Need some tech advise.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Need some tech advise.

Post by apollo »

For some unknown reason my smartphone started to fail on me since yesterday.
So in the evening i started to look for a replacement for my iphone 8, and i can not see the trees in the woods anymore. So many brands i never heard of and even a few that returned from the grave.
Now i can not afford an i phone anymore and i do not want to buy a refurbished one either because if i am honest there garbage there is always something wrong with them after a month or 2 even with this iphone 8 thats now dying. So i say goodby to apple for now.

So i was wondering if some of you could recommend a phone ?
I want one that is decent enough that it should at least last 2 years, It should be good in the basic stuff checking this forum , the news , checking emails, browsing webshops for spyders, etc , ( I do not watch movies or play games on my smartphone ) And have a decent camera so i can keep taking pictures from my spydies and my dogs. And it should not be to expensive so like 250$ max.

So if anyone has an idea for me i would be very happy because it looks like there are more phones out there then there are still trees in the rainforest :woozy

Grtz Dimi
JSumm

Re: Need some tech advise.

Post by JSumm »

Hey Apollo, I have used a number of phones inluding, but not limited to the iPhone, Samsung, Motorola, Nexus, and OnePlus. I was a very early iphone adopter. Phones were a little bit of a hobby for me. In the last few years I have settled on the Pixel Phones. Google phones. For the Android experience, they are about the least filled with bloat and gimmiks. Very clean software experience comparable to iphone. I am currently sporting the 4a. My wife has the 5a. My daughter has her old 3a. The Pixel 6 is out and looks to be a great option. If you can wait, they are coming out with a 6a which will be cheaper than the 6 with slightly lower specs (still great BTW) and will give you at least 2 years of software updates.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
apollo

Post by apollo »

JSumm wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 4:59 am
Hey Apollo, I have used a number of phones inluding, but not limited to the iPhone, Samsung, Motorola, Nexus, and OnePlus. I was a very early iphone adopter. Phones were a little bit of a hobby for me. In the last few years I have settled on the Pixel Phones. Google phones. For the Android experience, they are about the least filled with bloat and gimmiks. Very clean software experience comparable to iphone. I am currently sporting the 4a. My wife has the 5a. My daughter has her old 3a. The Pixel 6 is out and looks to be a great option. If you can wait, they are coming out with a 6a which will be cheaper than the 6 with slightly lower specs (still great BTW) and will give you at least 2 years of software updates.
Hi Jeff.
Thank you for the tip. They sound great and i will keep my eye on them but turns out google pixel smartphones are not for sale here in Belgium. :sad-but-relieved
Of the brands other then apple or google you owned does any other stand out a bit better then the others? I know Samsung is (with apple) on top of the market globally but i heard that there more budget phones are kinda hit or mis.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Motorola has some budget phones with a good reputation. My teenage son has a Moto-g Power that's been reliable and pretty sturdy -- has to be given how often the boy drops it. :eye-roll
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

apollo wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 5:17 am
JSumm wrote:
Hi Jeff.
Thank you for the tip. They sound great and i will keep my eye on them but turns out google pixel smartphones are not for sale here in Belgium. :sad-but-relieved
Of the brands other then apple or google you owned does any other stand out a bit better then the others? I know Samsung is (with apple) on top of the market globally but i heard that there more budget phones are kinda hit or mis.
The real problem I have had with Samsung is their on & off desire to have their own software. Which includes their own app store and duplicate apps of everything Android/Google offers. Makes for a real mess of a software experience. I believe they have abandoned their in house Mobile OS, but I don't think they have fully abadoned their own apps and app store. I have only had their Galaxy line of phones.

The other manufacturer that I really liked was OnePlus. They did use a software skin, but it was the most refined and basic IMHO. Very clean software experience similar to Apple in it's cleanliness. Phone was great. Specs and pricing was competitive. One of their founders stepped down, and I believe they were bought by OPPO. Not sure how the experience has been after that structural change.

Those are my biggest experiences. If Samsung ever goes towards a more stock experience, I would be fine with them. Well accept that their flagships compete with Apple on pricing.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
cjk

Post by cjk »

I do like Android stuff. However, Apple supports their devices with updates at least twice as long as Android vendors. An iPhone 8 can still run the latest iOS. Is it physically damaged? As far as the phone failing, you don't elaborate on the specific problems with the phone, but it surely needs a new battery. Maybe a trip to an Apple store is in order to attempt to fix the existing one rather than buying a new one?
apollo

Post by apollo »

cjk wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 7:39 am
I do like Android stuff. However, Apple supports their devices with updates at least twice as long as Android vendors. An iPhone 8 can still run the latest iOS. Is it physically damaged? As far as the phone failing, you don't elaborate on the specific problems with the phone, but it surely needs a new battery. Maybe a trip to an Apple store is in order to attempt to fix the existing one rather than buying a new one?
The only physical damage the phone has is the lightning connector never really worked wel it got fixed costed me 80 euros and a few weeks later it was already broken again i went back got it repaired again under guarantee and again couple of weeks later you can guess it , it broke again. ( and yes i use only apple chargers) Now that is no problem anymore because i charge it wireless now and that went fine.
Also the battery is fine it is not as good as it was new but i can not complain about battery life.

The problem why i want to replace it now is not only do i have really bad noise while calling ( has had it for a wile but keeps getting worse to the point no one understands me anymore. ) and now it also just disconnects me all the time + it only sends one in ten text messages anymore and says message failed try again… so my best guess the antenna failed? And also it gets really really hot the last couple of days its like holding a hot coffee in the Sahara dessert.
Now why i am not getting this one repaired again is simple.
Not only the repaires above were an expensive joke the i phone 7 i had before this one also got repaired 3 times in 3 different shops to no avail.
So i am definitely not paying very expensive repairs again on this one.

I wish i could stay with iphones i like ios but since apple multiplies there prices every time they make a new model they or not for me anymore.
The last i phone i bought new wast the first SE had it for 4 years and was very happy with it before it broke in an accident. By then the cheapest new phone from apple was already 500 euro’s. Wat for me is way to much not that i do not have the money but i just do not want to give that on a phone so since i tried the refurbished ones now and find them a waste of money

I now just hope to find something from an other brand that is worth it and does not cost a fortune.
Like i said in my OP it just needs to do the basic stuff. :woozy
Last edited by apollo on Thu May 26, 2022 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
apollo

Post by apollo »

JSumm wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 6:53 am
apollo wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 5:17 am
JSumm wrote:
Hi Jeff.
The real problem I have had with Samsung is their on & off desire to have their own software. Which includes their own app store and duplicate apps of everything Android/Google offers. Makes for a real mess of a software experience. I believe they have abandoned their in house Mobile OS, but I don't think they have fully abadoned their own apps and app store. I have only had their Galaxy line of phones.

The other manufacturer that I really liked was OnePlus. They did use a software skin, but it was the most refined and basic IMHO. Very clean software experience similar to Apple in it's cleanliness. Phone was great. Specs and pricing was competitive. One of their founders stepped down, and I believe they were bought by OPPO. Not sure how the experience has been after that structural change.

Those are my biggest experiences. If Samsung ever goes towards a more stock experience, I would be fine with them. Well accept that their flagships compete with Apple on pricing.
Thanks again Jeff for you’re advice. And i indeed found that Oneplus was bought by OPPO.
Those are for sale here so i will take a look at those models and reviews to see if they still compare to the Oneplus phones before they got bought up.
apollo

Post by apollo »

dsvirsky wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 6:29 am
Motorola has some budget phones with a good reputation. My teenage son has a Moto-g Power that's been reliable and pretty sturdy -- has to be given how often the boy drops it. :eye-roll
Thank you dsvirsky.
I will also take a look at those. And see if they are available here.
Good to know they survive a fall that often not that i can remember when and if i ever dropped mine :grin-smiling-eyes.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Hey appollo! The iphone 8's came out five years ago.. ancient tech by today's standards.. despite the frustrations you're having with your phone, it's pretty impressive to me that the model is still supported by Apple. I'm not super knowledgeable about all the other brands, but I don't think there are many (any?) that have that kind of longevity and are still supported by software updates..

If you decide to get something new.. my recommendation is going to violate your parameters haha.. :winking-tongue

I would recommend the newest iphone SE. Apple's budget model. It's a platform that you're already familiar with and at ~$400, it's about a third the price of the fanciest iphone models and less expensive than most of competition. It will do all of the things a basic user needs it to do.. I have an iphone SE 2020 (i think there is a newer one now?) and have done every single one of the tasks you highlight in your OP without issue. I've had my SE for about two years now and it's going strong. People will tell you that the camera is significantly inferior based on all sorts of technical numbers and mumbo-jumbo.. Unless you're a professional photographer, an iphone SE camera is going to be just fine hahah. For an average user, there's really no downside to the SE, imo..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Rick brings up a great option. I am solidified in Android for a number of reasons, so I am no longer familiar with Apple products. The latest iPhone SE is only $429 on Apple's website. Not sure you are going to really beat that price and in a format you are familiar with. Unless you are getting a budget phone from Android. I like to stay in the Mid-tier range or get a flagship from last year when the latest is coming out. And like Rick said, Apple offers the software updates far beyond Google's average 2 year period depending on manufacturer and model.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
apollo

Post by apollo »

Thanks Rick.
Maybe you are right and i should bite the bullet and pay a bit more.
My girlfriend wants to go shopping tomorrow anyway so maybe i see an SE for a good price or who knows something else you guys have mentioned that feels good when i test it. Luckily my vacation bonus should arrive any day now. I can take an extra chunk of that since i am already planning with my brother to both buy a yojimbo 2 at the same time. :woozy

Thank you guys for you’re help. :cheap-sunglasses
cjk

Post by cjk »

DSH007 wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 10:09 am
Hey appollo! The iphone 8's came out five years ago.. ancient tech by today's standards.. despite the frustrations you're having with your phone, it's pretty impressive to me that the model is still supported by Apple. I'm not super knowledgeable about all the other brands, but I don't think there are many (any?) that have that kind of longevity and are still supported by software updates..

If you decide to get something new.. my recommendation is going to violate your parameters haha.. :winking-tongue

I would recommend the newest iphone SE. Apple's budget model. It's a platform that you're already familiar with and at ~$400, it's about a third the price of the fanciest iphone models and less expensive than most of competition. It will do all of the things a basic user needs it to do.. I have an iphone SE 2020 (i think there is a newer one now?) and have done every single one of the tasks you highlight in your OP without issue. I've had my SE for about two years now and it's going strong. People will tell you that the camera is significantly inferior based on all sorts of technical numbers and mumbo-jumbo.. Unless you're a professional photographer, an iphone SE camera is going to be just fine hahah. For an average user, there's really no downside to the SE, imo..
I agree with Rick on the iPhone SE recommendation. Vendors of Android phones typically only provide 3 years of updates or less. Half as much as Apple.
I actually prefer Android to iOS, but the better support of the hardware resulted in a switch for me the last time I needed phones. My previous 4 phones were Samsungs. I used to be the Android person in a family full of iPhone people. They're both good enough.

My wife is really hard on phones. I am not. I am not trying to be rude or disrespectful in any way, but you might wish to evaluate how hard you are on your equipment. It's very curious that you need all these repairs and especially that you need the same repair repeatedly.
apollo

Post by apollo »

cjk wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 12:51 pm
DSH007 wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 10:09 am

I agree with Rick on the iPhone SE recommendation. Vendors of Android phones typically only provide 3 years of updates or less. Half as much as Apple.
I actually prefer Android to iOS, but the better support of the hardware resulted in a switch for me the last time I needed phones. My previous 4 phones were Samsungs. I used to be the Android person in a family full of iPhone people. They're both good enough.

My wife is really hard on phones. I am not. I am not trying to be rude or disrespectful in any way, but you might wish to evaluate how hard you are on your equipment. It's very curious that you need all these repairs and especially that you need the same repair repeatedly.
The problem is there are no licensed dealers in my country so repairs are only done in the around the corner cellphone stores that only sell used phones… There is i am afraid a very big probability that the phones are not even repaired with authorized parts. But i am no tech guy so i am not going to open that stuff myself. And i am not hard at all to my phones i do not even use one that much. And i always use apple chargers so i can not tell why they needed repairs those times. And like i said before my old SE worked perfectly for 4 years unthil a funny guy blasted me with a waterhose at work before i could even put my backpack away in my locker after lunch. Its the refurbished ones i have one trouble after the other with.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Hi apollo, when you call people and they can’t hear you have you tried using earbuds or airpods? I used to service iphone 7’s and the solution was to use an external audio device bc the internal mic/speaker was faulty. Just a thought.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

For about a decade I didn’t even own a computer and I used inexpensive androids, definitely $250 and under and I never saw the point in spending money on a phone, but I was constantly frustrated about something, either the service or glitches and not getting messages, whatever the case may be something was always wrong.

When I finally broke down and bought a new iPhone, it was honestly life changing. I bought my house on it, and I still do pretty much everything on my phone even though I have a 27” iMac and an iPad now, it’s just so easy. The phone I’m talking about was an iPhone 8. I bought one when it first came out, then I sold it and bout an 11 when they came out, now I’m on an iPhone 13 pro max and it does everything I could ask for in a pocket computer, or a camera.

Since that day, I don’t mind spending money on phones anymore. I carry expensive knives… so I kinda got over the expensive phone. I can honestly say that if I couldn’t afford anything else nowadays, I’d make the phone my priority because it does everything in my life. I cash my paychecks by taking pictures via mobile deposit on my phone through my banking app. I don’t really ever reply to emails, I just need to check them and I can do that easily on my iPhone 13 pro max. I even print stuff at work wirelessly from it along with everything else I need and then some. I could sell my computer and my iPad and keep a flagship phone (even android 🤫) and do everything I need to do in life. In reality I don’t need a computer at home, or a tablet. I use a $300 laptop at work, solely for accessing alldata or TIS for fixing cars and that’s it. Other than that a Legit smartphone is all I need for my daily life.

I get that not everyone can afford $1000 phone and I’m not telling you to buy one. But that’s just a quick summery of how it works for me in my life. In my day to day world, it makes a huge difference having a tool that works and works well. Much like quality pocket knives.

To me, it’s worth the investment and I also recommend the new iPhone SE or even an 11 for not much more money.

Edit* had to add I have absolutely NO social media. No Facebook, Instagram, snap chat or anything else. So I I just live with this phone. Googling stuff, attending YouTube university, cashing my paychecks, email, setting reminders, internet surfing, buying knives, selling knives, taking incredible up close pictures of parts for customers or parts guys, quality videos, my alarms, maps to get places, you name it. The benefit of this 13 pro max is that it’s a 2 day battery life with **** near constant use. The battery life alone on this device pretty much kills everything else on the market at the moment.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006