Fishing

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Ranger_Ike

Re: Fishing

Post by Ranger_Ike »

Kevinim82 wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:25 pm
Ranger_Ike wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:23 pm

Genius! I would never think to use the Spyderco Native in shad imitation colors! A pricy lure no doubt, but **** effective!!! :winking-tongue
Well when they are biting on a color and you run out, you have to improvise!
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

huyfishin wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:30 pm

Nice Oldtown Kayak Ranger!! Here is mine! lol

Thanks! Lol. Been nothing but impressed with it. And the pedals work great for holding place in current.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Ranger_Ike wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:23 pm
I’ve always enjoyed wade fishing, but this past spring I posted a topic asking for input on choosing a kayak. I was thinking about a pedal kayak but had my concerns with low water being an issue. I didn’t want to resurrect an old thread, so I thought I’d just post here.

Ended up getting a pedal kayak and have been enjoying it ever since. I’ve found you can still use the pedals down to about 14” of water. If riffles are coming up, I just lift up on the pedal system and they swing up and out of the way. Then I use the paddle to make it through the low spots. If I happen to run up too shallow and hit rocks the pedal system pops up, so it doesn’t damage anything.

I have no regrets, it has been awesome! I ended up buying 4 more regular kayaks for the family, and we have been enjoying them, taking them out every chance we get.

Spent the day today on a local stream smallmouth fishing, my favorite. Caught a lot of rock bass too, and the occasional catfish and drum, which for a few seconds always get your blood pumping, thinking you just hooked a huge smallie.

I don’t know who first said “you never fish the same river twice”, but it’s amazing how true it is. I love that it’s constantly changing.

Biggest smallie of the day was this 17” towards the end of the trip. There’s nothing like a nice smallie jumping up eye level with you.

EDIT: no fish were harmed in the taking of this picture. The knife was just there to look good. 😆

https://i.postimg.cc/QtK2qQyM/A29-CEF62 ... C1-EEC.jpg
That’s awesome! I’m glad it worked out well for you. Looks like you got a real nice kayak too! What model is that? I’m still in major need of an upgrade but have been considering a small jon boat instead, still undecided.

Kevinim82 wrote: Genius! I would never think to use the Spyderco Native in shad imitation colors! A pricy lure no doubt, but **** effective!!! :winking-tongue
LOL :rofl
-Nick :bug-red
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:48 pm
That’s awesome! I’m glad it worked out well for you. Looks like you got a real nice kayak too! What model is that? I’m still in major need of an upgrade but have been considering a small jon boat instead, still undecided.
It’s the Old Town Sportsman PDL. And it’s the 10’6” version. It’s really stable. In fact, in shallow water I usually end up standing up paddling along so I can see farther. No problem standing up and fishing either.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageThe good part , buddy in Minnesota . ImageBad part , at ER to remove hook .
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:43 am
ImageThe good part , buddy in Minnesota . ImageBad part , at ER to remove hook .
o fml haha I would have just whipped out some cutters and cut the one end and pulled it out!! :woozy
I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Unfortunately it was in too deep . He managed to get one out but the other was so deep thumb had to be cut open then removed . He has a nice scar , he was back out later fishing . Funny part wife caught the Northern , she is really good . Country girl who also barrel races . Dan
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Oof! That ones pretty gnarly! Treble hooks can be really tough to deal with sometimes. At least he caught a nice fish though.

Reminds me of a picture I saw recently -

Bass fishing in the north…
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:50 pm
Oof! That ones pretty gnarly! Treble hooks can be really tough to deal with sometimes. At least he caught a nice fish though.

Reminds me of a picture I saw recently -

Bass fishing in the north…
Hahahaha! That’s great!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

New reel arrived last Friday and my first impressions were - WOW, this is nice!!! Then I got it out on the water and WOW HOLY **** THIS IS INCREDIBLE! It’s the Shimano Metanium XG and it’s definitely the best reel I’ve ever used anyway.

On the rod, this thing feels solid! The differences are immediately noticeable from my other casting reels too. Bait retrieval is the smoothest and quietest I’ve ever felt. The all metal frame and brass gearing make a huge difference from my own observations. It has an MGL spool and it easily casts faster than all of my other reels. So far I am very impressed with this reel.

Drag slipped a bit on the first fish and it spit the bait. Easy fix, the next two fish made into the boat no problem. (Using a Zoom Baits Horny Toad)

Fish #1 at 2 lbs even -

Fish #2 at 2 lbs 4 oz -
Low quality picture because it is after sunset with low light

It is an absolute sin to have the reel paired up with the rod that it’s on but it was the only rod I have available at the moment and I was too impatient to wait any longer to try the reel. :grin-squint

———

Also got a few new lures. A couple little Daiwa Trout Twigs, a Daiwa Pellet lure, and a Daiwa Steez Chiquita frog.

With most of the Trout in my area being stocked trout, I figured this pellet lure might be perfect for those fish. The Trout Twigs have a really awesome action and can most likely be used for more than just trout. I’m just hoping the pickerel around here don’t destroy it before a trout can enjoy it!

Also, hoping I can encourage a few more bites around here with a smaller frog. Sometimes I feel like I’d catch more if I had a smaller frog. I would’ve got a more frog appropriate color but my impulses just get the best of me sometimes! :grin-squint
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Was great to see Spyderco represented at ICAST 2022 in the Spydercbyte Newsletter - https://mailchi.mp/spyderco/spyderco-byte-july-2022

JestersHK

Post by JestersHK »

I'm a newbie here still but just ended a trip out west ending in Estes Park. Highlights were a Yellowstone brookie, a snake river fine spot cutt from the tetons, and some Western slope cutts from a mile hike up to a wild creek near the frying pan
Attachments
Resized_Resized_20220731_121637(2).jpeg
Resized_Screenshot_20220727-162102_Gallery.jpeg
Resized_Resized_20220729_093913.jpeg
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

JestersHK wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:02 pm
I'm a newbie here still but just ended a trip out west ending in Estes Park. Highlights were a Yellowstone brookie, a snake river fine spot cutt from the tetons, and some Western slope cutts from a mile hike up to a wild creek near the frying pan
Hi JestersHK, welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing in this thread.

That sounds like an incredible trip! Fishing trips like that are the biggest reason why I want learn how to fly fish. Those are some impressive and rare fish you caught too. I love the colors on that Brookie and the patterns on the fine spot cutthroat are really cool!
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Beautiful area , I love it there . Welcome to the Forum . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
JestersHK

Post by JestersHK »

Thank you for the welcomes. You should def pick up a fly rod and just go for it. Anyone can fly fish, you just have to take that first step and pick up a rod. I am a trout bum for sure, and try to catch trout in every state i visit if they have them. Also love catching all the different subspecies too, but my real fire is targeting big browns on our MO tailwater lake Taneycomo.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Was testing out one of my new trout lures from Japan the other day, except on some panfish.

Caught a handful of sunfish and bluegill and even got lucky with a few bass. Even catching a new personal best bass on a lure.

The best bluegill of the day

Largemouth on the Daiwa Trout Twig

My most interesting catch of the day and my new personal best… small bass. I’ve caught smaller bass targeting frye on a bare micro hook but this is the smallest bass I’ve ever caught on a lure without sight fishing them.

This one swiped at the lure and got himself in the eye and through the head. Barbless hook made quick work of getting it released.

This one actually got hooked in the mouth though. I caught a third baby bass on the same lure and it was in between those two sizes.

JestersHK

Post by JestersHK »

I'm going to have to go dig some info up on that trout twig... never seen one of those before. You ever fish it on the fly rod and strip it like a bugger?
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

JestersHK wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:38 am
I'm going to have to go dig some info up on that trout twig... never seen one of those before. You ever fish it on the fly rod and strip it like a bugger?
I haven’t tried it on a fly rod yet, just a spinning rod so far. It’s wicked light though, weighs 1.5 grams, and judging by how difficult it was to cast on spinning gear, it would probably work very well on a fly rod. It’s a popular lure with BFS (Bait Finesse System) baitcaster fisherman. That’s how I was made aware of it at least.

I know what a bugger is but I’m honestly not too familiar with all the different fly patterns and techniques yet though, so I can’t help too much in that regard. On the spinning rod though, the trout twig seemed most effective letting it sink to the bottom and twitching it up a foot or two. It’s a really slow sinking lure but has a great worm-like action with short fast movements.
JestersHK

Post by JestersHK »

Cool thanks I'm off to find some. Fast stripping a wooly bugger for bass is almost more fun than catching trout. I got my PB flyrod bass that way a month or so ago. 4.4lbs
Attachments
Resized_Resized_20220602_170734(3).jpeg
JestersHK

Post by JestersHK »

Mushroom you could also try throwing that twig under a weighted bobber, especially if there's any chop or wind on the water, or if you're in a creek let it drift like a san Juan worm fly. I bet they'd tear that up