New Leather Ranger Belt

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacLaren

New Leather Ranger Belt

Post by MacLaren »

There's nothin like that feelin of getting something custom made and top quality. The only thing better maybe would be for an outstanding price. I think I just scored on both counts. Actually, I know I did.
I've been in the market for a good thick sturdy gun belt. One that will hold up to the weight of a full size 1911 and a S&W N Frame. Well, I had Mr. Jerry Biggs out of Palm Bay, FL (AHLPS) make me a heavy Ranger Belt. Mr. Biggs makes handmade Custom Leather Gun Belts, regular belts, and a bunch a horse Bridle stuff too. Forgive me, I don't know much of anything about horses.
At any rate, I am just so happy with what I got. This Custom Handmade Leather Ranger Belt weighs 18oz
It's made with English Bridle Leather from Sedgwick & Co. out of Walsall, England and, Latigo Leather. Jerry uses very nice Chicago Screws and heavy stainless steel Roller Buckle. He has a 5 year breakage warranty but, I just don't ever see this big sob ever breaking.
At any rate, I can't recommend him enough. Here's a few pics gang. Thanks for letting me share.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: New Leather Ranger Belt

Post by Doc Dan »

That is very, very nice. I had one from another maker, but it shrank to the point I could no longer wear it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:01 am
That is very, very nice. I had one from another maker, but it shrank to the point I could no longer wear it.
Thanks, Dan
I hate to hear that about your belt Dan. From what I understand some leather will shrink more than others especially if your sweating a lot and if your in the South, that will surely happen. I think I might be ok with this English Bridle Leather. I believe it's the least likely to shrink out of all the leathers. ( I think )
Heck, I liked this belt so good, I'm having him make me another one too.
benben

Post by benben »

Very nice Paul! I’ve wore a dedicated gun belt every single day for the last 20 years, anything else feels like a limp noodle to me now.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

benben wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:27 am
Very nice Paul! I’ve wore a dedicated gun belt every single day for the last 20 years, anything else feels like a limp noodle to me now.
Thanks man!
I hear ya man. It's so nice to have that solid feelin
Reminds me of my duty belt from the police dept - in the sense that my holster won't be saggin - no limp noodle, like you said!
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:16 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Thanks, Dan
I hate to hear that about your belt Dan. From what I understand some leather will shrink more than others especially if your sweating a lot and if your in the South, that will surely happen. I think I might be ok with this English Bridle Leather. I believe it's the least likely to shrink out of all the leathers. ( I think )
Hello! Leather does not shrink like that. I got bigger as I got older. :winking-tongue :grin-smiling-eyes
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:23 am
MacLaren wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:16 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Thanks, Dan
Hello! Leather does not shrink like that. I got bigger as I got older. :winking-tongue :grin-smiling-eyes
Lol, I kinda thought that was what you meant.
But, some leathers certainly can shrink with body sweat. I was reading an article from a leather expert.
He said that Bridel leather was least likely to do so.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Here ya go Dan....I didn't think it possible either till I read this and what's funny is just after I read that article I saw your post......at first I thought you were joking but, then I thought oh helll, what if he not, lol
Anyways....
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Dan, benben, I'm gonna use Blackrock Leather n Rich and Renwax to take care of it.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Dan, I actually found this belt on ETSY.
Now, I have no experience with ETSY. I just happened to see something listed on that website one day searching for something and one thing lead to another and I got to looking at Leather holsters. Well, I saw this one holster that was just beautiful- and for what it looked like a very good price! It was Amish made as the ad stated. Well, I took a chance knowing full well I may get burned up. And, lol, I did. It wasn't nearly as nice as what those "glamor shots" they had looked.
The inside was totally unfinished and the Leather was thinner and not nearly as finished as what the pic showed. The pic also showed the inside leather to be smooth and finished. Lol, they burnt me up.
I didn't even try to return it or contact the owner. I just gave it a 3 star out of five review and advised people to stay away as there are much better choices out there for that same.money. ($69)
Long story short, after the review I was surfing ETSY and saw one of Jerry's Belts. And those pics were the furthest from "glamor shots" - as a matter of fact, he could do better with his stock photos. But even so, his belts looked absolute legit.....so, I called Mr. Biggs and talked to him for a bit and decided which belt I wanted.
He was a good fella and I had a good "gut" felein about him. And, since then I've ordered another.
This story just further reinforces the old adage of - if it looks to good to be true then it probably is.
Now, he can do whatever ya like. And, he's very easy to work with too. Glad, I went with him.
Seriously, for what some people are charging for regular run of the mill leather belts, what you get from Jerry- I honestly think the man could get double than what he charges
benben

Post by benben »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:04 am
Dan, benben, I'm gonna use Blackrock Leather n Rich and Renwax to take care of it.
Obenauf’s Heavy Duty LP is another great product! It’s actually beeswax, I use it on the palm liner and palm binding on all of my high dollar ball gloves. Beeswax forms a natural barrier against sweat and moisture, so basically anywhere a bare sweaty hand can touch the glove. Sweat and the bacteria it creates is the number one killer of gloves….well actually all leathers. It’s a great product!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

That is one beautiful belt, Mac! I’ve always fancied a ranger belt, not that I have a 1911 to hang from it …

Leather belts are one of those things that you really get what you pay for, I have found.

Like Doc, I have also found that my belts have shrunk over the years!
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

MacLaren wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:16 pm
I think I just scored on both counts.
That's some fancy cow meat. How about a peek at the gun leather that goes with such a belt.

P.S.
Of course leather shrinks when it gets wet.
Ever heard the phrase, "If the glove don't fit, you must acquit?"
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

RustyIron wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:20 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:16 pm
I think I just scored on both counts.
That's some fancy cow meat. How about a peek at the gun leather that goes with such a belt.

P.S.
Of course leather shrinks when it gets wet.
Ever heard the phrase, "If the glove don't fit, you must acquit?"
Remember that quite well 😃
Btw, holsters haven't gotten here yet. Still being carved up.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:21 pm
That is one beautiful belt, Mac! I’ve always fancied a ranger belt, not that I have a 1911 to hang from it …

Leather belts are one of those things that you really get what you pay for, I have found.

Like Doc, I have also found that my belts have shrunk over the years!
Lol, thank you!
Yeah, I've had quite a mysteriously shrink like Doc's & yours too 😉
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:23 am
I got bigger as I got older.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Rut-roh!! The "Thunder from Down Under" has struck again!! 🌩 ⚡️
Hehehe.....your not a Spyderco forumite until you've been "bloked" 😆
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

To my way of thinking, horse is better leather than cow. It is nearly indestructible. Hippo is even better. However, there is a cost factor there, too.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:12 am
To my way of thinking, horse is better leather than cow. It is nearly indestructible. Hippo is even better. However, there is a cost factor there, too.
Well, we always have "hungry,hungry,hippos" Dan-O
Come to think of it, a Hippo would make a helluva long belt, wouldn't it? 😉
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

MacLaren wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:16 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:12 am
Well, we always have "hungry,hungry,hippos" Dan-O
Come to think of it, a Hippo would make a helluva long belt, wouldn't it? 😉
Hahaha! Yes, but I don't need THAT much. It does make tough leather. I think they make shamboks out of it. I've had horse hide holsters and belts that never wore out and my mountain boots from my army days were of horsehide. You couldn't tear them up. However, cow hide is good and especially calfskin.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050