Nearly-Forgotten TV Shows, Themes, and Ads

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Ankerson

Re: Nearly-Forgotten TV Shows, Themes, and Ads

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:01 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:16 pm
James Y wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:31 am
Ankerson wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:48 am

Jim,

Yeah, younger people are clueless... :eye-roll

Yes there are some good, even great movies being made, Top Gun Maverick for one good example.

But for the most part by the time they get done with all the WOKE BS etc. these days the movies aren't even worth watching as the plot and real context is gone. What is left of a bunch of political agenda BS, same with most TV shows these days.

I can't stomach most TV shows and or movies these days.. :vomit

Jim

I'd like to clarify what I posted: The ones who say great movies were "Good for their time" are clearly very young. Because nobody who was around and actually saw good or great movies back when they came out would ever say that. The individuals who would say that lack awareness on the subject.

For only one example: I've read comments online where someone who watches Enter the Dragon for the first time says, "That was good for its time. Imagine how awesome it would be if they remade it today, with modern budgets!" Uhh, nope. Enter the Dragon reflected the time period it was made in, and was great because of one person: Bruce Lee. And he's been dead for nearly 50 years now. There IS NO OTHER Bruce Lee. There are flashier performers today, but NO ONE in martial arts films today has Bruce Lee's charisma and unique skills, nor his level of ability to set up fight scenes. For YEARS after ETD, the director, Robert Clouse, tried to recapture lightning in a bottle by directing more martial arts films. When in fact, it was Bruce Lee who had made ETD a success, and not Clouse's directing skill.

The only current dramatic TV series I still watch on occasion anymore is Chicago PD. Anything else I watch on TV are mostly nature shows, documentaries, a few (but not all!) shows about paranormal subjects, and pro wrestling (yeah, I admit it!). Pure escapism for me.

Jim

Jim,

Without Bruce Lee there would be no ETD. ;)

That could never be remade and be as good as the original.

That said there are a lot of movies with actors that passed on and or are very old, movies that could really never be remade.

They have tried to do some and they just plane suck.

These days they tend to miscast a lot do to various political agendas and trying to coddle every freaking body. :vomit

It's total insanity really for them to actually think they can make them so bad and with so many mistakes they did on purpose that the movie or TV show would be a success. :rofl

But that is what happens when they worry about every political agenda and put them ahead of the plot of what they are trying to do. It's a wreak on a wreak falling off a cliff.

The really sad part is there are people who sit all together in a room and make those choices on how they are going to totally screw it up. :rofl

I find that just totally hilarious. :rofl

Jim

Yep, it's weird. Bizarre, really. The typical new movie script takes YEARS to become a movie, IF it ever becomes a movie at all. You would think "they" would be smarter with their money, and at least attempt to do things right. But I can only assume that in Hollywood, the people who are in charge are NOT lovers of cinema. Whenever a Hollywood movie is overhyped as "movie of the year," or "the best movie ever," I skip it. I'd most likely have skipped it anyway, but I'll make a point to skip it. Being boring does not make a movie great. Only I decide what I like, not some suits sitting around a table in some Hollywood boardroom.

Jim

Jim,

You would think so huh?

At what, $50 to $100 Million Plus these days for a movie budget?

And TV shows these days with those big budgets too?

Yet still the no brain reality TV garbage is still king. :vomit

I can't believe some of those shows have been on for 2 or 3 decades. :eye-roll

Not even going to get into Pro Wrestling.... That is just mind blowing that crap is still on, been going on since the 70's... :rofl

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:45 pm
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:31 am

I'd like to clarify what I posted: The ones who say great movies were "Good for their time" are clearly very young. Because nobody who was around and actually saw good or great movies back when they came out would ever say that. The individuals who would say that lack awareness on the subject.

For only one example: I've read comments online where someone who watches Enter the Dragon for the first time says, "That was good for its time. Imagine how awesome it would be if they remade it today, with modern budgets!" Uhh, nope. Enter the Dragon reflected the time period it was made in, and was great because of one person: Bruce Lee. And he's been dead for nearly 50 years now. There IS NO OTHER Bruce Lee. There are flashier performers today, but NO ONE in martial arts films today has Bruce Lee's charisma and unique skills, nor his level of ability to set up fight scenes. For YEARS after ETD, the director, Robert Clouse, tried to recapture lightning in a bottle by directing more martial arts films. When in fact, it was Bruce Lee who had made ETD a success, and not Clouse's directing skill.

The only current dramatic TV series I still watch on occasion anymore is Chicago PD. Anything else I watch on TV are mostly nature shows, documentaries, a few (but not all!) shows about paranormal subjects, and pro wrestling (yeah, I admit it!). Pure escapism for me.

Jim

Jim,

That said there are a lot of movies with actors that passed on and or are very old, movies that could really never be remade.

These days they tend to miscast a lot do to various political agendas and trying to coddle every freaking body. :vomit

It's total insanity really for them to actually think they can make them so bad and with so many mistakes they did on purpose that the movie or TV show would be a success. :rofl

But that is what happens when they worry about every political agenda and put them ahead of the plot of what they are trying to do. It's a wreak on a wreak falling off a cliff.

The really sad part is there are people who sit all together in a room and make those choices on how they are going to totally screw it up. :rofl

Jim

Yep, it's weird. Bizarre, really. The typical new movie script takes YEARS to become a movie, IF it ever becomes a movie at all. You would think "they" would be smarter with their money, and at least attempt to do things right. But I can only assume that in Hollywood, the people who are in charge are NOT lovers of cinema. Whenever a Hollywood movie is overhyped as "movie of the year," or "the best movie ever," I skip it. I'd most likely have skipped it anyway, but I'll make a point to skip it. Being boring does not make a movie great. Only I decide what I like, not some suits sitting around a table in some Hollywood boardroom.

Jim

Jim,

You would think so huh?

Not even going to get into Pro Wrestling.... That is just mind blowing that crap is still on, been going on since the 70's... :rofl

Jim

Hey now! I watch pro rasslin'! 🤨 It's just escapism for me. Much (most) of it is bad (especially in WWE), but there are some gems to be found in the rubbish pile. And a few (very few) of the women are hotties. 😁

I am surprised that shows like Survivor, Bachelor, Bachelorette, etc., are still a thing. Or are they? Shows how much I care.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:19 pm
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Jim,

Jim

Jim

Jim,

You would think so huh?

Jim

Hey now! I watch pro rasslin'! 🤨 It's just escapism for me. Much (most) of it is bad (especially in WWE), but there are some gems to be found in the rubbish pile. And a few (very few) of the women are hotties. 😁

I am surprised that shows like Survivor, Bachelor, Bachelorette, etc., are still a thing. Or are they? Shows how much I care.

Jim

Jim,

I don't really care either, I just see the commercials that say they are going to start a new season etc. :eye-roll

All I can think is GAWD, they are still on.... JEEZE..... :flushed

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:22 pm
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

Jim,

You would think so huh?

Jim

Jim

Jim,

I don't really care either, I just see the commercials that say they are going to start a new season etc. :eye-roll

Jim

I remember way back in the early 2000s, seeing an ad for Survivor and thinking, "That thing's still on?"

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:39 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:22 pm
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Jim,

You would think so huh?

Jim

Jim

Jim,

Jim

I remember way back in the early 2000s, seeing an ad for Survivor and thinking, "That thing's still on?"

Jim

Jim,

I watched the 1st season because it was something different and new.

After that, nah..

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

The X-Files, (1995 Episode, Die Hand Die Verletzt)

(2 Video clips below)

The X-Files remains one of my all-time favorite series, although IMO, it shouldn't have ran for as long as it did. There were many episodes that were a waste, especially the ones where Mulder and/or Skully had to be replaced, because the characters were lost, or whatever.

I also didn't care for the ongoing conspiracy theme of the series involving the government and UFOs. My favorite episodes were mostly one-off, "monster of the week" episodes, such as the one in this video; the one about the werewolf in Montana; the one about the inbred Peacock Brothers; Eugene Tooms, who eats human livers (featured in two episodes); the cosmetic surgeon who was a warlock; and the EMT who continually renews his own body. And certainly a few more.

The actress who played the high school teacher in this episode was one of the best X-Files villains. She was a very creepy witch. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the creepiest scene of this episode on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/Q5n1B-0jCdY

Original TV Promo:

https://youtu.be/9LtB5z_n-2c

Jim
hereiamu1

Post by hereiamu1 »

rgc wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:07 pm
Yes lol
James Y

Post by James Y »

ABC 's Wide World of Sports Intro (1974)

https://youtu.be/Vv368yWOSas

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

The Saturday Superstar Movie (1972 intro)

https://youtu.be/ywBCwcmBjXQ

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Jonny Quest: Action, Action, Action!

I already posted the intro and outro of this show in this thread sometime back. It remains my favorite TV cartoon after more than 55 years. Sure, it wasn't PC by today's standards, and it had a lot of violence in it (probably a shocking amount of it to people who were too young to have seen it on TV), but it remains the best adventure cartoon, IMO.

https://youtu.be/k2xEhjMSJrI

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:40 am

I already posted the intro and outro of this show in this thread sometime back. It remains my favorite TV cartoon after more than 55 years. Sure, it wasn't PC by today's standards, and it had a lot of violence in it (probably a shocking amount of it to people who were too young to have seen it on TV), but it remains the best adventure cartoon, IMO.

Jim

Jim,

I agree. :smlling-eyes

Wouldn't get wrapped up in PC by todays standards, or PC at all really as IMO it's complete BS. :eye-roll

PC is just fine on TV etc as long as it conforms to the current WOKE extremist agenda. Some of it is just sickening to say the least and no way I would ever want my kids to see it. Or any children to be subjected to it for that matter. >:[ :nauseated

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:49 am
James Y wrote:

Jim

Jim,

Wouldn't get wrapped up in PC by todays standards, or PC at all really as IMO it's complete BS. :eye-roll

PC is just fine on TV etc as long as it conforms to the current WOKE extremist agenda. Some of it is just sickening to say the least and no way I would ever want my kids to see it. >:[ :nauseated

Jim

No lies detected, Jim.

There's a big difference between becoming more culturally enlightened and "woke" culture. A BIIIG difference. The latter only tries to disguise itself as the former.

Anyway, I imagine the type of violence depicted in '60s adventure cartoons like Jonny Quest, Fantastic Four, The Herculoids, Mighty Mightor, etc., resulted in the backlash of '70s Saturday morning cartoons containing no violence at all. I noticed that change even as a little kid, and had been sorely disappointed by it.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:59 am
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

Jim,

PC is just fine on TV etc as long as it conforms to the current WOKE extremist agenda. Some of it is just sickening to say the least and no way I would ever want my kids to see it. >:[ :nauseated

Jim

No lies detected, Jim.

There's a big difference between becoming more culturally enlightened and "woke" culture. A BIIIG difference. The latter only tries to disguise itself as the former.

Anyway, I imagine the type of violence depicted in '60s adventure cartoons like Jonny Quest, Fantastic Four, The Herculoids, Mighty Mightor, etc., resulted in the backlash of '70s Saturday morning cartoons containing no violence at all. I noticed that change even as a little kid, and had been sorely disappointed by it.

Jim

Jim,

What about Looney Toons? :rofl

Talk about violence, makes Jonny Quest look like a Hallmark XMAS Movie or something. LOL :rofl

Most as in almost all of them were very violent, and so were some of the prime time TV shows too.

However most TV shows now are much more violent today than back then.

One standout COP Show, CHIPS showed they could do a cop show with zero gun play, and there was zero in that show.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:08 am
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

Jim,

Jim

No lies detected, Jim.

Jim

Jim,

Talk about violence, makes Jonny Quest look like a Hallmark XMAS Movie or something. LOL :rofl

Most as in almost all of them were very violent, and so were some of the prime time TV shows too.

One standout COP Show, CHIPS showed they could do a cop show with zero gun play, and there was zero in that show.

Jim

And I was thinking about Looney Tunes even as I was typing that. I remember one titled " An Itch in Time," where Elmer Fudd's dog is tortured by a flea, and at the end, Fudd's cat commits suicide. Below is the only clip I could find of the ending of it (it's dubbed I German) on YouTube, because I think it's banned. But it used to play regularly with the other Merrie Melodies/Looney Tunes cartoons.

Yeah, those old Warner Brothers cartoons were way more violent. And at least with cartoons like Jonny Quest, the violence contained a degree of realism, a FINALITY to it, that the Looney Tunes cartoons did NOT have. But TBH, those Looney Tunes originally played in movie theaters before main features. And according to Mel Blanc (the voice of Bugs Bunny, Yosemite Sam, Daffy Duck, etc.) himself, those cartoons were not originally made with kids in mind, but for the makers themselves.

https://youtu.be/io6QesjeBa8

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:25 am
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Jim,

Jim

No lies detected, Jim.

Jim

Jim,

Jim

And I was thinking about Looney Tunes even as I was typing that. I remember one titled " An Itch in Time," where Elmer Fudd's dog is tortured by a flea, and at the end, Fudd's cat commits suicide. Below is the only clip I could find of the ending of it (it's dubbed I German) on YouTube, because I think it's banned. But it used to play regularly with the other Merrie Melodies/Looney Tunes cartoons.

Yeah, those old Warner Brothers cartoons were way more violent. And at least with cartoons like Jonny Quest, the violence contained a degree of realism, a FINALITY to it, that the Looney Tunes cartoons did NOT have. But TBH, those Looney Tunes originally played in movie theaters before main features. And according to Mel Blanc (the voice of Bugs Bunny, Yosemite Sam, Daffy Duck, etc.) himself, those cartoons were not originally made with kids in mind, but for the makers themselves.

Jim

Jim,

Kinda of like The Flintstones and Jonny Quest were not made for kids either. Both were prime time TV shows long before they made it to Saturday morning.

I remember some of the older shows, I will use Westerns as a broad example.

They went from what we call goody two shoes to extreme violence then back to someplace in-between due to all the political BS they started to inject into all the shows. No real current westerns on TV however, but I can guess how bad they would be PC wise.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:33 am
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:

No lies detected, Jim.

Jim

Jim,

Jim

Jim

Jim,

Kinda of like The Flintstones and Jonny Quest were not made for kids either. Both were prime time TV shows long before they made it to Saturday morning.

They went from what we call goody two shoes to extreme violence then back to someplace in-between due to all the political BS they started to inject into all the shows. No real current westerns on TV however, but I can guess how bad they would be PC wise.

Jim

I always disliked the goody two-shoes types of TV and movie westerns from the '50s and into the '60s. Looking back, most of them look like drug store soda fountain cowboys (to me). But that's just my own opinion. My dad loved westerns. I really didn't start liking westerns until I started seeing the better-made Italian spaghetti westerns of Sergio Leone (there were also tons of bad spaghetti westerns, too).

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:25 am
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Jim,

Jim

Jim

Jim,

Jim

I always disliked the goody two-shoes types of TV and movie westerns from the '50s and into the '60s. Looking back, most of them look like drug store soda fountain cowboys (to me). But that's just my own opinion. My dad loved westerns. I really didn't start liking westerns until I started seeing the better-made Italian spaghetti westerns of Sergio Leone (there were also tons of bad spaghetti westerns, too).

Jim

Jim,

I know exactly what you mean. LOL :rofl

There were some good ones though in the bunch that were not goody two shoes types.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:05 pm
James Y wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:25 am
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

Jim,

Jim

Jim

Jim,

I know exactly what you mean. LOL :rofl

There were some good ones though in the bunch that were not goody two shoes types.

Jim

I did like The Magnificent Seven (the original one), which was a western based on Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai. That was one of the non-goody two-shoes American westerns of that era.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Top 5 Jonny Quest Episodes

There's actually only 4 mentioned in this video. IMO, they should have included Shadow of the Condor, that features the epic aerial dogfight between Race Bannon and the German ex-WW1 fighter pilot.

I agree with the No. 1 spot. The Invisible Monster was my favorite episode.

https://youtu.be/G5JSKeUaC28

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:21 pm
Top 5 Jonny Quest Episodes

There's actually only 4 mentioned in this video. IMO, they should have included Shadow of the Condor, that features the epic aerial dogfight between Race Bannon and the German ex-WW1 fighter pilot.

I agree with the No. 1 spot. The Invisible Monster was my favorite episode.

https://youtu.be/G5JSKeUaC28

Jim

Jim,

Always liked the Shadow of the Condor one personally. :cheap-sunglasses

Jim