Finally Got Burned by USPS

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
kennethsime

Finally Got Burned by USPS

Post by kennethsime »

Well, it finally happened. My trust in USPS is broken.

I was flying home from vacation on Monday, without checking a bag, and mailed myself my "vacation knife," a Benchmade Bugout, and my Lynch NW prybar.

The woman at the desk was very curious about my package, and I foolishly discussed it with her. She didn't ask if I wanted to insure the package, but then again I didn't ask - I've never had a problem with USPS.

Today, I received the package in this condition:

The only unusual thing in the tracking is that it was scanned for departure twice: once at 4:32pm, and once at 4:48pm. I presume that was once in a sealed box, and once after the contents were removed.

I've filed an insurance claim, as well as a complain with the Office of the Inspector General. I'll call the post office in question, as well as USPIS in the morning.

I don't expect to get anything back, but just needed to vent. At least I bought the Bugout at a discount, with no sales tax.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
prndltech

Re: Finally Got Burned by USPS

Post by prndltech »

That sucks. I never tell anyone what’s inside, always lie. Like model train parts, or hot wheels, or chess pieces, or legos… whatever comes to mind at the time.

Keep us posted
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

prndltech wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 8:49 pm
That sucks. I never tell anyone what’s inside, always lie. Like model train parts, or hot wheels, or chess pieces, or legos… whatever comes to mind at the time.

Keep us posted
I am kicking myself over and over - lying in this case is best.

The knife was just another Bugout, but the Prybar had some great snail trails from the past two years of use. The prybar actually made it through TSA on the way out, but I didn't want to chance it again on the way back. Should have just thrown in with TSA.

And of course, definitely should have bought insurance to cover about $250.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

It's the Curse of the Benchmade.
For people who carry Spyderco's, only good things happen.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Yo, that really sucks, I would be extremely unhappy! I never tell them anything about my package other than it's not hazardous and usually avoid dealing with the personnel at all. I know it's too late now, but I also tape the crap out of those flat rate boxes...it may get crushed, but it won't be easily opened. That's a bummer...
So it goes.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

That's awful, but once they know there is a knife inside, it is going to get pilfered. When I travel, I do not carry expensive knives for that reason. I carry a Spyderco budget model, usually a Cat. It it gets stolen I am only out 50 bucks instead of 150.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

It is very strange that she asked what was inside the box. I never ever have gotten that question mailing knives or other stuff. 😕
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

FedEx or UPS will ask, but I have never had USPS ask me “what are we shipping?”
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 11:32 pm
That's awful, but once they know there is a knife inside, it is going to get pilfered.
Back when I was a young lad, I worked for a gentleman who manufactured high zoot jewelry. Our shipping labels all had our fancy logo. Some of our packages started disappearing, so an investigator from the USPS came to solve the caper. He asked for a handful of our shipping labels, and set up his own sting operation.

All the missing packages had been routed through the Oakland, CA routing facility, so he mailed out some phony jewelry shipments that actually contained exploding dye packs. It wasn't long until one of their employees was observed running out of the building and feverishly trying to wash off the dye. Bwahahaha! Caught blue handed!

After that, we changed our shipping labels to be a little more discreet. Nowadays its common practice for gun and knife dealers to use vague labels.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I hate when I order things from B&H photo and they use their branded packing tape. Sure, tell the world I have expensive things inside...

I was mailing a hasselblad camera at the counter, and I asked to clarify something (tracking or something) and the woman told me, "slow down Jackie Chan" (I am Asian) - thought about saying something, but REALLY didn't want the package missing...
cjk

Post by cjk »

Several months ago, i received a USPS package which was smashed and the ends open. The person shipping it had the foresight to tape the item to the interior of the box, so It was still there. Personally, I would have never thought to do this in the first place, but I will always do it in the future if it seems applicable. That was the difference between receiving my item and not.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I ship from my local P.O. And I am always asked if item is combustible by the three difference employees. I feel bad hearing about this problem since I have a friend who has lost knives shipping to his home from the Western states . Tracking indicated both losses occurred at the St. Louis hub and he was compensated. It still is distressing especially if the knife is something very difficult to replace . I just received a knife from Finland and tracking was rather vague once the package reached the US , tracking only indicated it made to our country and then a few days got notice it was at P.O. It was first time for me to place this type of order so have no idea if this is normal . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I recently had an empty envelope delivered that should have had English Barlow in it. It seems the package ripped open somewhere between England and my post office. No idea in which country it was lost, but at least the seller refunded right away. I hope he got his money back from the insurance.

If you are a seller, the extra tape and effort is worth it. Just dropping it into a pouch is no longer sufficient. And an extra shipping label inside is strongly recommended as well.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Sorry to hear! Not that it's much, but hopefully they give you the $50 of insurance that all flat rate Priority boxes come with by default.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

GarageBoy wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 10:18 am
I hate when I order things from B&H photo and they use their branded packing tape. Sure, tell the world I have expensive things inside...

I was mailing a hasselblad camera at the counter, and I asked to clarify something (tracking or something) and the woman told me, "slow down Jackie Chan" (I am Asian) - thought about saying something, but REALLY didn't want the package missing...
Are you serious? I'm not going to ask what race and political party because I'll get banned. That is inexcusable. I would have gone after them. Still, in the USA such things are the exception rather than the rule. In some countries racism is encoded in the constitutions and is hard to digest for an American. Serious racism, far worse than America, exists in other areas of the world. Terrible.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

One time I mentioned that I was shipping knives and the look on that lady's face told me to never say what I was shipping ever again, I may as well have told her it was a bomb. I also tape the crap out of everything, I don't trust the self sticking boxes or envelopes.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dullmaker

Post by dullmaker »

I always just say tools if asked, so I'm not really lying.
James Y

Post by James Y »

GarageBoy wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 10:18 am

I'm going a bit OT, but I had something similar happen to me, but in a CVS drug store once. Apparently, the manager at this one location was training a couple of guys with developmental disabilities to work at the cash registers. I'm Asian-American. When I got to the register, the big, fat guy at the register said, "Heh heh heh...Jet Li...Jackie Chan...heh heh heh..."

I said nothing, bought the stuff I needed, and left.

The guy at the register looked just like the cartoon character, Fat Albert. As soon as he said it, I almost started singing the Fat Albert theme song, just for the **** of it, but didn't. If I had, it would have looked like i was being a bully, and that's not what I am. Plus, stuff like that doesn't get to me. The manager was supervising the guy at the other register, so she hadn't heard the Jet Li/Jackie Chan comment from this guy. That CVS location wasn't one I normally frequented, anyway, so what would've been the point? I figured the guy behind the register never developed the normal filters most people have.

As far as USPS, luckily, I haven't encountered any issues, YET. That probably has a lot to do with the fact that I don't order or ship items as often as many others do.

Jim
Osok-308

Post by Osok-308 »

prndltech wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 8:49 pm

Keep us posted
This is my go to every time. Unless the guy likes like he collects model trains... then it's just replacement car parts.

To OP that sucks that something like that happened to you. I'm sorry man.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

This sucks to hear.

I have shipped a lot of knives to a variety of places around the world. I mostly use USPS, tracked and insured.

When I ship them internationally I always use USPS. For international shipments Customs requires that I write how many items and specifically what they are. In that case I disclose that it's a knife because I know customs might check (either on this end or at the receiving end). I usually write "kitchen knife" if it's a fixed blade and "small utility knife" if it's a folder and I buy enough insurance to cover my costs.

But, anytime I ship within the U.S. I don't tell them what's in the box. If they ask what I'm shipping I say it's a little toy I made for my friend's kid. They've never asked me to clarify. I don't like to lie like that, in fact it bugs me quite a lot. But in this case I see it as practical and unfortunately necessary to keep thieves from targeting my knives. I also don't put my company name on the label and I only use my first initial and last name on the outside of the box for the return address to avoid anyone associating anything knife related with my package.

Also, for most of my shipments (international and domestic) I put the knife in a separate box with the "to" and "from" addresses on it, and tape the $h!t out of that box. Then, I put that box in the mailer box so there is no possible excuse for a damaged shipping box to result in my contents being lost. (I'm a little nuts about this stuff and I also usually put foam in the inner box and seal it water tight with tape so it will float if the plane crashes...but that's more about me than them I suppose :thinking )

The thing is, I don't think this is exclusively a USPS thing. It's a thief thing and it could happen with any carrier. Taking steps to keep the package discreet is sadly necessary no matter what IMO.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.