Honey Badger Knives

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
kennethsime

Honey Badger Knives

Post by kennethsime »

I was watching Knife Center's New Knives video this week and couldn't help but notice how closely Honey Badger Knives resemble Spyderco's approach to their Seki lineup.

Brightly-colored FRN, thumb opening hole (plus flipper tab!), three different sizes, six different blade shapes, and two different blade steel options.

Am I being silly here, or is this pulled pretty directly from the Spyderco playbook? They come in between $30-60, so definitely well below Spyderco Seki prices, and I can't help but feel they're gunning for Spyderco here.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
JSumm

Re: Honey Badger Knives

Post by JSumm »

They even have a similar logo placement. Flattery at least.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I saw those too, even some serrated hawkbills! That surprised me.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Yeah, they sure do look like Spyderco Wannabe's.
Maybe they're awesome knives, but I'm not all that curious about them.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Their logo must have been designed by Putin because it’s nothing short of a war crime. That logo is atrocious. Beyond the fact that I only buy Spyderco, I would never buy one of those knives simply based on how bad their logo is. Really, it’s that bad.

I agree that it is apparent they are imitating Spyderco in multiple ways. At the very least, they were “strongly inspired” by Spyderco’s success. Just as Jeff said, “imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.”

Their whole identity is lazy and totally unoriginal. It is everything I dislike about current day marketing. I personally see it as a deceptive and apathetic way of coming out with something “new.” They’re copycats and I don’t expect the brand to last long. Also, they have a very poorly designed logo.

———

This is actually a good example of why I personally dislike the trend Spyderco seems to be on, where they just cram different blade shapes into existing handle designs. It has become the easy way out and I always thought Spyderco was above that. The whole “different blade shape in existing handle” trend is so easy to do that low budget beginner brands are now using it as an entry level branding strategy.

I know Spyderco has a long history of doing it (and doing it well) but it seems like the pace of it has rapidly increased in recent years. I’m of the belief that Spyderco should stop trying to please everyone with every different model they make. Sometimes it is great to see that our feedback makes a difference but unfortunately for me, it may have begun to make too much of a difference.
-Nick :bug-red
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Do they offer anything that is not a liner lock? Are they all flippers?

And it looks like they are almost all 8cr13mov, with their upgraded models in D2?

I honestly don't see anything in their line up that I can't get cheaper from AliExpress.
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

Their first model is a clone of the Maxace Balance, and this new blade shape looks like it copies the Tasman Salt. I am not impressed.
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 10:15 am
... I can't help but feel they're gunning for Spyderco here.
I feel like a few companies are directly gunning for Spyderco, but Honey Badger isn't one thats ever come to mind.

I can definitely see some similarities, though.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
12 Maxace, 8 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Honey Badger offers knives in different sizes and blade shapes so they're gunning for Spyderco? What?

Based on an in-depth-30-seconds worth of internet research and that logic.. Honey Badger Knives started in South Africa in 2014, so clearly they are gunning for another popular South African maker that offers a flagship model in multiple sizes & blade shapes..

(picture stolen from google)

Joking aside, can anyone seriously name one production knife company that doesn't have at least one popular model in multiple sizes or different blade shapes? Sypderco is hardly the only company doing this and trying to infer that HB offering model/blade-shape variations is somehow a direct attack on Spyderco is.. well, pretty ludicrous imo. Have what opinions you may about the goofy logo (I actually kind of like it.. he he silly :badger ), but in my head, a liner-lock 8cr flipper on bearings is a ways off from a Seki back-lock in k390. I see how HB's variations and price point may appeal to a pretty wide swath of the budget-knife-buying market.. that silly logo may be nibbling into Kershaw's bottom line, but I think Spyderco is probably safe from any meaningful competition from the likes of Honey Badger..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I'm going to take a slightly contrary position. I'd much rather HB do what they are doing, using Spyderco as an inspiration, instead of straight up make clones of Spyderco knives. None of their knives would ever fool me into thinking they were Spydercos, or even Byrds. They have their own aesthetic, such as it is.

But that logo! I wonder if Mushroom has seen it yet!? ;) :zany
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

DSH007 wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 10:57 am
Honey Badger offers knives in different sizes and blade shapes so they're gunning for Spyderco?

Of course they are. And Spyderco is gunning for Cold Steel's market share. And Cold Steel is gunning for Benchmade's market share. And Benchmade is gunning for Buck... Any viable company in any industry is aware of the competition and thinking of ways to provide a better service at a better price in order to lure the best customers.

When I would meet a new customer, I would often ask, "No one ever changes unless there is a reason to do so. What was XXXXX Company doing that you didn't like?" It's a simple question that tells me what a customer is looking for. If it would fit within what I could do, I would give the customers what they like, and try to avoid the pitfalls that plagued my predecessors. I'm certain knife companies do the same thing: Use their competitors' experiences to maximize their own successes while minimizing the flops.

Just this morning I got an email from Hogue advertising a new knife. See the image below. Some features are derivative of Spyderco, others of Benchmade. For a real knife expert, there are probably other obvious features from other knifemakers. I'm sure the kids at Hogue are hoping that these "similarities" to other respected knives-- along with their own unique flair--will help steal customers from the other knife makers.

045f78bf-c587-da1b-c5a4-0a0772fc8207.jpg
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

DSH007 wrote: Honey Badger offers knives in different sizes and blade shapes so they're gunning for Spyderco? What?

Based on an in-depth-30-seconds worth of internet research and that logic.. Honey Badger Knives started in South Africa in 2014, so clearly they are gunning for another popular South African maker that offers a flagship model in multiple sizes & blade shapes..

Joking aside, can anyone seriously name one production knife company that doesn't have at least one popular model in multiple sizes or different blade shapes? Sypderco is hardly the only company doing this and trying to infer that HB offering model/blade-shape variations is somehow a direct attack on Spyderco is.. well, pretty ludicrous imo. Have what opinions you may about the goofy logo (I actually kind of like it.. he he silly :badger ), but in my head, a liner-lock 8cr flipper on bearings is a ways off from a Seki back-lock in k390. I see how HB's variations and price point may appeal to a pretty wide swath of the budget-knife-buying market.. that silly logo may be nibbling into Kershaw's bottom line, but I think Spyderco is probably safe from any meaningful competition from the likes of Honey Badger..
I agree that the phrase “gunning for Spyderco” is a bit over dramatic. They’re gunning for a spot in the industry if anything. Although I still agree with the OP in the sense that in doing so, it seems pretty obvious, they took some inspiration from Spyderco. In concept that is not illegal but it can challenge what is ethically correct. Personally, I think it’s reasonable to question that.

Also, you’re allowed to like their logo but that doesn’t change how objectively bad it is. I’m probably just bias when it comes to that sort of thing but to me it comes off as careless. If they care that little about their brand identity, it makes me think they care that little about their brand’s product as well. My perception is that they’re taking advantage of a hot market by riding the coattails of industry leaders. They’re doing the bare minimum and disguising it by offering 18 or so basic variations of one knife.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

JRinFL wrote: I'm going to take a slightly contrary position. I'd much rather HB do what they are doing, using Spyderco as an inspiration, instead of straight up make clones of Spyderco knives. None of their knives would ever fool me into thinking they were Spydercos, or even Byrds. They have their own aesthetic, such as it is.

I wish I could unsee it! LOL! :grin-squint
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 12:28 pm
JRinFL wrote: I'm going to take a slightly contrary position. I'd much rather HB do what they are doing, using Spyderco as an inspiration, instead of straight up make clones of Spyderco knives. None of their knives would ever fool me into thinking they were Spydercos, or even Byrds. They have their own aesthetic, such as it is.

I'm going to send Robert Kraft an email for a new helmet decal design ;)
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 12:34 pm
Mushroom wrote:

I'm going to send Robert Kraft an email for a new helmet decal design ;)
LOL! I would still have to be a fan of the team but I’d also have to accept the fact that they would have the worst logo in sports history! :grin-squint
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

RustyIron wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 12:09 pm
DSH007 wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 10:57 am
Honey Badger offers knives in different sizes and blade shapes so they're gunning for Spyderco?

Of course they are. And Spyderco is gunning for Cold Steel's market share. And Cold Steel is gunning for Benchmade's market share. And Benchmade is gunning for Buck... Any viable company in any industry is aware of the competition and thinking of ways to provide a better service at a better price in order to lure the best customers.

When I would meet a new customer, I would often ask, "No one ever changes unless there is a reason to do so. What was XXXXX Company doing that you didn't like?" It's a simple question that tells me what a customer is looking for. If it would fit within what I could do, I would give the customers what they like, and try to avoid the pitfalls that plagued my predecessors. I'm certain knife companies do the same thing: Use their competitors' experiences to maximize their own successes while minimizing the flops.

Just this morning I got an email from Hogue advertising a new knife. See the image below. Some features are derivative of Spyderco, others of Benchmade. For a real knife expert, there are probably other obvious features from other knifemakers. I'm sure the kids at Hogue are hoping that these "similarities" to other respected knives-- along with their own unique flair--will help steal customers from the other knife makers.

045f78bf-c587-da1b-c5a4-0a0772fc8207.jpg
Lot of fair points made here Rusty.. I guess where I’m coming from, I see Spyderco and Honey Badger as a bit of an apples to oranges comparison in that they generally cater to different segments of the market.. HB to the entry level user and Spyderco to the more high-end/established knife user. I don’t really think either company is poised to have much impact on the other’s business..
Rick H.

DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Mushroom wrote:
DSH007 wrote: Honey Badger offers knives in different sizes and blade shapes so they're gunning for Spyderco? What?

I agree that the phrase “gunning for Spyderco” is a bit over dramatic. They’re gunning for a spot in the industry if anything. Although I still agree with the OP in the sense that in doing so, it seems pretty obvious, they took some inspiration from Spyderco. In concept that is not illegal but it can challenge what is ethically correct. Personally, I think it’s reasonable to question that.

Also, you’re allowed to like their logo but that doesn’t change how objectively bad it is. I’m probably just bias when it comes to that sort of thing but to me it comes off as careless. If they care that little about their brand identity, it makes me think they care that little about their brand’s product as well. My perception is that they’re taking advantage of a hot market by riding the coattails of industry leaders. They’re doing the bare minimum and disguising it by offering 18 or so basic variations of one knife.
I think Jim's (JRinFL) post is a fair take on HB knives.. Any argument calling ethics into question is pretty thin, imo..

Full disclosure, I actually have a medium drop point Honey Badger, that I bought one night a few years back in a moment of weakness, after maybe a few too many beers.. for the $30 I paid for it, it’s an objectively decent knife in the ways that matter to most people. Build construction is actually quite good.. action is very smooth, lockup is solid, blade was sharp/grinds were even.. overall f&f is honestly pretty great for the price tag. The ergos are decent for my hand, but hindered by the end corner of the pocket clip digging into my palm uncomfortably. Really hard to complain about it though for 30 dollars. I don’t carry it often because.. well, why would I over my Spydercos?.. but I think HB makes sense for a lot of people in the market for a budget knife. I have a hard time faulting Honey Badger as a company for trying to put out a decent product that appeals to a target customer base, regardless of where the "inspiration" may or may not have come from.

As far as the logo goes.. I admit I probably fell asleep in art class the day we discussed what constitutes “objective" art.. but that’s an argument you seem very intent on winning here, Nick, so I’ll concede defeat on this point hahah.. The cartoon honey badger logo is not a hill I’m willing to die on! :badger :winking-tongue
Rick H.

RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

DSH007 wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 9:57 am
I think HB makes sense for a lot of people in the market for a budget knife. I have a hard time faulting Honey Badger as a company for trying to put out a decent product that appeals to a target customer base

That's the great thing about capitalism--there's something for everyone. There are customers who want the best and have the resources to pay for it. Other customers want the lowest price, regardless of the quality of the product. The two extremes are easy. The hard part is making a product that falls somewhere in the middle, while trying to find the perfect balance of quality, price, and customer expectations.

TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Honestly, the logo looks like a skunk to me. I had to go back and look at it after all the discussion about it in this thread.

I still don't see anything that makes me want to buy one of their knives, though.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Blade HQ just announced an exclusive in these. Looks like they are getting some kind of traction.

- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005