maverick is over the top better than the 1st one by leaps and bounds. :cheap-sunglasses

They don't know how to do horror films anymore really. They aren't even scary anymore IMO.

The scariest horror movie I ever saw was Salems Lot (1979), was on TV as a mini series over two nights.

Jim

I view Hereditary as more disturbing than being scared by it. Horror movies don't really scare me, and haven't since I was maybe in 4th grade. Some have been creepy, though. Salem's Lot was great; I saw its original airing in 1979.

When I saw The Exorcist in the late '70s (maybe 6 years after its original release), I wasn't scared by it, although I thought it was excellent.
OTOH, when my older brother saw it in 1973, he was so freaked out, he was afraid to go to sleep by himself, and had to discuss it with my sister. It's funny that as kids he liked teasing me by scaring, but very little can scare me (and nothing in movies makes me scared), while a lot of things can creep him out.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:06 pm
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Jim

Jim,

Jim

I view Hereditary as more disturbing than being scared by it. Horror movies don't really scare me, and haven't since I was maybe in 4th grade. Some have been creepy, though. Salem's Lot was great; I saw its original airing in 1979.

When I saw The Exorcist in the late '70s (maybe 6 years after its original release), I wasn't scared by it, although I thought it was excellent.
OTOH, when my older brother saw it in 1973, he was so freaked out, he was afraid to go to sleep by himself, and had to discuss it with my sister. It's funny that as kids he liked teasing me by scaring, but very little can scare me (and nothing in movies makes me scared), while a lot of things can creep him out.

Jim

Jim,

I think we all saw Salems Lot back in 1979 since they made a huge deal out of it back then. :beaming-face

I saw the remake of The Stand, it pretty much sucked, they really didn't need to remake it IMO.

That and the remake of IT, same deal for the most part.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:12 pm
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

Jim,

Jim

Jim

Jim,

I think we all saw Salems Lot back in 1979 since they made a huge deal out of it back then. :beaming-face

I saw the remake of The Stand, it pretty much sucked, they really didn't need to remake it IMO.

Jim

With few exceptions, such as Salem's Lot, Christine, Carrie (1976 version), Stand By Me, possibly The Mist, maybe one or two more, most of the Stephen King adaptations sucked. His stories (for the most part) seem to work better in written form.

The original Carrie movie was better than the book, though. But the Carrie remake SUCKED, even if some of it was truer to the novel. Sissy Spacek was WAY better and more convincing as Carrie than Chloe Moretz was.

And the first IT movie remake was OK, maybe better than the mini-series; but i didn't bother watching the sequel. The clown monster was overdone. There's a lot to be said for not overexposing the monster in a horror movie. Sometimes, less is more.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:30 pm
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Jim,

Jim

Jim

Jim,

Jim

With few exceptions, such as Salem's Lot, Christine, Carrie (1976 version), Stand By Me, possibly The Mist, maybe one or two more, most of the Stephen King adaptations sucked. His stories (for the most part) seem to work better in written form.

The original Carrie movie was better than the book, though. But the Carrie remake SUCKED, even if some of it was truer to the novel. Sissy Spacek was WAY better and more convincing as Carrie than Chloe Moretz was.

And the first IT movie remake was OK, maybe better than the mini-series; but i didn't bother watching the sequel. The clown monster was overdone. There's a lot to be said for not overexposing the monster in a horror movie. Sometimes, less is more.

Jim

Jim,

Kinda like Jaws, very understated, they could take a lesson or 10 on how to do a proper horror movie using Jaws as a prime example.

The original IT was kinda weird in spots so yeah.

The Mist was very well done for the most part acting wise.

Christine and Carrie are just classics. :cheap-sunglasses

Jim
hereiamu1

Post by hereiamu1 »

I love old films like this.

James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:38 pm
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

Jim,

Jim

Jim

Jim,

Kinda like Jaws, very understated, they could take a lesson or 10 on how to do a proper horror movie using Jaws as a prime example.

Jim

Yeah, Jaws was well-done, in that the Shark wasn't overexposed. If it were remade now, the shark would be 60 to 100 feet long, make a roaring sound, and be sinking navy ships.

My personal favorite monster movie is John Carpenter's The Thing. There is a sense of foreboding and menace from the very start that lasts throughout the movie, and it shows just enough of the monster, but mostly in brief bits. It's more about characters and atmosphere than about seeing monsters and gore; but there is enough of that to imply what CAN happen, and that more is imminent.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

hereiamu1 wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:25 pm

Thank you for sharing that!

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:55 am
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Jim,

Jim

Jim

Jim,

Jim

Yeah, Jaws was well-done, in that the Shark wasn't overexposed. If it were remade now, the shark would be 60 to 100 feet long, make a roaring sound, and be sinking navy ships.

My personal favorite monster movie is John Carpenter's The Thing. There is a sense of foreboding and menace from the very start that lasts throughout the movie, and it shows just enough of the monster, but mostly in brief bits. It's more about characters and atmosphere than about seeing monsters and gore; but there is enough of that to imply what CAN happen, and that more is imminent.

Jim

Jim,

The Thing is a great movie. :open-grin

You are talking about The MEG. ROFL :rofl

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:08 am
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

Jim,

Jim

Jim

Jim,

Jim

I've heard of The Meg, and remember seeing a trailer for it years ago. Looked straight-up AWFUL to me, so I never watched it. Well, I have seen the very end of it on TV; it was playing on a cable channel I had turned to, to watch a show that was about to start (probably AEW wrestling). From the looks of it, The Meg must have been a Hollywood/Mainland China co-production. Definitely not interested.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:19 am
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Jim,

Jim

Jim

Jim,

Jim

I've heard of The Meg, and remember seeing a trailer for it years ago. Looked straight-up AWFUL to me, so I never watched it. Well, I have seen the very end of it on TV; it was playing on a cable channel I had turned to, to watch a show that was about to start (probably AEW wrestling). From the looks of it, The Meg must have been a Hollywood/Mainland China co-production. Definitely not interested.

Jim

Jim,

It was pretty bad, not worth watching really.

They just have no idea on how to make good movies anymore for the most part these days.

So they remake everything and screw it up.

Or do as you said the Marvel movies etc. Which is just as bad as they are almost all CG. LOL :eye-roll

The really sad part is people go and see them so they keep making that garbage.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:26 am
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

Jim,

Jim

Jim

Jim,

They just have no idea on how to make good movies anymore for the most part these days.

Or do as you said the Marvel movies etc. Which is just as bad as they are almost all CG. LOL :eye-roll

Jim

What really cracks me up is when (clearly) younger people see a great movie from past decades and say, "That movie was really good for its time." Or, "That movie was way ahead of its time." When in fact, for the most part, movies have gotten WORSE. There are still good (even occasional great) movies being made, but not by Hollywood.

I actually don't envy Marvel fans who never read the comic books during the Silver Age of comics. I was a Marvel Comics fan decades before being a Marvel fan was "cool". Most of the fans of the Marvel movies have probably never even handled, much less read, a comic book in their lives. I enjoyed the EARLIER Marvel movies BECAUSE I had known the characters from the comic books. But the superhero thing has become way overdone in the movies, and I won't go into the other reasons I tuned out of them years ago. I think the last Marvel movie I watched and liked was Logan, the final Wolverine movie.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:39 am
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Jim,

Jim

Jim

Jim,

Jim

What really cracks me up is when (clearly) younger people see a great movie from past decades and say, "That movie was really good for its time." Or, "That movie was way ahead of its time." When in fact, for the most part, movies have gotten WORSE. There are still good (even occasional great) movies being made, but not by Hollywood.

I actually don't envy Marvel fans who never read the comic books during the Silver Age of comics. I was a Marvel Comics fan decades before being a Marvel fan was "cool". Most of the fans of the Marvel movies have probably never even handled, much less read, a comic book in their lives. I enjoyed the EARLIER Marvel movies BECAUSE I had known the characters from the comic books. But the superhero thing has become way overdone in the movies, and I won't go into the other reasons I tuned out of them years ago. I think the last Marvel movie I watched and liked was Logan, the final Wolverine movie.

Jim

Jim,

Yeah, younger people are clueless... :eye-roll

Yes there are some good, even great movies being made, Top Gun Maverick for one good example.

But for the most part by the time they get done with all the WOKE BS etc. these days the movies aren't even worth watching as the plot and real context is gone. What is left of a bunch of political agenda BS, same with most TV shows these days.

I can't stomach most TV shows and or movies these days.. :vomit

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:48 am
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

Jim,

Jim

Jim

Jim,

Yes there are some good, even great movies being made, Top Gun Maverick for one good example.

But for the most part by the time they get done with all the WOKE BS etc. these days the movies aren't even worth watching as the plot and real context is gone. What is left of a bunch of political agenda BS, same with most TV shows these days.

Jim

I'd like to clarify what I posted: The ones who say great movies were "Good for their time" are clearly very young. Because nobody who was around and actually saw good or great movies back when they came out would ever say that. The individuals who would say that lack awareness on the subject.

For only one example: I've read comments online where someone who watches Enter the Dragon for the first time says, "That was good for its time. Imagine how awesome it would be if they remade it today, with modern budgets!" Uhh, nope. Enter the Dragon reflected the time period it was made in, and was great because of one person: Bruce Lee. And he's been dead for nearly 50 years now. There IS NO OTHER Bruce Lee. There are flashier performers today, but NO ONE in martial arts films today has Bruce Lee's charisma and unique skills, nor his level of ability to set up fight scenes. For YEARS after ETD, the director, Robert Clouse, tried to recapture lightning in a bottle by directing more martial arts films. When in fact, it was Bruce Lee who had made ETD a success, and not Clouse's directing skill.

The only current dramatic TV series I still watch on occasion anymore is Chicago PD. Anything else I watch on TV are mostly nature shows, documentaries, a few (but not all!) shows about paranormal subjects, and pro wrestling (yeah, I admit it!). Pure escapism for me.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:31 am
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Jim,

Jim

Jim

Jim,

Jim

I'd like to clarify what I posted: The ones who say great movies were "Good for their time" are clearly very young. Because nobody who was around and actually saw good or great movies back when they came out would ever say that. The individuals who would say that lack awareness on the subject.

For only one example: I've read comments online where someone who watches Enter the Dragon for the first time says, "That was good for its time. Imagine how awesome it would be if they remade it today, with modern budgets!" Uhh, nope. Enter the Dragon reflected the time period it was made in, and was great because of one person: Bruce Lee. And he's been dead for nearly 50 years now. There IS NO OTHER Bruce Lee. There are flashier performers today, but NO ONE in martial arts films today has Bruce Lee's charisma and unique skills, nor his level of ability to set up fight scenes. For YEARS after ETD, the director, Robert Clouse, tried to recapture lightning in a bottle by directing more martial arts films. When in fact, it was Bruce Lee who had made ETD a success, and not Clouse's directing skill.

The only current dramatic TV series I still watch on occasion anymore is Chicago PD. Anything else I watch on TV are mostly nature shows, documentaries, a few (but not all!) shows about paranormal subjects, and pro wrestling (yeah, I admit it!). Pure escapism for me.

Jim

Jim,

Without Bruce Lee there would be no ETD. ;)

That could never be remade and be as good as the original.

That said there are a lot of movies with actors that passed on and or are very old, movies that could really never be remade.

They have tried to do some and they just plane suck.

These days they tend to miscast a lot do to various political agendas and trying to coddle every freaking body. :vomit

It's total insanity really for them to actually think they can make them so bad and with so many mistakes they did on purpose that the movie or TV show would be a success. :rofl

But that is what happens when they worry about every political agenda and put them ahead of the plot of what they are trying to do. It's a wreak on a wreak falling off a cliff.

The really sad part is there are people who sit all together in a room and make those choices on how they are going to totally screw it up. :rofl

I find that just totally hilarious. :rofl

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:16 pm
James Y wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:31 am
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

Jim,

Jim

Jim

Jim,

Without Bruce Lee there would be no ETD. ;)

That could never be remade and be as good as the original.

That said there are a lot of movies with actors that passed on and or are very old, movies that could really never be remade.

They have tried to do some and they just plane suck.

These days they tend to miscast a lot do to various political agendas and trying to coddle every freaking body. :vomit

It's total insanity really for them to actually think they can make them so bad and with so many mistakes they did on purpose that the movie or TV show would be a success. :rofl

But that is what happens when they worry about every political agenda and put them ahead of the plot of what they are trying to do. It's a wreak on a wreak falling off a cliff.

The really sad part is there are people who sit all together in a room and make those choices on how they are going to totally screw it up. :rofl

I find that just totally hilarious. :rofl

Jim

Yep, it's weird. Bizarre, really. The typical new movie script takes YEARS to become a movie, IF it ever becomes a movie at all. You would think "they" would be smarter with their money, and at least attempt to do things right. But I can only assume that in Hollywood, the people who are in charge are NOT lovers of cinema. Whenever a Hollywood movie is overhyped as "movie of the year," or "the best movie ever," I skip it. I'd most likely have skipped it anyway, but I'll make a point to skip it. Being boring does not make a movie great. Only I decide what I like, not some suits sitting around a table in some Hollywood boardroom.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Hot L Baltimore (1975, Opening Credits)

I'll bet no one else remembers this. TBH, I never paid attention to it the short time it lasted on TV. I do recall the opening credits, because of the E in "Hotel" going out on the sign.

https://youtu.be/aMuft7yMHD0

Jim
rgc

Post by rgc »

hereiamu1 wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:25 pm