Rockwell Hardness Tester

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
rooster81

Rockwell Hardness Tester

Post by rooster81 »

Anyone knows what's the least expensive Rockwell tester available that's relatively reliable?

Thanks.
TazKristi

Re: Rockwell Hardness Tester

Post by TazKristi »

I'm going to move this to our Off-Topic area since it's not related to Spyderco. I'm sure someone will have helpful information for you.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Your best bet for a low price might be to find a used Rockwell tester through ebay or used machinery source. A Rockwell tester requires that you learn the specific procedure for how to operate it correctly in order to get consistent results no matter what. This will include learning how to check it's calibration at least, and most likely leads to having to learn to adjust the calibration as well. So, while getting a used one might or might not require buying a new diamond indenter, you're going to have to learn to adjust it either way, new or used. I have an original Wilson model from the 50s that's calibrated and works like new. They're very well built machines, you just have to learn how to verify and maintain their accuracy.

PS..just make sure that when you look at used units that they are for testing Rockwell "C".
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've worked in several shops over the years. Rockwell isn't the only hardness tester. There are also Vickers and Brinell as well as a couple of other obscure brands. If I was to get into serious knife making I would sure own one. But they aren't cheap

Also you need to know how to keep any hardness tester properly calibrated.
rooster81

Post by rooster81 »

Thanks for your replies everyone.
Priketelle

Post by Priketelle »

Their price starts around $ 1,000 and I would not advise going below this bar. It's easier to overpay right away than to buy another one later.