Fishing

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Fly Fishing Rick

Re: Fishing

Post by Fly Fishing Rick »

Ranger_Ike wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:31 pm
Wow nice brown! Man that game changer looks great! I bet the smallies would love it too.
Thank you! I've only been tying for a couple years but I do my best to take my time and make sure my flies look good. I hadn't really considered them for smallmouth because of their size but I don't see why not.
-Jimmy
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Those flies look great, Rick! Nice trout too. One reason I think I would enjoy fly fishing is because I know I would enjoy tying flies.
-Nick :bug-red
Fly Fishing Rick

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:32 pm
Those flies look great, Rick! Nice trout too. One reason I think I would enjoy fly fishing is because I know I would enjoy tying flies.
Thank you very much! I never expected to like either to be honest but it turns out I love both lol. I used spinning gear for over 20 years before I tried fly fishing and now I don't think I could go back.
-Jimmy
JestersHK

Post by JestersHK »

Love the colors on that brownie. Nice tying skills as well. I learned in much better suited to fishing than tying... I can do it, but it ain't pretty and it's the opposite of relaxing and rewarding for me lol
Fly Fishing Rick

JestersHK wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:20 pm
Love the colors on that brownie. Nice tying skills as well. I learned in much better suited to fishing than tying... I can do it, but it ain't pretty and it's the opposite of relaxing and rewarding for me lol
Thank you! They always get really colorful in the fall and stay that way until into spring. I can't say that it's relaxing or that I especially like the tying itself usually, but I do find it very rewarding which I do like.
-Jimmy
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Been a bummer of an ice fishing season in Massachusetts this year. Eastern Massachusetts had some safe ice around the end of December but I sneezed and missed it… other than that, we haven’t seen any ice at all this season. I’ve driven to central Mass. looking and still couldn’t find any safe ice. Looks like if I want to go ice fishing this season, I will have to drive a couple hours north into Maine or New Hampshire just to find some safe ice.

Anyway, this weekend there was the New England Fishing Expo here in Massachusetts and I went for a few hours yesterday. After not being able to ice fish at all this season and then going to that expo, I just had to get out today to wet a line.

It was unseasonably warm today too so it was a great day for it. Caught a handful of Rainbows on a Thomas Lures Bouyant spoon.

skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

What outfit is that?
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

skeeg11 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:31 am
What outfit is that?
The rod is a 7’6” Light action Shimano Zodias and the reel is a Shimano Nasci 2500 with 10 lb Yo-Zuri Superbraid and a 6lb Berkeley Vanish fluorocarbon leader.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Nice!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Went out for a couple hours today and was able catch a beautiful little rainbow trout before my guides were too frozen to cast!

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

You folks have no idea how blessed you are to be able to fish anytime. In this part of the world it is dangerous. While you are fishing for fish, the crocodiles are fishing for you!

I miss bass, bream, crappie, and catfish fishing. Trout, too, for that matter. Halibut, flounder, redfish, you name it. I miss it terribly. Fishing is the best sport and leisure activity there is next to reading a good book.

I was once a big brother type to a four year old. His dad told his mom "Keep that kid away from me! I wan't nothing to do with him!" Well, you all know what I have to say about that man. Anyway, I bought the boy a small fishing rod and took him over to a pond where I knew there were a lot of bream. I showed him how to cast and let him practice a few times casting and reeling. Then, I put a worm on a hook and let him cast out into the water. It hit and the float immediately went under! He didn't panic. He started reeling in the line with my encouragement. We pulled that little bream out of the water and that boy's eyes looked like halogen headlights they were shining so bright. I cleaned it and his mother cooked it so he had it for lunch. Great day. His first fish.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I’m definitely grateful I don’t have to be concerned about crocodiles while I’m fishing! Some forum members fishing in some southern states such as Florida can probably relate to some degree with concerns of alligators while fishing though.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:19 pm
I’m definitely grateful I don’t have to be concerned about crocodiles while I’m fishing! Some forum members fishing in some southern states such as Florida can probably relate to some degree with concerns of alligators while fishing though.
There are crocodiles in Florida, too. Sometimes in Alabama and Georgia. Alligators are more common, though some might see a croc and think gator. These things get much bigger than a gator and can reach a ton in weight and 20 feet in length. I think this is what the early Spanish explorers were reporting and not alligators. They said there were huge beasts they battled. Many today think they exaggerated the size of the alligator, but I think it was crocodiles they were speaking of. A 20 foot, 2000 pound animal with teeth is no joke.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:30 pm
Mushroom wrote:
There are crocodiles in Florida, too. Sometimes in Alabama and Georgia. Alligators are more common, though some might see a croc and think gator. These things get much bigger than a gator and can reach a ton in weight and 20 feet in length. I think this is what the early Spanish explorers were reporting and not alligators. They said there were huge beasts they battled. Many today think they exaggerated the size of the alligator, but I think it was crocodiles they were speaking of. A 20 foot, 2000 pound animal with teeth is no joke.

I knew there were American Crocodiles in the Everglades but I didn’t think they ranged any further into the US than that. None the less, I’m still glad I don’t have to worry about either crocs or gators here in the Northeast!

The biggest threat we have around here is Great White sharks off of Cape Cod but they’re up here more so for the seals and not the fishermen.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:40 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:30 pm
Mushroom wrote:

I knew there were American Crocodiles in the Everglades but I didn’t think they ranged any further into the US than that. None the less, I’m still glad I don’t have to worry about either crocs or gators here in the Northeast!

The biggest threat we have around here is Great White sharks off of Cape Cod but they’re up here more so for the seals and not the fishermen.
Rare farther north than the Everglades. But sometimes in the summer they can be found farther North. Unlike gators, they can't take even a little cold. They like salt water and brackish water, but not fresh water.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Finally found some safe ice to fish on before winter is over - got skunked! :skull-crossbones

Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I’m just considering my ice fishing season over. Any lake within a reasonable driving distance is thawed. I’d probably have to drive close to Canada to find ice. The two days I got out on the ice were fun, I guess! :grin-squint

Went out fishing for some stockers again today and caught another nice rainbow trout.

For a short time, I tried fishing a small stream for some native Brook Trout too but struck out. I would really love to catch an actual native Eastern Brook Trout.
JestersHK

Post by JestersHK »

Man ice fishing gives me the heeby jeebys... I have very few irrational fears and being on ice like that is one of them.
Beautiful colors on that rainbow. I'm jonsing for a good trout trip, have a weekend coming up in a few weeks with a buddy to go chase some down south.
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

Really nice bow! I need to get my ice fishing gear ready for next season, ie out of storage, cleaned up, restrung, I need to fix my flasher fish finder etc... It is a fun day on the ice when I go.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Thanks guys! This is only my third year ice fishing so I’m still new but I love it so far. I don’t have any electronics yet but I’ve been looking into something like a Vexillar. I hear a lot about Garmin Livescope but I don’t want to make that type of investment just yet, especially since the ice fishing seasons have been so slow around where I live.

I’ve got my ice fishing gear stored away for the next season already. I’m fully in trout fishing mode now. Massachusetts has a great trout stocking program so that’s always more reliable than ice fishing around here. (At least this year.)