Why carry a knife?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Christian Noble

Why carry a knife?

Post by Christian Noble »

I used to write a fair amount including in an outdoor blog I started back in 2012. The last couple years I had quit writing for a host of reasons. Perhaps it is the subject I chose as I have been more frustrated than usual with ‘society’ these days; nonetheless, I started again and have several articles in the works; the first one however is linked below of which I thought the folks here my be interested.

https://masterwoodsman.com/2022/why-carry-knife/

What’s funny, or maybe not so much as I am now questioning my sanity, I wrote basically the same article (maybe more fun actually) eight years ago! Nonetheless, working on cleaning up the blog and more to come.

https://masterwoodsman.com/2014/why-carry-a-knife/
JRinFL

Re: Why carry a knife?

Post by JRinFL »

Nice article.

I upped the size of the knife I carried partially because of a story I read about people trapped in a burning building who had to dig a whole through a wall with their bare hands to reach safety. I thought a pocket knife or multitool would have really eased that task. Emergencies can take a many forms even in our "safe" modern world.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I checked it out , hope to to read more .I like to check out different points of view . Thank you posting. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Granoo Fink

Post by Granoo Fink »

As a resident of Central Europe, these days readily teach you not to rely on the comfort zone we used to live in during the past 30 years.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Good article. Thanks.

I remember carrying pocketknives to school. I first heard of Buck Knives back in the 70s, when I saw my 9th grade typing teacher, Mr. Medina, sharpening a pencil at his desk with a Buck Cadet medium stockman. I asked to see it, then showed him my Schrade medium stockman. This was during class. Sadly, such an interaction occurring nowadays is as impossible as seeing pigs flying past your house.

IMO, pocketknives are one of the basic tools.

Jim
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

IMHO, the late James Mattis said it best and most succinctly:

"My good reason to carry a knife is that God gave me rather weak teeth and rudimentary claws in an evolutionary trade-off. The hairy-armed person who figured out how to put an edge on a suitable rock made it possible for us to be recognizably human in the first place. I wear a wristwatch whether or not I have an appointment to keep, and I carry a pen and/or pencil because I am a literate person whether or not I have a specific writing task ahead of me, and I carry a knife because I am a human and not an ape."
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

When I was in high school most of the guys carried Buck 110s or lookalikes on their belt. I was unusual in that I carried a Vic Huntsman. I forgot to slip it in my pocket one day and my shop teacher needed a knife and I was closest. I told him I forgot it and he scolded me for not having a knife. My how things have changed... but I've rarely been without a knife in the decades since!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
DrHE

Post by DrHE »

I carry a knife because it’s rude and dangerous to open boxes with my gun.
M.N.O.S.D. 0031
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

We too carried knives from our youngest school years and generally used them to sharpen pencils. And yes, haven’t times changed? :eye-roll
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

DrHE wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 9:01 pm
😆

The custodian gets really angry when he has to clean up potato chips scattered all over the lunch room after you try to open the bag with your Glock.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

I live in the Northern Territory Australia.

Not weird to see someone come into town with a crocodile Dundee size knife on their belt.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I think it's genetic at this point.
Half Sack
Location: Alberta, undisclosed location of the Weapon Plus Program

Post by Half Sack »

shunsui wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 6:21 pm
Maybe it's dna, maybe it's Spyderco!
My answer is always to cut stuff. Same with a pen, lighter etc the answer is within the item. Im not that complicated.

The real question is why do I usually have more than one knife?
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

That’s a good point. Why do we need so many?

For my part, I’ve carried a knife for as long as I can remember. Never thought much about it.

Sometimes it’s just a Vic Classic or Rambler.

Sometimes it’s a Chapparal or Salt2.

Or something else: more often than not, it’s a combination of knives, generally Three, these days. It’s a minimum of Two, because I’ve taken to carrying a Ladybug in my wallet, along with the Rambler that’s attached to the outside.

You gotta have knife.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Because I'm American born & raised.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Half Sack wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 8:19 am
shunsui wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 6:21 pm
Maybe it's dna, maybe it's Spyderco!
My answer is always to cut stuff. Same with a pen, lighter etc the answer is within the item. Im not that complicated.

The real question is why do I usually have more than one knife?
I have that same issue....is three with a Swisstool too many? 😂
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

MNOSD member 0032
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

RustyIron wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 9:29 pm
DrHE wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 9:01 pm
😆

The custodian gets really angry when he has to clean up potato chips scattered all over the lunch room after you try to open the bag with your Glock.
😂👍
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

My first knife was a Swiss army camper that my dad gave me because he didn’t want to give up the old buck 112.

I remember at about the age of seven carrying a small slip joint knife. When I was at my friends house, his mother saw me with it and she tried to confiscate it. I was quite shocked and refused to let her do so. I was too young to know what foreshadowing was but that definitely was it. (1980s)

I do think it is ingrained in some peoples DNA to want to carry a knife.

When somebody asks me why I carry a knife I ask them why they don’t.

Probably everyone on this forum has experienced “hey can I borrow your knife?” because they foolishly come unprepared.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Because I have reasons, like opening mail, boxes, breaking down boxes, stripping cable, trimming labels, and other work related tasks. I have so many because I like variety.

I carry a firearm for defense. I respect anyone who carries an edged weapon for defense, but I'll keep my distance if I can! Lol
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i definitely agree with your article and reasoning, but i would say it's not really self-evident to people anymore why anyone would want to carry a knife as a tool, or even that it's useful to do so. unfortunately, the common uses we find for knives seem to be a mystery to most people, made evident by the constant strange looks and questioning as to why we need them. you can also tell based on insane laws prohibiting humans from carrying such a basic utility tool for survival. as i head to d.c. for the day and have to leave my knives behind, i'm once again wondering why we create laws for the sole purpose of restricting our freedom. threatening someone with a knife? illegal. cutting someone with a knife? illegal. vandalism with a knife? illegal. with these laws established, the law against carrying a knife becomes an obvious breech of personal freedom and a clear case of government control and overreach.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C