History of Great Rock Concerts

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Manixguy@1994

Re: History of Great Rock Concerts

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 8:27 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 7:51 am
I have been to so many concerts over the years I don’t know where to start . My favorite times seeing bands were always in a night club bar setting , Cheap Trick , Ted Nugent , Van Halen , Greg Allman ( met him before concert ) , REO Speed Wagon, Luther Allison , Chaka Khan , and Head East . Joe , I did see Led Zeppelin in St.Louis but was an earlier concert at auditorium for the IV tour . In St. Louis besides Zep , I saw Rod Stewart , Lynard Skynard , and Yes many years ago . I did see The Rolling Stones in concert in 68 with BB King in Champaign and part of footage in the movie captures a friend of mine at the concert just missing me . In what are you listening to thread I usually post albums of artists and background stories if I saw them perform it in concert . Multiple shows of artists would be ZZTop , David Bowie , BB King, Leon Russell , Frank Zappa , and Fleetwood Mac . MG2
I've been to a whole bunch myself. None were really iconic except to me. One regret was that I never got to see a show at Soldier Field. I used hear stories from an older brother about seeing epic show there but never made to a concert there myself. Most were at Rosemont Horizon, Poplar Creek Music Theater (long gone), Alpine Valley, WI, and some smaller venues like the Arygon Ballroom in Chicago. My first concert was on July 4th at Alpine Valley. Scorpions headlined with Iron Maiden and Girlschool opening. Like I said, I've seen a lot of shows but that was by far my most memorable. Another good one was Monsters of Rock also at Alpine Valley, WI. One of the coolest things that happened to me was when we saw Eric Clapton at the Rockford Metro Center. After the show we were walking out next to Robyn Zander of Cheap Trick. As you probably know CT is from Rockford. He was walking along like the rest of. Rockford's kind of a neat small city IMO. I've seen some pretty good shows since I moved to DFW too. I've probably seen more live music since I moved here that I did back in IL in the years between my teens and 50 yrs old when I moved away. I was raising a family during those years. So concerts were few and far between
That is so cool , Cheap Trick played at the Red Lion in Bloomington about once a week until their second album came out . My cousin took me to see them at a different club years ago the first time and Rick Neilson had longer curly hair wearing gypsy puffy long sleeve shirt . Next time we saw them him recreated himself with the crew cut baseball cap look . My home town is between Bloomington and Peoria so it was perfect to catch great acts because of the colleges . Ted Nugent in a club atmosphere was amazing until we saw Van Halen at Second Chance in Peoria nightclub on their first small tour . I saw Aerosmith first tour at ISU , they were so messed up they were terrible . Harvey Mandel opening act blew them off the stage . David Bowie I believe was at Rosemont on the Thin White Duke tour and Diamond Dog tour I saw was in Dayton Ohio.
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I remember seeing Ted Nugent and Charlie Daniels in concert in those early years.

At the Eric Clapton Concert in Nashville in the summer of 1973 or 1974 some guy was going through the crowd cutting people with a razor blade.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 7:33 am
I remember seeing Ted Nugent and Charlie Daniels in concert in those early years.

At the Eric Clapton Concert in Nashville in the summer of 1973 or 1974 some guy was going through the crowd cutting people with a razor blade.
It was probably in 1974 , he played in Iowa that year . Dan
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
benben

Post by benben »

Went to the Plant / Page reunion tour at the Charlotte coliseum in 1998. Easily my favorite, most memorable concert, didn’t want the night to end!

The highlight of the night for me was when they performed “Gallows Pole”, the atmosphere was purely electric, never have I seen a crowd so blown away by a song!

Don’t get me wrong, I love what Zeppelin as a band and Robert Plant have done for the world of music, but that night was all about Jimmy Page for me!

As I said, that was 1998, can’t imagine how good they were in the mid to late seventies…..
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

benben wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 11:15 am
Went to the Plant / Page reunion tour at the Charlotte coliseum in 1998. Easily my favorite, most memorable concert, didn’t want the night to end!

The highlight of the night for me was when they performed “Gallows Pole”, the atmosphere was purely electric, never have I seen a crowd so blown away by a song!

Don’t get me wrong, I love what Zeppelin as a band and Robert Plant have done for the world of music, but that night was all about Jimmy Page for me!

As I said, that was 1998, can’t imagine how good they were in the mid to late seventies…..
One of my favorite songs . I also like In The Evening .
With the band Gallows Pole live was exceptional. Dan
Henry David Thoreau
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Not a big concert fan. Always seemed to have horrible acoustics in nearby venues (San Diego).

Did enjoy a couple though.

Saw Jethro Tull in Berkeley back around 69-70. Awesome.

Best concert I've seen was the Grateful Dead in 1974 at the old Kezar stadium in San Francisco. Beautiful day in August, they played from ~1:30 to 7:30 pm.
Good bang for your buck.

Now I just enjoy great moments on youtube. Some amazing stuff out there.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

shunsui wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 10:41 pm
Not a big concert fan. Always seemed to have horrible acoustics in nearby venues (San Diego).

Did enjoy a couple though.

Best concert I've seen was the Grateful Dead in 1974 at the old Kezar stadium in San Francisco. Beautiful day in August, they played from ~1:30 to 7:30 pm.
Good bang for your buck.

Now I just enjoy great moments on youtube. Some amazing stuff out there.
I saw Jethro Tull at that same time , I believe it was the Aqualung tour at Bradley University. The keyboardist wore a Zebra tuxedo in tails . His keyboards were on each side of stage and would slowly walk behind Ian Anderson timed perfectly to play . Brought a bit a humor to the stage . The concert sort of set a standard for me , it was so well done . Dan
Henry David Thoreau
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

shunsui wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 10:41 pm

One of the more spectacular concerts I seen in the 70s was when Jethro Tull did an outdoor gig at ARROWHeAD Stadium ( where the Chiefs play) and they had over 40,000 in attendence. They had a huge, big screen TV that they called the "Tullavision". I believe it was the "Minstrel In the Gallery Tour" and Robin Trower was their main back up band.

Jethro Tull always put on a great concert.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

benben wrote:

Unfortunately when Bonzo Bonham died the remaining members of Zeppelin could never re-capture the super success they enjoyed in the 70s.

I never got to see any of the Page/Plant performances of the 90s but I heard that some of them were pretty decent. Robert Plant had so much personal tragedy in his own life I'm even surprised that him and Jimmy Page made a second run at it.

Most people don't realize that many of these band members had major hurdles to get over in their personal lives.
benben

Post by benben »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 10:11 am
benben wrote:

Unfortunately when Bonzo Bonham died the remaining members of Zeppelin could never re-capture the super success they enjoyed in the 70s.

I never got to see any of the Page/Plant performances of the 90s but I heard that some of them were pretty decent. Robert Plant had so much personal tragedy in his own life I'm even surprised that him and Jimmy Page made a second run at it.

Most people don't realize that many of these band members had major hurdles to get over in their personal lives.
I'm absolutely sure that night in May of 1998 could in no way compare to one of their mid-seventies shows! Having said that.....it was an incredible night that I'll never forget! Hey, two decades is two decades, think about how you felt 20+ years ago! ;)
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

I caught the Summer Sanitarium in 2000. A little known band called System of a Down opened up, then Powerman 5000, Kid Rock, Korn, and Metallica with Jason Newstead on bass. I turned 18 that weekend and have never saw a pit bigger since then when Jonathan Davis yelled “GO” during Freak on a Leash.
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

My first ever concert was ozzfest 99! 12 hrs of insane metal on 2 stages! Then went to Woodstock99 and few more ozzfests with other metal shows thrown in! I've seen a ton of great metal shows from iconic bands like pantera, down, deftones, slipknot, hatebreed, disturbed, korn, rage against the machine, black sabbath, rob zombie, mudvayne, napalm death, ......metal for life!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

benben wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 1:30 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 10:11 am
benben wrote:

I'm absolutely sure that night in May of 1998 could in no way compare to one of their mid-seventies shows! Having said that.....it was an incredible night that I'll never forget! Hey, two decades is two decades, think about how you felt 20+ years ago! ;)
Hey Brother please don't misunderstand me. I'm 1000% certain that seeing Jimmy Page and Robert Plant perform together on stage in the 90s had to be a great concert indeed. I've said for many years that Robert Plant has been highly overlooked as one of the better lead singers in the rock music genre. I wasn't in any way trying to talk down about them at all.

However it just breaks my heart when many of these older Rock Groups get back together and seem to be nothing but a shell of their old selves. I almost wanted to cry when I seen Jethro Tull perform here in Kansas City in the late 90s and the only original member besides Ian Anderson was his lead guitar player Martin Lancelot Barre>> heck they had an 18 year old kid playing bass that night ( however he wasn't bad at all). But poor Ian Anderson had a chair on stage and had to sit down quite often because he was obviously in a lot of pain for some reason. They were nothing like their dynamic performances of the 70s. So many of them can't recapture the moments that made them famous. Just making a painful observation that's all.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hey can anyone tell me how the Rolling Stones stayed together for so many years????? With the wild and crazy lifestyles those guys led I'm literally shocked that none of them died young ( with the exception of Brian Jones who died mysteriously in the late 60s). Unbelievable that Charlie Watts lived to be 80 is just mind blowing to me. However he was probably the most sane one of the bunch.

I have a really good old friend who seen the Stones here in Kansas City At ARROWHEAD Stadium about 3 or 4 years ago and he said that he was mind blown at how good Jagger could still perform. He also said that Ronnie Wood and Keith Richards both performed at a very high level. I regretted that I didn't go to that concert. But ticket prices for concerts here in Kansas City are totally obscene.

But I still can't hardly believe that the Stones have lasted as long as they have. And maintained their popularity to a high degree as well?????????????
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 8:08 am
Hey can anyone tell me how the Rolling Stones stayed together for so many years????? With the wild and crazy lifestyles those guys led I'm literally shocked that none of them died young ( with the exception of Brian Jones who died mysteriously in the late 60s). Unbelievable that Charlie Watts lived to be 80 is just mind blowing to me. However he was probably the most sane one of the bunch.

I have a really good old friend who seen the Stones here in Kansas City At ARROWHEAD Stadium about 3 or 4 years ago and he said that he was mind blown at how good Jagger could still perform. He also said that Ronnie Wood and Keith Richards both performed at a very high level. I regretted that I didn't go to that concert. But ticket prices for concerts here in Kansas City are totally obscene.

But I still can't hardly believe that the Stones have lasted as long as they have. And maintained their popularity to a high degree as well?????????????
Probably the oldest band still active to a degree . They have a strong pedigree of albums throughout their lifespan in music. I still listen to the old stuff and still appreciate it. Dan
Henry David Thoreau
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Not necessarily rock concerts, but, Gordon Lightfoot, John Denver, Jackson Browne, Dave Mason, Neil Diamond, Eric Clapton, Styx, Heart, Doobie Bros., Little River Band, Larry Carlton, Duane Eddy.

Gave away tickets for the Eagles in '80 due to the "Needs of the Navy," which consisted of bobbing around on an aircraft carrier; sat on my butt the entire time. :cussing Saw Toto with a friend who built/worked on Steve Lukather's guitars; included back stage passes.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 9:46 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 8:08 am

Probably the oldest band still active to a degree . They have a strong pedigree of albums throughout their lifespan in music. I still listen to the old stuff and still appreciate it. Dan
Ed Sullivan brought the Rolling Stones to the USA for his Sunday Night TV Show that was so popular back in the day. That same year 1963 he also brought over the Beatles, Dave Clark Five, Eric Burdon and the Animals and a couple of other bands too. Every parent in North America at the time probably hated Ed Sullivan for that reason :zany

Little did Ed Sullivan know at the time how he changed the landscape for all the teenagers in the USA bringing all those British bands to the USA market. Very few people remember how it all got started. Ed Sullivan changed the entertainment industry forever.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Ed Sullivan opened the door to the British Rock Invasion and the marketing took over from there with shows like Shindig , Dave Clark, and Hullabelloo . We even had a local station have a show called The Hop . I believe the first Beatle tour back up band was guy a few of of know named Roy Oribison . I only know one person to ever see the Beatles live , she said the sound of girls screaming drown out most of the concert , including herself .
Henry David Thoreau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I don’t know if anyone is a fan of the Fixx but new album release on 6/3 and upcoming tour . Dan
Henry David Thoreau
benben

Post by benben »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 11:44 am
benben wrote:

One of my favorite songs . I also like In The Evening .
With the band Gallows Pole live was exceptional. Dan
Thought you might like this?
https://youtu.be/zzWCxZDFCic