Nearly-Forgotten TV Shows, Themes, and Ads

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
James Y

Re: Nearly-Forgotten TV Shows, Themes, and Ads

Post by James Y »

"I Am Man" Burger King Commercial (2006)

https://youtu.be/WZWCdW_WaqU

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Burger King Ad (1974)

Outta sight, man! 🤪

Those old '70s-era Burger King worker uniform hats always reminded me of Jiffy Pop Popcorn when it cooks up under the foil.

https://youtu.be/u4YAcsAe6UI

Jim
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
James Y

Post by James Y »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:20 pm

Thanks. I always remembered Snagglepuss saying, "Exit...stage right!"

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Shazzan (1967 cartoon)

Of course, NOT to be confused with "Shazam!"

Intro:

https://youtu.be/0AkHgrGgrMk

Jim
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

James Y wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:47 am
Shazzan (1967 cartoon)

Intro:

Jim
I had forgotten Shazzan, but I always watched it.

Yes, Snagglepuss would say, "Exit, stage right! (or left) There were some great cartoons back then. They actually had imaginations and were usually age appropriate.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:37 am
James Y wrote:
Shazzan (1967 cartoon)

Intro:

Jim

Yes, Snagglepuss would say, "Exit, stage right! (or left) There were some great cartoons back then. They actually had imaginations and were usually age appropriate.

Normally yes.

Remember the Flintstones was originally on PRIME TIME TV in the evening, so it was more of an adult show.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Doc Dan wrote:
James Y wrote:
Shazzan (1967 cartoon)

Intro:

Jim

It's actually amazing the variety of cartoons they came out with back then. And the wittiness of some of them.

Of course, there were also some that weren't so great, either.

But I liken it to the popular music of the 1960s and '70s. The variety and creativity were amazing. There were a ton of hits, and some misses.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:41 am
Doc Dan wrote:
James Y wrote:
Shazzan (1967 cartoon)

Intro:

Jim

Normally yes.

Remember the Flintstones was originally on PRIME TIME TV in the evening, so it was more of an adult show.

Jim, I found out only several years ago, when I got the full collection of the original Jonny Quest series on DVD, that it originally aired as a prime-time show in its original run (1964 - 1965). I had only first seen Jonny Quest on Saturday mornings at about age 4 (1967 or so), which by then it was in reruns. Jonny Quest straddled a weird line, in that it had shootings (and not the Looney Tunes type of shootings), knockout hits, explosions, plane crashes, fatal falls off cliffs, drownings, killings by monsters and wild animals, etc. It had adult-oriented themes, but was also kid-oriented at the same time. And in spite of some politically-incorrect portrayals, it remains my favorite cartoon series.

I knew The Flintstones had been prime-time, but I never really liked it that much. I thought it was boring.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:03 am
Ankerson wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
James Y wrote:
Shazzan (1967 cartoon)

Intro:

Jim

Normally yes.

Jim, I found out only several years ago, when I got the full collection of the original Jonny Quest series on DVD, that it originally aired as a prime-time show in its original run (1964 - 1965). I had only first seen Jonny Quest on Saturday mornings at about age 4 (1967 or so), which by then it was in reruns. Jonny Quest straddled a weird line, in that it had shootings (and not the Looney Tunes type of shootings), knockout hits, explosions, plane crashes, fatal falls off cliffs, drownings, killings by monsters and wild animals, etc. It had adult-oriented themes, but was also kid-oriented at the same time. And in spite of some politically-incorrect portrayals, it remains my favorite cartoon series.

I knew The Flintstones had been prime-time, but I never really liked it that much. I thought it was boring.

Jim

I knew about Jonny Quest being Prime Time adult type of show.

The fastest way to kill pretty much any show is to think about being PC and putting that over the plot and reality etc.

I can't even think about how many shows that has killed. Most never last a season or even maybe a few episodes before they die.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:53 pm
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

Normally yes.

Jim

The fastest way to kill pretty much any show is to think about being PC and putting that over the plot and reality etc.

I can't even think about how many shows that has killed. Most never last a season or even maybe a few episodes before they die.

True. But back in the 60s, there was no PC, so that wasn't an issue with JQ.

To me, the context and the intent in which something is presented is far more important than making something PC.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:14 pm
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Normally yes.

Jim

To me, the context and the intent in which something is presented is far more important than making something PC.

Jim

Jim,

Yes, I actually want watchable content, you know a real story line, a plot and good acting is always nice.

And maybe some sort of reality to keep things somewhat realistic.

That's somehow been lost for the most part for the past 15 to 20 years anyway and getting worse all the time.

Not even going into the different agendas and I will absolutely turn the channel and never watch that show again. That has been a lot of shows for me too.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:20 pm
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

Jim

Jim,

Yes, I actually want watchable content, you know a real story line, a plot and good acting is always nice.

That's somehow been lost for the most part for the past 15 to 20 years anyway and getting worse all the time.

Not even going into the different agendas and I will absolutely turn the channel and never watch that show again. That has been a lot of shows for me too.

Jim

I'm very picky about what I watch now. I don't watch many different shows, and not many drama series.

As for realism, I expect plausibility and believability if a show or movie's premise is that it's a reflection of reality.

I can also enjoy some types of fantasy, like the better-made old-school Kung Fu movies and spaghetti westerns, which are not realistic. I can suspend my disbelief for something like that, as long as it's not so over-the-top that it messes up the movie's flow or sequencing.

As I mentioned earlier, one of the problems with Hollywood movies now is the overuse of the same people, to the point that the roles that actors are being cast in are not compatible with them. Like Dwayne Johnson reportedly replacing Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow. I won't be surprised if DJ eventually becomes the new James Bond. Or is cast as Tarzan. Or Moses. Or King Arthur. Or Merlin. Or Billy Jack. Or Rocky, in a film series reboot. Or as Homer Simpson, in a live-action The Simpsons movie. Or...or...or...you get the picture. I'm not begrudging DJ his success. But enough is enough, 10 times over. Create some new, watchable stars, AND BETTER CONTENT.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:51 pm
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Jim

Jim,

Jim

I'm very picky about what I watch now. I don't watch many different shows, and not many drama series.

As for realism, I expect plausibility and believability if a show or movie's premise is that it's a reflection of reality.

I can also enjoy some types of fantasy, like the better-made old-school Kung Fu movies and spaghetti westerns, which are not realistic. I can suspend my disbelief for something like that, as long as it's not so over-the-top that it messes up the movie's flow or sequencing.

As I mentioned earlier, one of the problems with Hollywood movies now is the overuse of the same people, to the point that the roles that actors are being cast in are not compatible with them. Like Dwayne Johnson reportedly replacing Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow. I won't be surprised if DJ eventually becomes the new James Bond. Or is cast as Tarzan. Or Moses. Or King Arthur. Or Merlin. Ir Billy Jack. Or Rocky, in a film series reboot. Or as Homer Simpson, in a live-action The Simpsons movie. Or...or...or...you get the picture. I'm not begrudgingly DJ his success, But enough is enough, 10 times over. Create some new watchable stars, AND BETTER CONTENT.

Jim
Jim,

I know what you mean about Dwayne Johnson.. :rofl

THEY really do need to find someone else to cast.

I think it is the lack of depth of thinking and obviously the big push to cast him in everything possible. More than likely by his agent etc.

As for the other stuff, what I ment was quality programing and something that would be believable as far as the shows go etc.

Most of the garbage today is so far removed of even the slightest remote possibility of believability as far as the shows go and or movies for that matter it is pathetic. :eye-roll

Even the science fiction and fantasy stuff has gotten so far out of hand these days. Not going to even start with the action movies etc.

And yes the casting..... I am not going there other than to say some of the massive mistakes have been so massive they completely killed any chance of the movie or show to even begin to do well. I won't go into the reasons why however.

Jim
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

As long as they don't cast Tom Cruise in any remakes I'm okay. He has one and only one expression on his face, regardless of whether he's in love, mad, getting killed, happy, or etc. He only has to know two words of dialogue and then they put in action. Terrible.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

James Y wrote:

Jim
I'm old enough to remember watching Jonny Quest on TV during prime time. That original ranks up there with Scooby Doo and the older Bugs Bunny cartoons. It was one of my favorites and I never missed it. Even when they moved it to Saturday morning and they were all reruns, I still never missed it.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:04 pm
James Y wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:51 pm
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

Jim,

Jim

As I mentioned earlier, one of the problems with Hollywood movies now is the overuse of the same people, to the point that the roles that actors are being cast in are not compatible with them. Like Dwayne Johnson reportedly replacing Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow. I won't be surprised if DJ eventually becomes the new James Bond. Or is cast as Tarzan. Or Moses. Or King Arthur. Or Merlin. Ir Billy Jack. Or Rocky, in a film series reboot. Or as Homer Simpson, in a live-action The Simpsons movie. Or...or...or...you get the picture. I'm not begrudgingly DJ his success, But enough is enough, 10 times over. Create some new watchable stars, AND BETTER CONTENT.

Jim
Jim,

I know what you mean about Dwayne Johnson.. :rofl

THEY really do need to find someone else to cast.

I think it is the lack of depth of thinking and obviously the big push to cast him in everything possible. More than likely by his agent etc.

As for the other stuff, what I ment was quality programing and something that would be believable as far as the shows go etc.

Most of the garbage today is so far removed of even the slightest remote possibility of believability as far as the shows go and or movies for that matter it is pathetic. :eye-roll

Even the science fiction and fantasy stuff has gotten so far out of hand these days. Not going to even start with the action movies etc.

And yes the casting..... I am not going there other than to say some of the massive mistakes have been so massive they completely killed any chance of the movie or show to even begin to do well. I won't go into the reasons why however.

Jim

Nowadays, I mostly watch some of the better paranormal shows, some wrestling (AEW), and some history or nature shows. There's a show that explores the history of abandoned places that I find fascinating.

Rarely, I'll catch Chicago PD. The acting is good, and the main character, Hank Voight, is great, IMO. But many of the supporting cast, good actors though they are, look like underwear models. I doubt there is a police unit anywhere on the planet where most of the members look like that. I mainly watch it to see if I can spot another Spyderco again; early on in the show, Hank Voight used an Endura 4 for various purposes. But that was mostly in the first season or so.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:22 pm
As long as they don't cast Tom Cruise in any remakes I'm okay. He has one and only one expression on his face, regardless of whether he's in love, mad, getting killed, happy, or etc. He only has to know two words of dialogue and then they put in action. Terrible.

Many years ago, when I was into acting, someone in the know in the industry told me that Tom Cruise never has to audition for roles, and hasn't had to for a long time That the movies he's in were made with HIM in mind as the leading man. He gets to pick and choose which roles he plays. I have a strong feeling that I know why that is, but I'm not going to mention it here.

TBH, in general, I'd take Dwayne Johnson, overexposed as he is, over Tom Cruise. Although I will admit that I liked 'Collateral.' Tom Cruise gives me a weird vibe.

Another thing about Dwayne Johnson that makes him unbelievable, and thetefore unrelatable as a character, is his physique. He's unconvincing in his roles, because how would a riverboat captain (Jungle Cruise) have time to have a ripped bodybuilders physique? Or a pirate captain?

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Wally Gator (1962)

Intro:

https://youtu.be/l1EV-b4pF6Y

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ironside (1967 - 1975)