Yard Work - Nice Day

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Naperville

Yard Work - Nice Day

Post by Naperville »

It's 80F to 85F and I'm picking up branches that have fallen so the lawn can be mowed here in N. Central Illinois. I suppose those living in warmer climates have had shorts on for quite a while, but 1st day for me.

Nice day. Have to get used to the heat again. Can really feel the sun on my neck and all of the wide brimmed hats are either too small or too large, doh! Have to pick one up soon.

Ground still very damp, and soggy in some places. I note the lack of abundant birds that are usually around here. Poor things are under attack from Bird Flu. We take the birds, dogs, cats, and wildlife in general for granted.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Manixguy@1994

Re: Yard Work - Nice Day

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Imageme too ! Very windy! Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
benben

Post by benben »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:30 pm
Ferris suspension, nice! A guy in my neighborhood owns a lawn / landscaping business, he just bought a new 60” Ferris. I saw with my own eyes him do a burnout and leave two 4’ black marks in the road in front of his house. Pretty impressive power!

I’ve been on the fence for awhile now wanting a Wright Stander. I have a 40” Toro commercial walk behind, it’s one more cutting machine! Once you use a true commercial mower it’s hard to go back, and yes, there’s a huge difference!
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Nice lawn mower! I'd need far more lawn to make that practical, but I wish we had the lawn!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageI like the Ferris 48 , 25 horse , and set up to mulch . Picture of part of backyard last year . Yeah the Ferris will scoot ! Dan
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
benben

Post by benben »

Yeah that ^^^ would be fun to cut with a 22” push mower.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

benben wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:49 pm
Yeah that ^^^ would be fun to cut with a 22” push mower.
:smlling-eyes
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Dan, you are not messing around.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:10 pm
ImageI like the Ferris 48 , 25 horse , and set up to mulch . Picture of part of backyard last year . Yeah the Ferris will scoot ! Dan
Beautiful yard. You have a green thumb!
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JSumm wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:01 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Dan, you are not messing around.
I had a 54 Inch JD and a Cub Cadet Commercial 54 inch , JD cut great the Cub was not what I would say a quality mower . 48 inch is about the limit for a good cut mulching. Mulching really helps keeping me out of the dog house blowing grass in the big landscape islands ! Ha ! The Ferris is commercial grade grease Zirts everywhere no sealed bearings and fab deck .
Henry David Thoreau
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:10 pm
Dang, Dan.
I wanted a Ferris so bad. I've got close to 7 acres to mow. For almost 30 years I mowed with a 1957 Ferguson Deluxe 35 tractor (I think it's a '57) (started mowin with the tractor at 13 years old) and a 60" mowing deck behind it. Fast forward to 3 years ago, I cheaped out and went with a Cub Cadet Zero Turn 50" deck. Got it new for $3,000 including tax. At any rate I was looking at a big Ferris with I think a 25 hp Kawasaki engine. Man, that hurts to see that Ferris of yours. I think I could've had that big Ferris for $7k at the time as it was on sale. With the way things are now, I don't doubt it would be close to $9k......
I like that Cub Cadet. But, those big Pro Mowers are so fast. My little brother & Brother in law both have big Pro Husqvarna mowers. But, I want a Ferris.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

The company where my wife works does all the mowing at Caterpillar and they exclusively use Ferris . When I bought mine a couple years ago it was between the Ferris and a Kubota which I also really liked but dealer was 30 miles away and Ferris is only 6 miles from my house . With the mulch kit I have to mow at a slower speed for a good cut and grass must be dry . Mulchers perform best at a 48 inch so that is why I downsized from a 54 inch . If I buy another zero turn it would be a Grasshopper front deck . Friend had one and was very impressed with the cut and cleaning deck is so much easier . I’m going to order the accessory lift for mine to see how well it works this week . I use ramps now , it is ok but I think I can do better . Only thing with this model is smaller rear tire size , you really have to be dialed in turning or it eats turf . All zero turns respond differently to,controls , pays to test them out . Kubota controls were a bit better with larger tires but no suspension , still was a nice mower .
Henry David Thoreau
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

A few years ago I worked at a 30 acre cemetery. We used a couple of 54" Hustler X-One zero turn mowers. I don't have much experience with other brands, but I was happy with those Hustlers.

For home use, I have a 19" Worx electric push mower purchased in 2018. I had to get used to the cord, but it's been a decent mower for my small (0.15 acre) property. Not having to deal with gas, oil, and excessive noise has been nice.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:31 pm
I had to get used to the cord
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:07 pm
PeaceInOurTime wrote:
For some reason I knew this thread was going to have a visitor ! Ha ha ha ha ! Good one Bloke !
Henry David Thoreau
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Got the front yard done yesterday.
Josh
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:07 pm
PeaceInOurTime wrote:

Hahaha!! Thanks, I'm honored 😅
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

murphjd25 wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:29 pm
Got the front yard done yesterday.

That's a fantastic view!
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Great job ! View is outstanding, I would never want to be in the house . Dan
Henry David Thoreau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageThis is from the back on trail . ImageThis trail that connects three backyards for 4 Wheelers to access my hillside with organic materials . Trail was railroad bed we covered with chip rock and pea gravel . Nice to have buddies with heavy equipment I don’t have access too . Dan
Henry David Thoreau