Barkriver Bushcrafter v.s. Barkriver Ultralite Bushcrafter

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.

Which do you perfer Bushcrafter or ULB, and which one should I get

I prefer the Bushcrafter
50%
I prefer the ULB
No votes
I don't know which one I prefer
No votes
You should get the Bushcrafter
No votes
You should get the ULB
No votes
I don't know which one you should get
50%

Total votes: 2

Paraguy

Barkriver Bushcrafter v.s. Barkriver Ultralite Bushcrafter

Post by Paraguy »

The Bushcrafter just dropped and the Ultralite should be dropping any day now. My main use would be as a bushcraft knife. I could start EDCing it too. I'm used to using a Mora no. 1 classic. Any comparison pics of either of these knives with any other well-known knife (especially Spyderco, Mora, Benchmade, and Jeff White knives would be appreciated). I'm not into luging around big fixed blades unless it's for clearing brush. When I'm camping I also bring a lightweight saw and/or a hatchet so its chopping ability isn't important. I want it to be a stand-alone knife but also something I'll actually carry. I'm leaning towards the ULB mostly because it's cheaper and seems as though it would be a more all-around knife I could also EDC. But I don't want to get it if it's too small to be a primary woods knife. How do they compare in the hand? (in-hand pics would be very helpful)
https://youtu.be/e_FZadXbBVA
This video is also leaning me towards the ULB
"Some call me...Tim?"
kennethsime

Re: Barkriver Bushcrafter v.s. Barkriver Ultralite Bushcrafter

Post by kennethsime »

I just updated the Bark River Knives thread with a new shot of my barkie collection, including the Bushcrafter and the Bushcraft Scout. I can compare those two to my Mora Kansbol & Eldris tomorrow, plus my PD1 Mule.

I don’t have an ULB, though I do have a preorder. I think that I’m going to hold off, having just picked up the very similar Bushcraft scout.

If I was going to have one knife in the woods, I want something about 4” (Bushcrafter). The only potential downside is that the blade stock is rather thick, but I think this is a big plus for Bushcraft.

If I wanted a smaller, ultra lite edc knife, I’d go ULB. It is very light weight, as the name suggests.

Neither are particularly large knives, and both are very capable.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Ok, I got some shots for you.

Here's the full album, with more profiles, spine shots, and in-hand-shots.

The Bushcraft Scout is my stand-in for the ULB here, as it is based on the ULB. The big differences are that the scout has a 1/2" longer, slightly thicker blade, a spear point, and a beefier handle with a bit of spine jimping. The ULB has a shorter drop point blade and a thinner overall handle. In specs:

Bushcraft Scout:
  • Overall length: 7.85"
  • Blade Length: 3.75"
  • Blade thickness: .093"
Ultralight Bushcrafter
  • Overall Length: 7.29" (185mm)
  • Blade Length: 3.27" (83mm)
  • Blade Thickness: 0.09" (2.28mm)
As you can see in the comparison shots, the Bushcrafter is a much bigger knife. While the length is not too dissimilar, the Bushcrafter is nearly twice as thick at .162". The handle is also much more generous, offering a nice, full-size grip. The ULB or Scout is great for EDC or a day hike in the woods, but I would prefer to have the full-size Bushcrafter with me if I were caught by surprise and ended up in the woods overnight.

Hope that helps!

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

From a friend:

Bushcraft Scout on the left, ULB on the right:

And now ULB on the left, Scout on the right:

Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:19 am
Ok, I got some shots for you.

Here's the full album, with more profiles, spine shots, and in-hand-shots.

The Bushcraft Scout is my stand-in for the ULB here, as it is based on the ULB. The big differences are that the scout has a 1/2" longer, slightly thicker blade, a spear point, and a beefier handle with a bit of spine jimping. The ULB has a shorter drop point blade and a thinner overall handle. In specs:

Bushcraft Scout:
  • Overall length: 7.85"
  • Blade Length: 3.75"
  • Blade thickness: .093"
Ultralight Bushcrafter
  • Overall Length: 7.29" (185mm)
  • Blade Length: 3.27" (83mm)
  • Blade Thickness: 0.09" (2.28mm)
As you can see in the comparison shots, the Bushcrafter is a much bigger knife. While the length is not too dissimilar, the Bushcrafter is nearly twice as thick at .162". The handle is also much more generous, offering a nice, full-size grip. The ULB or Scout is great for EDC or a day hike in the woods, but I would prefer to have the full-size Bushcrafter with me if I were caught by surprise and ended up in the woods overnight.

Hope that helps!
Thanks so much! looks like ill be getting the bushcrafter!
"Some call me...Tim?"
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Paraguy wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:15 am
Thanks so much! looks like ill be getting the bushcrafter!
Congrats, it is one **** of a knife!

Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

BRKT BUSHCRAFTER IN HAND.JPG
"Some call me...Tim?"