Nearly-Forgotten TV Shows, Themes, and Ads

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
James Y

Re: Nearly-Forgotten TV Shows, Themes, and Ads

Post by James Y »

The Perils of Penelope Pitstop (1969)

Intro & outro:

https://youtu.be/orrhY39tp3g

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

The Smokey Bear Show (1969)

I'm a little ashamed to admit I watched this, but I was only 6 years old.

Seeing the end credits now, I hadn't known that the Animation was done by Toei Studios (a Japanese film company), or rather, their animation department.

https://youtu.be/CCzLbVLTxKE

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Top Cat (1961)

Intro & Closing credits:

https://youtu.be/NToYkBYezZA

Jim
hereiamu1

Post by hereiamu1 »

James Y

Post by James Y »

Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman (1976 - 1977)

Full theme

https://youtu.be/zFUCPcxCBow

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:08 pm

Full theme

Jim

Jim,

I remember that, it was a miracle it lasted as long as it did, one season. :rofl

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:01 am
James Y wrote:

Full theme

Jim

Jim,

I remember that, it was a miracle it lasted as long as it did, one season. :rofl

Jim

Jim,

It was canceled because the grueling daily shooting schedule ended up being too much for Louise Lasser (the star of it). They still made a ton of episodes in that one year.

🙂

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:26 am
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:

Full theme

Jim

Jim,

Jim

Jim,

It was canceled because the grueling daily shooting schedule ended up being too much for Louise Lasser (the star of it). They still made a ton of episodes in that one year.

🙂

Jim

Jim,

That was back when they actually had to really work.

They made full seasons, like 35 or more episodes a season.

Back when the season would start in September and end in May, straight through.

Not this 10 episode with a break in-between garbage they do now.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:36 am
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:

Full theme

Jim

Jim,

Jim

Jim,

🙂

Jim

Jim,

Jim

I agree. Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman was a soap, so it was even more grueling than your typical series. They made 325 episodes! Something I wasn't even aware of before.

Many years ago, my acting coaches said that being a regular cast member in a successful TV series was called " The Golden ****" by actors, because of the grueling schedules. They make a ton of money during the show's run, but the schedules worked are very exhausting. Also, because it's TV, there isn't time for many retakes, like there is when filming movies. They really don't have time for actors screwing up their lines, etc. The scenes have to be shot quickly. So you better really be on your game to be a regular in a dramatic TV series.

I don't know how it is now, though, because I don't watch many current dramatic series. Though I'd reckon the schedules are still grueling.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:52 am
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Jim,

Jim

Jim,

🙂

Jim

Jim,

Jim

I agree. Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman was a soap, so it was even more grueling than your typical series. They made 325 episodes! Something I wasn't even aware of before.

Many years ago, my acting coaches said that being a regular cast member in a successful TV series was called " The Golden ****" by actors, because of the grueling schedules. They make a ton of money during the show's run, but the schedules worked are very exhausting. Also, because it's TV, there isn't time for many retakes, like there is when filming movies. They really don't have time for actors' screwing up their lines, etc. So you better really be on your game to be a regular in a dramatic TV series.

I don't know how it is now, though, because I don't watch many current dramatic series. Though I'd reckon the schedules are still grueling.

Jim

Jim,

The seasons are a lot shorter these days so a lot less content.

MORE COMMERICALS though, a lot more.

And then there is the quality of the shows too that has gone way down hill.

Basically mostly complete garbage on TV these days.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:56 am
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim,

🙂

Jim

Jim,

Jim

Many years ago, my acting coaches said that being a regular cast member in a successful TV series was called " The Golden ****" by actors, because of the grueling schedules. They make a ton of money during the show's run, but the schedules worked are very exhausting. Also, because it's TV, there isn't time for many retakes, like there is when filming movies. They really don't have time for actors' screwing up their lines, etc. So you better really be on your game to be a regular in a dramatic TV series.

Jim

Jim,

Jim

True.

It's actually tragic that some of the commercials are more entertaining than the actual shows themselves. For example, the Progressive Insurance commercials, and some of the current Wendy's commercials.

Ten years ago, I was told that the actress who plays Flo in the Progressive commercials was the highest-paid commercial actor or actress ever, and she's STILL making them. She's more well-off than a lot of movie actors/actresses, because her work is steady and seen all the time. Even back then, she had already made more than enough to live on for the rest of her life, if she wanted to and was smart with her money.

If I had a choice, I would rather be a regular cast member in a successful, long-running series of commercials than in a TV series.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:08 pm
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Jim,

Jim

Jim

Jim,

Jim

True.

It's actually tragic that some of the commercials are more entertaining than the actual shows themselves. For example, the Progressive Insurance commercials, and some of the current Wendy's commercials.

Ten years ago, I was told that the actress who plays Flo in the Progressive commercials was the highest-paid commercial actor or actress ever, and she's STILL making them. She's more well-off than a lot of movie actors/actresses, because her work is steady and seen all the time. Even back then, she had already made more than enough to live on for the rest of her life, if she wanted to and was smart with her money.

If I had a choice, I would rather be a regular cast member in a successful, long-running series of commercials than in a TV series.

Jim

Jim,

Yes, she still is.

That and AT&T's Lilly.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:11 pm
James Y wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:08 pm
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

Jim,

Jim

True.

Jim

Jim,

Yes, she still is.

That and AT&T's Lilly.

Jim

And the other lead Progressive Insurance commercial actor who plays Dr. Rick. That guy is great! I thought that actor was older than me, but he's actually younger than I am. And his mustache isn't real; he only uses it to get into his character. But he's perfect for the role.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Lynda Carter - Wonder Woman (1975 - 79)

IMO (YMMV), Lynda Carter was the hottest Wonder Woman. Obviously not as tall, nor as combat-athletic as Gal Gadot, but there was something about some of the hottest women back in the '70s that can't be replicated today. I don't know; maybe it was because of the age I was at at the time, but that's not the only reason. I just wish the person who compiled this video had chosen another scene to end the video with than showing Lynda Carter in that ridiculous-looking blue costume.

There's so much fake and enhanced nowadays that sometimes it's hard to discern what's "real" in terms of beauty. There's also a uniform "sameness" now, more than there was in the '70s and '80s. Nowadays, the so-called "beautiful people" are often indistinguishable from each other. If you've seen one, you've seen them all, and it's gotten boring (although I do not count Gal Gadot in that category).

https://youtu.be/Q5qdpaeC-sA

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

One of the great '70s TV themes:

https://youtu.be/hj8V5sRVXGk

Jim
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Milton Berle Show. It began with this song.

The Danny Thomas Show/Make Room For Daddy.
This show launched the Andy Griffith show as a spin off.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
James Y

Post by James Y »

1970 Post Alpha Bits Commercial, Featuring the Jackson 5

We used to eat Alpha Bits, Honey Comb, Apple Jacks, Quisp, etc., among other sugary breakfast cereals. And I recall we got one or two of the free Jackson 5 records on the back of Alpha Bits boxes. You just cut it off of the box and played it on the record player. I don't recall if the record was made of floppy plastic you pulled off the box, or if the cardboard backing was required to give it enough stability to play it. Obviously, those cereal box records weren't made to last.

I wasn't a big Jackson 5 or Michael Jackson fan, but I was always up for free stuff.

The first time I ever heard the Jackson 5 on the radio was right when I was going into 1st grade (1969). The song was 'I Want You Back.' I'd never heard a little kid as the lead singer on a hit song played on the radio before (it was unheard of back then). Until I saw a picture of The Jackson 5 and Michael Jackson on the cereal box, I'd thought Michael Jackson's voice was a little girl singing, LOL.

https://youtu.be/615ofCeyg9M

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Lancelot Link, Secret Chimp (1970 - 1971)

Intro & Outro:

https://youtu.be/BZaQA6K_OGM

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

https://youtu.be/z3Qf3pzb_fk
James Y

Post by James Y »

The Patty Duke Show (1963 - 1966)

I only vaguely remembered this. My main impression of it was my brother referring to it as "The Patty Puke Show," and that stuck in my young, impressionable mind.

BTW, whoever heard of identical cousins??

Intro:

https://youtu.be/Mr8nJfD7sKE

Jim