Fishing

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Mushroom

Re: Fishing

Post by Mushroom »

Nice haul of white bass Salty!

I use a light action Shimano Zodias spinning rod for as long as my casting season lasts. It’s probably my favorite rod for almost anything in freshwater - trout, bass, bluegill, perch, pickerel, etc. Regardless of the size it’s always a fun catch. Small fish can feel like a big fish and bigger fish can feel like trophies. Landing a real trophy fish on that rod is some of the most fun I have while fishing.

From what I often hear, the only gloom about a G. Loomis is in the wallet and they’re otherwise phenomenal rods. Often propped up as some of the best in the industry.
-Nick :bug-red
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Thanks Nick!… While they’re running,limits are fairly easy…Team Shimano here too…I use the Stradic FL 1000 and a Fenwick Eagle 56UL for whites/crappie/bluegill/trout…when the hybrids show up I’ll switch to the Shimano FJ 2500 and St Croix Triumph rod w/braided line…and bigger still when the stripers show up…mostly use baitcasters for largemouth bass tho, usually a Shimano Curado and a G•Loomis E6X …I need to try the Zodia and yes I love my Ugly Sticks too!!!👊
TTFulltimer

Post by TTFulltimer »

I have had a lot of fun with Daiwa Acculites in the "noodle" rod sort of long light rods. Three foot sharks on a 9' 6" Daiwa Acculite is not just a lot of fun, it is a very efficient way to fight that sort of fish. Brings them in easier than shorter SW Inshore sorts of rods. The constant spring action never gives the fish any pause, and that same spring prevents hook tear outs or line breakages. Seems every time we find a good wad of Spotted sea trout, the taxman shows up.
Just a crotchety old curmudgeon who has seen a thing or two
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Taxman…Good one 👊
TTFulltimer

Post by TTFulltimer »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:02 pm
Taxman…Good one 👊
I stole that from some saltwater fishing show or other. The sharks we encounter near Cedar Key are gray in color. Otherwise there is a second term, "The man in the brown suit" for some other species.
Just a crotchety old curmudgeon who has seen a thing or two
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Ha! I’ve encountered Uncle Sam a time or two…one time outa Venice,La on a really good yellowfin tuna I wrestled w/for 30? minutes or so…took about half of it right at the boat 😳
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:44 pm
Thanks Nick!… While they’re running,limits are fairly easy…Team Shimano here too…I use the Stradic FL 1000 and a Fenwick Eagle 56UL for whites/crappie/bluegill/trout…when the hybrids show up I’ll switch to the Shimano FJ 2500 and St Croix Triumph rod w/braided line…and bigger still when the stripers show up…mostly use baitcasters for largemouth bass tho, usually a Shimano Curado and a G•Loomis E6X …I need to try the Zodia and yes I love my Ugly Sticks too!!!👊
I have a Shimano Stradic FL 3000 and man is that thing good. Currently paired up with my HMG 7ft medium-heavy, it’s my all purpose setup. Daiwa reels are pretty good for the price point, the Fuego LT with the digi-gear is a solid and lightweight reel. It’s actually the reel i plan to use for my lightweight setup, once I know what rod I want.

Also an ugly stik fan, it was my first real rod, the reel that came with it went pretty fast but the rod is still around.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Yo Foe - Awesome all purpose setup…Team Shimano!!! Daiwa makes good stuff,especially for the price…Go ugly or go home!!!🤣…JK…lot of good UL rods out there, just depends on what you want to spend 🎣👊
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I’m almost fully on team Shimano too. Its nothing against Daiwa, I’ve just gravitated more towards Shimano.

I have a Daiwa BG (3000 or 4000, can’t remember) on a Daiwa surf rod but that’s my only experience with Daiwa so far. After using the BG for a bit though, it was easy to understand why it’s so highly recommended.

For Freshwater I have an Abu Garcia spinning combo that I just recently finished setting up and a Lew’s casting combo but everything else is Shimano.

I’m not ashamed to admit that I also like Ugly Stik rods. They’re short money and nearly indestructible. I keep a couple at a summer house on Cape Cod in case of the anomaly that I’m ever down there without my other fishing gear!
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

I grew up using Abu Garcia and Lew’s has stepped up their game recently…never tried a Daiwa BG…don’t have much surf stuff but if I had a Cape Cod summer house I surely would!!! We used to have a crew member that was from there…his name escapes me tho(been a minute)…super nice guy and smart as a whip…anyway he was an incredible athlete - hockey/golf/surfing and a Boston sports NUT…I always thought it was odd that he didn’t really have an accent cause he never said “Pahk the Cah”… but he did talk about Great White sharks and Stripers up there…also said it was beautiful 👊
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Taxman strikes. Still enough fresh fish left, but a good 10-15% tax

Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:36 pm
I grew up using Abu Garcia and Lew’s has stepped up their game recently…never tried a Daiwa BG…don’t have much surf stuff but if I had a Cape Cod summer house I surely would!!! We used to have a crew member that was from there…his name escapes me tho(been a minute)…super nice guy and smart as a whip…anyway he was an incredible athlete - hockey/golf/surfing and a Boston sports NUT…I always thought it was odd that he didn’t really have an accent cause he never said “Pahk the Cah”… but he did talk about Great White sharks and Stripers up there…also said it was beautiful 👊
I’ve been looking into setting up a beach cart to help access some distant beach spots with all my gear for striper fishing. There is some world class striper fishing around the Cape, so I’ll take any advantage I can get!

Compared to some people around here (Boston) I don’t have such a strong accent but anytime I travel outside of New England people will comment on my “accent” so there must be some trace of it.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

In other news, the first official fish of the spring for me was a good one! Caught my first ever Tiger Trout and it was a nice one at that.

Tiger Trout is a hybrid between a Brown trout and an Eastern Brook trout. The state will stock a handful of trout species each year and aside from the rare batches of Golden Rainbow Trout, the Tiger trout are stocked in the lowest numbers, so its often a treat to catch them. My goal now is to catch one of the elusive Golden Rainbows!!!

SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Beautiful Fish!!! Now go get that Golden 👊
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

I saw your other post on “What Spyderco is in your pocket today” and almost posted “Nice Brookie”…glad I saw this…Nice Tiger!!! One time I was w/a friend fishing the Tocco river (N.Ga.) in a canoe years ago (probably the best day of quality trout fishing either of us ever had)…lost count of the 25” fish landed w/browns/bows/brooks all thrown in the mix…we actually saw a couple Goldens but they were really skittish and never even thought about biting…this was long before cell phones and all we had was one of those throw away yellow Polaroids…needless to say who knows where the very few decent shots are now 🤷‍♂️ Hope you get one in your net soon and show us!!! 👊
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Perfect Featherweight fishin’ set-up…if the river isn’t too high and muddy from recent heavy rain we should catch a few white bass and will be back on here w/a pic 🎣🤞
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:49 am

Perfect Featherweight fishin’ set-up…if the river isn’t too high and muddy from recent heavy rain we should catch a few white bass and will be back on here w/a pic 🎣🤞
I love those little bitsy minnows and TN Shad is my favorite color for them too. Nice choice!

How were the river conditions? Were the white bass biting?
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Fishing gear update: New Bike!

Just picked up this Specialized Roll Low Entry to set up as a “Cape Cod Canal Fishing Bike.”

The canal is about 7 miles long with a multi-use service road on each side. Parking along the canal can be difficult to find at times so people don’t always have the luxury of being able to park exactly where they want to fish. People will setup these canal bikes to easily move themselves and all their heavy gear from spot to spot.

It doesn’t look like much right now but I’m planning to mount some front and back racks to carry my tackle bags and a couple rod holders to comfortably carry my 11 ft surf rods. I’ll post another update when it’s completed.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:57 pm
Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:49 am

I love those little bitsy minnows and TN Shad is my favorite color for them too. Nice choice!

How were the river conditions? Were the white bass biting?

River was high, flowing really fast and dingy…and to add to the “IDEAL” conditions the local sand company was dredging that day…still managed to catch a few but kinda blows cause with ideal conditions if you know what you’re doing 15 fish limits can be had in under an hour…it’s literally catching not fishing