Nearly-Forgotten TV Shows, Themes, and Ads

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
James Y

Re: Nearly-Forgotten TV Shows, Themes, and Ads

Post by James Y »

Eight is Enough (1977 - 1981)

Season 2 Intro:

https://youtu.be/aQK9rKL5WeY

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:36 am
Ankerson wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:04 pm
James Y wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:51 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:20 pm

Jim,

Yes, I actually want watchable content, you know a real story line, a plot and good acting is always nice.

And maybe some sort of reality to keep things somewhat realistic.

That's somehow been lost for the most part for the past 15 to 20 years anyway and getting worse all the time.

Not even going into the different agendas and I will absolutely turn the channel and never watch that show again. That has been a lot of shows for me too.

Jim

I'm very picky about what I watch now. I don't watch many different shows, and not many drama series.

As for realism, I expect plausibility and believability if a show or movie's premise is that it's a reflection of reality.

I can also enjoy some types of fantasy, like the better-made old-school Kung Fu movies and spaghetti westerns, which are not realistic. I can suspend my disbelief for something like that, as long as it's not so over-the-top that it messes up the movie's flow or sequencing.

As I mentioned earlier, one of the problems with Hollywood movies now is the overuse of the same people, to the point that the roles that actors are being cast in are not compatible with them. Like Dwayne Johnson reportedly replacing Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow. I won't be surprised if DJ eventually becomes the new James Bond. Or is cast as Tarzan. Or Moses. Or King Arthur. Or Merlin. Ir Billy Jack. Or Rocky, in a film series reboot. Or as Homer Simpson, in a live-action The Simpsons movie. Or...or...or...you get the picture. I'm not begrudgingly DJ his success, But enough is enough, 10 times over. Create some new watchable stars, AND BETTER CONTENT.

Jim
Jim,

I know what you mean about Dwayne Johnson.. :rofl

THEY really do need to find someone else to cast.

I think it is the lack of depth of thinking and obviously the big push to cast him in everything possible. More than likely by his agent etc.

As for the other stuff, what I ment was quality programing and something that would be believable as far as the shows go etc.

Most of the garbage today is so far removed of even the slightest remote possibility of believability as far as the shows go and or movies for that matter it is pathetic. :eye-roll

Even the science fiction and fantasy stuff has gotten so far out of hand these days. Not going to even start with the action movies etc.

And yes the casting..... I am not going there other than to say some of the massive mistakes have been so massive they completely killed any chance of the movie or show to even begin to do well. I won't go into the reasons why however.

Jim

Nowadays, I mostly watch some of the better paranormal shows, some wrestling (AEW), and some history or nature shows. There's a show that explores the history of abandoned places that I find fascinating.

Rarely, I'll catch Chicago PD. The acting is good, and the main character, Hank Voight, is great, IMO. But many of the supporting cast, good actors though they are, look like underwear models. I doubt there is a police unit anywhere on the planet where most of the members look like that. I mainly watch it to see if I can spot another Spyderco again; early on in the show, Hank Voight used an Endura 4 for various purposes. But that was mostly in the first season or so.

Jim

Jim,

Chicago PD is a good show, best of the 3 Chicago Series shows by far.

I know what you mean about the actors though, at least the main ones all look like models and most actually were models so I am not surprised by what you said. The acting is actually pretty good in the show and are the story lines for the most part so I can't complain.

On the movie front seems Gal Gabot and Ana Celia de Armas are getting quite a bit of roles also. But the thing with the women is a lot of the time they aren't the lead actor so it's more low key per say. (I say good for them) :smlling-eyes

Doesn't overwhelm like Dwayne Johnson being in everything and overexposed.

On Gal Gabot compared to Lynda Carter... We have to agree to disagree there. LOL

Neither one is exactly ugly in any way.

Gal Gabot just lights up the screen when she smiles IMO.

JIm

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:33 pm
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:51 pm

I'm very picky about what I watch now. I don't watch many different shows, and not many drama series.

As for realism, I expect plausibility and believability if a show or movie's premise is that it's a reflection of reality.

I can also enjoy some types of fantasy, like the better-made old-school Kung Fu movies and spaghetti westerns, which are not realistic. I can suspend my disbelief for something like that, as long as it's not so over-the-top that it messes up the movie's flow or sequencing.

As I mentioned earlier, one of the problems with Hollywood movies now is the overuse of the same people, to the point that the roles that actors are being cast in are not compatible with them. Like Dwayne Johnson reportedly replacing Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow. I won't be surprised if DJ eventually becomes the new James Bond. Or is cast as Tarzan. Or Moses. Or King Arthur. Or Merlin. Ir Billy Jack. Or Rocky, in a film series reboot. Or as Homer Simpson, in a live-action The Simpsons movie. Or...or...or...you get the picture. I'm not begrudgingly DJ his success, But enough is enough, 10 times over. Create some new watchable stars, AND BETTER CONTENT.

Jim
Jim,

I think it is the lack of depth of thinking and obviously the big push to cast him in everything possible. More than likely by his agent etc.

As for the other stuff, what I ment was quality programing and something that would be believable as far as the shows go etc.

Most of the garbage today is so far removed of even the slightest remote possibility of believability as far as the shows go and or movies for that matter it is pathetic. :eye-roll

Even the science fiction and fantasy stuff has gotten so far out of hand these days. Not going to even start with the action movies etc.

And yes the casting..... I am not going there other than to say some of the massive mistakes have been so massive they completely killed any chance of the movie or show to even begin to do well. I won't go into the reasons why however.

Jim

Nowadays, I mostly watch some of the better paranormal shows, some wrestling (AEW), and some history or nature shows. There's a show that explores the history of abandoned places that I find fascinating.

Rarely, I'll catch Chicago PD. The acting is good, and the main character, Hank Voight, is great, IMO. But many of the supporting cast, good actors though they are, look like underwear models. I doubt there is a police unit anywhere on the planet where most of the members look like that. I mainly watch it to see if I can spot another Spyderco again; early on in the show, Hank Voight used an Endura 4 for various purposes. But that was mostly in the first season or so.

Jim

Jim,

I know what you mean about the actors though, at least the main ones all look like models and most actually were models so I am not surprised by what you said. The acting is actually pretty good in the show and are the story lines for the most part so I can't complain.

On the movie front seems Gal Gabot and Ana Celia de Armas are getting quite a bit of roles also. But the thing with the women is a lot of the time they aren't the lead actor so it's more low key per say. (I say good for them) :smlling-eyes

On Gal Gabot compared to Lynda Carter... We have to agree to disagree there. LOL

JIm

Jim

Don't get me wrong, Jim; I like Gal Gadot a lot. IMO, she's one of the best (and hottest) new(er) actresses to come along in Hellywood (no, that's NOT a typo). And truth be told, she's 100X more athletic, tougher, and comes across as a lot kinder in real life, than Lynda Carter. But back in the day (the '70s), there was just something about Lynda Carter...

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:49 pm
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Jim,

Jim

Jim

Jim,

JIm

Jim

Don't get me wrong, Jim; I like Gal Gadot a lot. IMO, she's one of the best (and hottest) new(er) actresses to come along in Hellywood (no, that's NOT a typo). And truth be told, she's 100X more athletic, tougher, and comes across as a lot kinder in real life, than Lynda Carter. But back in the day (the '70s), there was just something about Lynda Carter...

Jim

Jim,

Gal Gadot is also EX Military too. :smlling-eyes

I know what you mean about back in the 70's though.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Here is a song that will take you back to the 80's. :)

https://youtu.be/CdqoNKCCt7A
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:21 pm
James Y wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:49 pm
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

Jim,

JIm

Jim

Jim

Jim,

Gal Gadot is also EX Military too. :smlling-eyes

I know what you mean about back in the 70's though.

Jim

IIRC, Gal Gadot also taught hand-to-hand combat in the Israeli military.

🙂

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:36 pm
Here is a song that will take you back to the 80's. :)

https://youtu.be/CdqoNKCCt7A

Oddly enough, this song reminds me of my first year in Taiwan. That's where I saw The Breakfast Club (which had this song in it) when it came out.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

The Courtship of Eddie's Father (1969 - 1972)

There are other, clearer intros on YT, but I liked this version with their little pre-intro talk.

The theme song was sung by Harry Nilsson.

Intro:

https://youtu.be/D_QMRDmA7-s

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Go Go Gophers

Some sources say this cartoon came out in 1964, some say 1966, and some say 1968. I think it was 1966.

I always thought it was funny that two coyotes were leading humans in trying to get rid of gophers. IIRC, this was the only series, cartoon or otherwise, where the Indians got the better of the US Army.

https://youtu.be/AXUFt3YpWS0

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

The World of Commander McBragg (1963)

This was among the funnier cartoons, IMO. The episodes were very short, less than two minutes long.

Intro:

https://youtu.be/wyJOrh4y7pI

Khyber Pass:

https://youtu.be/SGPimUZP-tw

Ace of Aces:

https://youtu.be/TU2XWzJKgbI

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Cal Worthington Car Dealership Commercials Compilation, "Go See Cal"

If you grew up in Southern California in the '70s and '80s, you HAD to have been familiar with his car dealership commercials. I don't know if he had dealerships in other states. I first started seeing his commercials in the early '70s, shown on L.A. stations. He did all kinds of stunts, including appearing with various animals, all of which he called "my dog Spot." He also did the gutsy plane stunt shown at the beginning of the vid.

As a kid, I misheard the words in his song "Go see Cal" and thought it was "pussy cow," thinking it referenced his use of different animals in his commercials.

https://youtu.be/QOsLdT4slsk

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

The Best of Paul Lynde on Hollywood Squares

https://youtu.be/ebBh2pjpIXc

Jim
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

James Y wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:52 am
Go Go Gophers

Some sources say this cartoon came out in 1964, some say 1966, and some say 1968. I think it was 1966.

I always thought it was funny that two coyotes were leading humans in trying to get rid of gophers. IIRC, this was the only series, cartoon or otherwise, where the Indians got the better of the US Army.

Jim
I frequently sing the theme song in my head. When I ask people if they remember the cartoon they never do.
Last edited by JRinFL on Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I have not seen every page so I apologize if I’m reposting this.

I have such vivid memories of seeing this commercial many times a day in the 90s. Most of my friends do as well, so it’s even something we still joke about these days. It was definitely one of those commercials that aired for years on end.

“Sears Air Conditioner Commercial”
https://youtu.be/4rqZZgVxnCk
-Nick :bug-red
James Y

Post by James Y »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:49 pm
James Y wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:52 am
Go Go Gophers

Jim
I frequently sing the theme song in my head. When I ask people if they remember the cartoon they never do.

I'm not surprised they don't remember. I think only some people within a very limited age bracket might remember it.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:53 pm
I have not seen every page so I apologize if I’m reposting this.

I have such vivid memories of seeing this commercial many times a day in the 90s. Most of my friends do as well, so it’s even something we still joke about these days. It was definitely one of those commercials that aired for years on end.

“Sears Air Conditioner Commercial”
https://youtu.be/4rqZZgVxnCk

Thanks. TBH, I hadn't seen that one, so I wonder if it was regional? It's certainly a very long commercial (or at least it FEELS long). I couldn't imagine having to sit through it several times a day.

😴 😉

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

'Frank Sinatra Hated Marlon Brando Enough to Kill Him'

Well, maybe not kill him, but enough to have him kidnapped and threatened.

OK, this isn't about a TV show or ad, but I thought this was interesting, and I didn't know where else to post it. And the movie adaptation of Guys and Dolls is probably forgotten or unknown to most people, anyway. It certainly was to me.

TBH, for some reason, I never liked Frank Sinatra.

https://youtu.be/FJlGOS0pZxQ

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Ankerson wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:57 pm
James Y wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:31 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:09 pm
I just can't believe that no one here gives any respect to the old 80s cop show MIAMI VICE. Truly I thought that show was way ahead of it's time. It was one of the first shows to implement really cool music as an important part of the show as well as men's and women's fashion being off the charts. Also not to mention that show being the launching pad of the careers of Don Johnson and Edward James Olmos.

And for a show to have the super ratings it had for being aired on Friday nights was nothing short of phenomenal. I always looked forward to watching Miami Vice on Friday nights.

Now I will admit that after the first 3 years I did kind of lost interest in that show. But those first 3 years the plots were awesome.

I guess I still long for the old days. Because most of the TV shows in this present time are pretty much garbage compared to what it used to be.

Joe,

Speaking for myself, I saw a little of Miami Vice, but almost its entire run aired when I was living out of the country. And even by the early '80s, I wasn't watching much TV...late teens/early 20s...you know how it is...

I also thought that Miami Vice is still widely remembered by a lot of people.

Jim

The best thing about Miami Vice was the Intro Song.

IMO the show wasn't all that great really with the plot all over the place and that just got worse as time went on.

I watched it for the 1st 2 or 3 seasons and then lost interest.
It was a good intro song on Miami Vice. But unlike most cop shows which are all mostly phony as a 4 dollar bill it truly had some entertainment value to it. But you're talking to a guy who used to find WWF wrestling also had some entertainment value as well. I rarely watch any TV anymore except my favorite football team ( the Chiefs). On rare occasions I do watch some educational type stuff but probably no more than 3 times in a year.

Heck Miami Vice had episodes with Frank Zappa, Willie Nelson, Phil Collins, Ted Nugent and several other rock music celebrities. It's the show that really defined Don Johnson. After the show was cancelled most of the actors either quit or took on really weird jobs. Like Sandra Santiago ( Gina) for instance spent the rest of her career doing Soap Operas. It was a perfect show for the 80s
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:42 am
Ankerson wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:57 pm
James Y wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:31 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:09 pm
I just can't believe that no one here gives any respect to the old 80s cop show MIAMI VICE. Truly I thought that show was way ahead of it's time. It was one of the first shows to implement really cool music as an important part of the show as well as men's and women's fashion being off the charts. Also not to mention that show being the launching pad of the careers of Don Johnson and Edward James Olmos.

And for a show to have the super ratings it had for being aired on Friday nights was nothing short of phenomenal. I always looked forward to watching Miami Vice on Friday nights.

Now I will admit that after the first 3 years I did kind of lost interest in that show. But those first 3 years the plots were awesome.

I guess I still long for the old days. Because most of the TV shows in this present time are pretty much garbage compared to what it used to be.

Joe,

Speaking for myself, I saw a little of Miami Vice, but almost its entire run aired when I was living out of the country. And even by the early '80s, I wasn't watching much TV...late teens/early 20s...you know how it is...

I also thought that Miami Vice is still widely remembered by a lot of people.

Jim

The best thing about Miami Vice was the Intro Song.

IMO the show wasn't all that great really with the plot all over the place and that just got worse as time went on.

I watched it for the 1st 2 or 3 seasons and then lost interest.
It was a good intro song on Miami Vice. But unlike most cop shows which are all mostly phony as a 4 dollar bill it truly had some entertainment value to it. But you're talking to a guy who used to find WWF wrestling also had some entertainment value as well. I rarely watch any TV anymore except my favorite football team ( the Chiefs). On rare occasions I do watch some educational type stuff but probably no more than 3 times in a year.

Heck Miami Vice had episodes with Frank Zappa, Willie Nelson, Phil Collins, Ted Nugent and several other rock music celebrities. It's the show that really defined Don Johnson. After the show was cancelled most of the actors either quit or took on really weird jobs. Like Sandra Santiago ( Gina) for instance spent the rest of her career doing Soap Operas. It was a perfect show for the 80s

Don Johnson did well after Miami Vice too. :)

Don't slam Soap Operas, it's steady work for the actors and there have been a lot of them that started in Soap Operas.

Never could bring myself to watch WWF, watching paint dry would be more fun. :rofl

Don't watch any sports anymore at all and haven't for decades now.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Yeah, regular soap opera work is gold for the actors/actresses who can land it. They are corny and I don't watch them, but it is steady work, and the long-time regulars on those soaps have far more career stability than most actors do. Having studied acting for a time myself, and having spoken with, and been taught by working actors, it is NOT a stable career choice for the majority, even if they land parts in TV shows and movies.

Many people assume that actors are all rich because they have landed parts in commercials, TV and film, but that is simply not true in most cases. It's an extremely competitive career choice, with more rejections than almost any other pursuit. Those who can actually make a full living at it are only the ones you see at the very top. And those aren't always the most talented actors, but are the ones who, for whatever reasons, were chosen. One of my acting coaches told us that the best and most talented actors he's ever known were people you'll never see or hear of, because they either weren't chosen for various reasons, or they didn't want to deal with all the BS that comes with the full-time pursuit of an acting career.

Did you know that for any unknown or aspiring actor who appears once for a couple seconds in a TV show and says one or two words (or even a sentence), that is a major career achievement? Such as during a foot chase scene in an episode of Law & Order SVU, the passerby who tells the cops, "He went that way." Even though that part was completely forgettable to the viewer, that goes on their resume.

Only actors can speak onscreen; extras are not actors, and cannot have dialogue, not even a single word, like "Hey!" So if someone in a scripted show or movie says anything at all, they must be a SAG actor (unless it's a small-time, non-union production), and they've auditioned for that part, no matter how small.

I went into that overly-long tangent to point out that acting is a very difficult profession for the vast majority of actors out there, and any steady, paid work is a dream for most. Yes, including (and maybe especially) as a regular on a soap opera. If Sandra Santiago finished out her career as a regular on soap operas, I'm sure she's done very well for herself.

Jim