dremel and masking

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Tony Delica

dremel and masking

Post by Tony Delica »

I have a project wherein I tape a piece of wood and then dremel (engrave?) small numbers into the wood through the tape. Afterwards, I spray with black enamel, then remove the tape. The idea is that the engraving is painted and I don't have to clean paint off the wood yadda.

Unfortunately, the dremel tool (using a 1/16" or 3/32" ball bit) leaves the tape's edges fuzzy, or pulls the tape out of places like the inside of an 8's loop.

Any ideas on improvements to technique or materials? I don't want to hand-paint the numbers; there will be something like 400 of them by the time I am done.

Pictured is a prototype as I try different things. You can tell on a different edge, I tryed using Dykem. Easy to apply but the wood soaked it up and it did what it do. :zany The workpiece is 3/4" x 3/4" x 7 1/2"
Michael Janich

Re: dremel and masking

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Tony Delica:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
hereiamu1

Post by hereiamu1 »

Try using an exacto knife to cut the outline in the tape.
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

I can't see the picture, but what about just sanding the face afterwards?
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

^^^What Bob said.

I've done it plenty of times on metal that's been stamped, etched, cast, etc. The only unknown is if the paint will soak into the high-points of the wood, where you don't want it. It might be necessary to put some kind of finsh on the wood before engraving.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

RustyIron wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 12:15 pm

^^^What Bob said.

I've done it plenty of times on metal that's been stamped, etched, cast, etc. The only unknown is if the paint will soak into the high-points of the wood, where you don't want it. It might be necessary to put some kind of finsh on the wood before engraving.
Some folks use nail polish as a mask. I wonder if that might be a more precise version of masking tape? Easily removed with nail polish remover afterwards.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Tony Delica

Post by Tony Delica »

kennethsime wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 9:59 pm
Some folks use nail polish as a mask. I wonder if that might be a more precise version of masking tape? Easily removed with nail polish remover afterwards.
Interesting idea. As long as the paint doesn't get attacked by acetone,...

I did have a test with floor wax and spray paint. The paint came off remarkably easily.
Tony Delica

Post by Tony Delica »

I've been slacking, but the bone blanks are made.
Attachments
photo_2022-05-09_22-44-50.jpg