Nearly-Forgotten TV Shows, Themes, and Ads

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
James Y

Re: Nearly-Forgotten TV Shows, Themes, and Ads

Post by James Y »

Spider-Man (1967) Next Week Bumper

https://youtu.be/BVCgGDFFWMo

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Valley of the Dinosaurs (1974)

This Hanna-Barbera cartoon debuted in the same season as the live-action Sid & Marty Krofft series Land of the Lost (mentioned earlier in this thread); and back then, it was obvious that one had inspired the other. Of course, Valley of the Dinosaurs never achieved the level of popularity that Land of the Lost did. I remember watching them both.

(Intro):

https://youtu.be/LdYPlcNYMJA

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:26 pm

This Hanna-Barbera cartoon debuted in the same season as the live-action Sid & Marty Krofft series Land of the Lost (mentioned earlier in this thread); and back then, it was obvious that one had inspired the other. Of course, Valley of the Dinosaurs never achieved the level of popularity that Land of the Lost did. I remember watching them both.

(Intro):

Jim

WOW, yes. :cheap-sunglasses

I remember this one, used to watch it. :grin-smiling-eyes
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:04 pm
James Y wrote:

(Intro):

Jim

Jim,

I remember actually liking Valley of the Dinosaurs more than Land of the Lost, even though I believed then (and still believe) that VOTD was an attempt to rip off the basic concept of LOTL. However, LOTL had FAR more sophisticated concepts and storylines than VOTD did.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:08 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:04 pm
James Y wrote:

(Intro):

Jim

Jim,

I remember actually liking Valley of the Dinosaurs more than Land of the Lost, even though I believed then (and still believe) that VOTD was an attempt to rip off the basic concept of LOTL. However, LOTL had FAR more sophisticated concepts and storylines than VOTD did.

Jim

Jim,

Same here from what I can remember.

Jim
rgc

Post by rgc »

Well as a kid growing up in the 70's I had the pleasure to watch Sid & Marty Krofft's trippy morning show H.R. Pufnstuf:

Then on Saturday Mornings there was always Hong Kong Phooey:
James Y

Post by James Y »

rgc wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:42 pm
Well as a kid growing up in the 70's I had the pleasure to watch Sid & Marty Krofft's trippy morning show H.R. Pufnstuf:

Then on Saturday Mornings there was always Hong Kong Phooey:

Thank you for sharing, rgc.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

"Operation" Game Commercial, 1960s

https://youtu.be/uw-ZLTRuYuk

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

"It's Not Nice to Fool Mother Nature!" 1977 Chiffon Margarine Commercial

These "Mother Nature" Chiffon commercials were made throughout the decade of the '70s.

https://youtu.be/ijVijP-CDVI

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Scared Straight! - Prison (1978)

I remember watching this when it originally aired. Mainly because they were allowing raw language that had never been allowed on TV. It was an eye-opener, that's for sure, even though I wasn't a bad kid.

Younger people today have to understand that in 1978, airing this was groundbreaking. Nowadays, there are TV shows that allow certain curse words like B, s**t, G-D, etc. But back in the '70s, curse words were not allowed on TV at all.

Wikipedia says it originally aired in November 1978, when I was in 10th grade. I could have sworn it aired when I was still in 9th grade, but guess I was wrong.

Im not embedding it, and am only providing the link here, due to the amount of raw language.

https://youtu.be/5U555p1L80o

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:13 am

I remember watching this when it originally aired. Mainly because they were allowing raw language that had never been allowed on TV. It was an eye-opener, that's for sure, even though I wasn't a bad kid.

Younger people today have to understand that in 1978, airing this was groundbreaking. Nowadays, there are TV shows that allow certain curse words like B, s**t, G-D, etc. But back in the '70s, curse words were not allowed on TV at all.

Wikipedia says it originally aired in November 1978, when I was in 10th grade. I could have sworn it aired when I was still in 9th grade, but guess I was wrong.

Im not embedding it, and am only providing the link here, due to the amount of raw language.

Jim

I remember that. :grimace

Yeah, very few TV shows allowed words, All in the Family was one that let one go ever now and then.

But that was aired live so.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:17 am
James Y wrote:

Jim

Yeah, very few TV shows allowed words, All in the Family was one that let one go ever now and then.

Yes, it's interesting that while curse words were forbidden on TV, shows like All in the Family, Maude, Good Times (all Norman Lear-produced shows) allowed racial slurs in varying degrees.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:23 am
Ankerson wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:17 am
James Y wrote:

Jim

Yes, it's interesting that while curse words were forbidden on TV, shows like All in the Family, Maude, Good Times (all Norman Lear-produced shows) allowed racial slurs in varying degrees.

Jim

Yeah, it is. :thinking

But then look at the booze commercials, hard liquor that is these days. It was banned from TV for as long as I can remember.

And they are worried about smoking? :eye-roll
James Y

Post by James Y »

Value systems are weird.

I remember reading an interview with Carroll O'Connor, who played Archie Bunker. He described his character as an idiot, and that the show was basically showing how ignorant he was supposed to be. But my problem with it was that many viewers took Archie Bunker's views to heart, thinking the show was promoting that mindset and confirming their own views. Which is why you can't always expect audiences to "get it" when things are presented in that context.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:34 am
Value systems are weird.

I remember reading an interview with Carroll O'Connor, who played Archie Bunker. He described his character as an idiot, and that the show was basically showing how ignorant he was supposed to be. But my problem with it was that many viewers took Archie Bunker's views to heart, thinking the show was promoting that mindset and confirming their own views. Which is why you can't always expect audiences to "get it" when things are presented in that context.

Jim

Yeah it was a comedy.. :rofl

Carroll O'Conner was as far Left as you could possibly go in real life. Yes, it was a comedy. :rofl

Have to remember the time the show aired, year wise. People did not need any help from the show to think that way. ;)

Like Married with Children was also a comedy.
Last edited by Ankerson on Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:41 am
James Y wrote:
Value systems are weird.

Jim

Like Married with Children was.

Married With Children was hilarious. IMO, way funnier than All in the Family was. It wasn't trying to make a social statement.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:48 am
Ankerson wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:41 am
James Y wrote:
Value systems are weird.

Jim

Like Married with Children was.

Married With Children was hilarious. IMO, way funnier than All in the Family was.

Jim

Oh yes. :rofl
James Y

Post by James Y »

Sadly, you'll never see the AL Bundy type of humor allowed on TV nowadays, or ever again in the future. I especially loved it when he ranted about 'a fat lady came into the shoe store today'.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:55 am
Sadly, you'll never see the AL Bundy type of humor allowed on TV nowadays, or ever again in the future. I especially loved it when he ranted about 'a fat lady came into the shoe store today'.

Jim

Yes, unfortunately you are correct.

There aren't really any truly funny comedies anymore.

And MOST TV shows and Movies just plain totally suck these days due to all the BS. :eye-roll

Being offended is a CHOICE... And a personal problem.... ;)

But you can't tell people that reality.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:02 am
James Y wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:55 am

Jim

Yes, unfortunately you are correct.

There aren't really any truly funny comedies anymore.

And MOST TV shows and Movies just plain totally suck these days due to all the BS. :eye-roll

Being offended is a CHOICE... And a personal problem.... ;)

But you can't tell people that reality.

True. I haven't watched any new Hollywood movies in about 3 years, and even then, catching a Hollywood movie was rare.

The last Hollywood movie that I'd consider quite good was the 2018 horror film Hereditary. And it had an old school '70s vibe, in terms of its storytelling.

I used to be a fan of the Marvel comic books back in the 1970s, but I won't even watch the Marvel Universe movies anymore. Too many superhero movies now, both Marvel and DC Universes, and they don't have that magic that the old '60s and '70s comic books had.

Jim