Any experience with Quiet Carry knives?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
James Y

Any experience with Quiet Carry knives?

Post by James Y »

Anyone heard of these? They just caught my eye, though in the high-end spectrum. Especially the Drift. Vanax blades. Made for extreme corrosion resistance, including all of the hardware. If they have a really good reputation, perhaps someday...

https://quietcarry.com/collections/the-drift

Jim
Manixguy@1994

Re: Any experience with Quiet Carry knives?

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

James Y wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 5:58 pm
Anyone heard of these? They just caught my eye, though in the high-end spectrum. Especially the Drift. Vanax blades. Made for extreme corrosion resistance, including all of the hardware. If they have a really good reputation, perhaps someday...

https://quietcarry.com/collections/the-drift

Jim
Check Other in Pocket . We have members who have Quiet Carry knives . I have no experience myself and would not be proper to give an opinion. I must say if they made a left hand model I would at least be interested and would do some research to make a decision. Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Awesome knife. I have no regrets
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I've got a Drift that I like quite a bit, my only complaint is that the head of one of the body screws twisted off very easily. I haven't contacted Quiet Carry about getting it fixed...

So it goes.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Get one, and thank us later! My favorite and best knife purchase of the year. Hands down, a fantastic knife. I love mine.
Josh
James Y

Post by James Y »

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. We'll, this gives me something to consider. Although, even if I decide I want one, who knows when I could actually get one. But this gives me a little something to look forward to, if and when I can spare the $$$ to get any more knives in the future.

How is the wire clip? That's one thing I'm not too crazy about. How about the detent, the action, and the lockup? And then, to quote Sal in another thread, "How is the cut?"

Jim
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Detent, action and lockup are all excellent on my example. The wire clip is stiffer than Spyderco's and doesn't have the same side to side play. The blade is ground high & thin and performs very well with a keen edge.

The only thing that may give pause is the shallow choil, I don't normally get nervous about such things but when I first got the Drift I was very conscious of how close my finger was to the edge. I've never had an incident, but it's something to be aware of.

Overall it's an excellently executed design and I would recommend. It does seem like they have a pretty strict no disassembly or modification in any way policy, when it comes to their warranty...for most, that is a non-issue.
So it goes.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I had 2 drifts, sold one to a friend. It is one of my all time favorite knives. Great EDC blade, worth the money IMO. Only time and use will tell, but they seem to be worth the money.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
James Y

Post by James Y »

Airlsee wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 12:08 am
Detent, action and lockup are all excellent on my example. The wire clip is stiffer than Spyderco's and doesn't have the same side to side play. The blade is ground high & thin and performs very well with a keen edge.

The only thing that may give pause is the shallow choil, I don't normally get nervous about such things but when I first got the Drift I was very conscious of how close my finger was to the edge. I've never had an incident, but it's something to be aware of.

Overall it's an excellently executed design and I would recommend. It does seem like they have a pretty strict no disassembly or modification in any way policy, when it comes to their warranty...for most, that is a non-issue.

Thank you for the details. It sounds like a high-quality knife, one that I could be interested in acquiring some day. As for the no disassembly policy, that's OK with me, since I don't take my knives apart.

I suppose when/if I do get one, the only issue would be to choose which handle type. I'm leaning towards the knurled version.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

prndltech wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 7:36 am
I had 2 drifts, sold one to a friend. It is one of my all time favorite knives. Great EDC blade, worth the money IMO. Only time and use will tell, but they seem to be worth the money.

Thank you.

It's weird; 24 hours ago, I hadn't even heard of Quiet Carry, and now I'm seeing one as a strong possibility in my future.

Jim
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I'd like one, but I am unwilling to pay the Vanax SC Tax. It offers more corrosion resistance than I need at a price I'm not comfortable with. Maybe they will offer a Magnacut version in the future? Maybe. Overall, the knives look excellent.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

James Y wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 8:33 am
prndltech wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 7:36 am

Thank you.

It's weird; 24 hours ago, I hadn't even heard of Quiet Carry, and now I'm seeing one as a strong possibility in my future.

Jim

Highly suggest it. Thin blade stock. The whole knife is thin, lightweight and so easy to pocket you truly forget you have it on you.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Appreciate reading everyone's thoughts on the Drift. This has been on my radar for a while now too, but I've never been able to bring myself to buy it. I think it's maybe because it reminds me too much of the Native, which I have several of, including a Native Salt LC200N.. so buying a Drift seems a bit redundant to me in this regard. It does seem like a very nice knife though! Maybe someday..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

I've coveted one of these for some time, really want one. but they are just not worth the price to me for a knife of essentially equivalent quality i could get from a number of other makers, and i know i'm in the minority but i do not like titanium/metal handles or frame locks. if they make some attractive cheaper versions with g10, micarta, wood handles, i'd be all over it
James Y

Post by James Y »

bleasure wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 10:36 am
I've coveted one of these for some time, really want one. but they are just not worth the price to me for a knife of essentially equivalent quality i could get from a number of other makers, and i know i'm in the minority but i do not like titanium/metal handles or frame locks. if they make some attractive cheaper versions with g10, micarta, wood handles, i'd be all over it

Hi. They do offer a G10-handled version that's about $50 to $55 less than the ti-handled versions.

Jim
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

James Y wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 10:41 am
bleasure wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 10:36 am

Hi. They do offer a G10-handled version that's about $50 to $55 less than the ti-handled versions.

Jim
They sell several other interesting knives as well. I've considered the Drift several times, and can't quite pull the trigger. Besides the price, I think it's the proportions of the blade. If it were the same height and an inch longer, I'd already own one. But I've really got a thing for corrosion-free knives, so who knows... ;)
Last edited by Coastal on Fri May 13, 2022 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I've wanted to like this knife, as I've seen a lot of people post it in the others thread. I think it's the quick upsweep, very small belly area and then the instantly large choil that turns me away. If it were more similar to a Native or Shaman shape, I think I'd be much more intrigued.

Edit- was talking to coworkers while posting earlier. Sorry to all that read that incohert mess haha!
Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Fri May 13, 2022 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I've been interested in one, even if I don't have a good affinity with framelocks.
The two interesting points for me are the Vanax (wich I badly want to try), and the continuous curve from tip to butt along the spine.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Well, I decided to live with the blade proportions, as well as the same gripes Rick has. A Drift is incoming. :cheap-sunglasses
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

It’s a great thin slicer, extremely thin. Detent and lockup is great, great action. I can thumb flick it or spydie flick it. And don’t hurt me, but I think the wire clip is 100 times better then the Spyderco wire clip. 😁😛
Josh