Fishing

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
troutinCO

Re: Fishing

Post by troutinCO »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:47 pm
Thanks guys! This is only my third year ice fishing so I’m still new but I love it so far. I don’t have any electronics yet but I’ve been looking into something like a Vexillar. I hear a lot about Garmin Livescope but I don’t want to make that type of investment just yet, especially since the ice fishing seasons have been so slow around where I live.

I’ve got my ice fishing gear stored away for the next season already. I’m fully in trout fishing mode now. Massachusetts has a great trout stocking program so that’s always more reliable than ice fishing around here. (At least this year.)
My flasher finder was a great investment for my fishing on ice. I went with a Vexillar too. I have not tried a camera, but really dont feel a need for one after I got the flasher.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I think a flasher would greatly improve my time out on the ice too. It’s going to have to wait until next year for me though.

In the meantime, the trout bite is picking up! Few more rainbow trout today. One of them was small and slipped through the net before I could get a picture.

-Nick :bug-red
TTFulltimer

Post by TTFulltimer »

Yep I fish, and they call it fishing not catching for good reasons. Only been at it for 78 years. Best small fish, Yellow Perch, the best dang eater there is. Best large fish for me Charlie. Yellowfin Tuna, a hundred pounder will wear you out if you stand up, and they are very good on the table in many forms and fixin's. Marlin MEH big jumps but no hard fight.

The best part is if there is any pond, stream, beach, lake, ocean, you name it, there will be fish you can try to catch. Heck I remember my brother and I catching creek chubs and loving it.
Just a crotchety old curmudgeon who has seen a thing or two
olywa

Post by olywa »

Yellow perch, gutted/headed/scaled then seasoned with a little salt and pepper and cooked in a skillet with a little bacon grease. Heaven on a plate.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

TTFulltimer wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:23 pm
Yep I fish, and they call it fishing not catching for good reasons. Only been at it for 78 years. Best small fish, Yellow Perch, the best dang eater there is. Best large fish for me Charlie. Yellowfin Tuna, a hundred pounder will wear you out if you stand up, and they are very good on the table in many forms and fixin's. Marlin MEH big jumps but no hard fight.

The best part is if there is any pond, stream, beach, lake, ocean, you name it, there will be fish you can try to catch. Heck I remember my brother and I catching creek chubs and loving it.
Yeah I’ve really taken a liking to any catching any type of fish I can! Bass may be my primary target in fresh and salt water but I could have just as good of a time fishing for creek chubs as well! The thrill of the catch is what motivates me.
olywa wrote: Yellow perch, gutted/headed/scaled then seasoned with a little salt and pepper and cooked in a skillet with a little bacon grease. Heaven on a plate.
Sounds like it! I’m constantly being told how good yellow perch are but I’ve still yet to try eating any. I might change that this summer though because luckily there are a ton of lakes in New England with good perch bites.
olywa

Post by olywa »

Good part about perch fishing is that when you find one you find a bunch!
TTFulltimer

Post by TTFulltimer »

olywa wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:53 pm
Good part about perch fishing is that when you find one you find a bunch!
A guide I know on Saginaw Bay in Michigan, has all the latest electronics. He finds fish for his customers with the forward facing sonar then puts a camera down to see if they are walleye or perch. He runs charters for both so he finds what the customers want. Perch school for sure. If you see a bunch of boats in the same area anchored up in waters with perch, find a spot that does not interfere with another boat and drop your lines. The group of boats puts so much bait in the water it causes a sort of feeding frenzy with the perch. I am sure any in surrounding waters try to get in on the free lunch.

I skin and filet all my fish. including perch. Very fussy about the taste.
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

JestersHK

Post by JestersHK »

Brookies, from the color of the meat looks like they've been in that stream or river for a while. What state?

Do you cook skin on? I have always skinned mine before fileting using the banana method
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Nice pepsi cola watch.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

We used to fish for salmon in the rivers in Alaska. It was really exciting during the run. The water would look like it was filled with blood because all of the male salmon had turned red for mating.

I also went out and fished in the ocean. The water is cold, I'm here to tell you! We'd catch bass, red fish, cod, halibut, you name it. Halibut were always the hardest to land because they came up like a paper plate blowing in the wind.

I remember once, I had a good hit on my line. I was fishing off of a pier in Seward at night. As I reeled in whatever it was, something else attacked my catch! A huge tug of war ensued, which I eventually won, but I was really tired. As I reeled in my prize, I saw I had caught a king crab. My hook had gotten it through the shell. Something had eaten half of it as I was reeling it in!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TTFulltimer

Post by TTFulltimer »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:50 am
King Crab
Tell the Deadliest Catch crowd how to really catch Crab.
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

Can’t wait for the season to start! Mainly go for pike, walleye and bass up here. There are some good lakes but they’re kinda far away. There is a stocked lake not too far from here, and I’ve pulled some gnarly pike out of there before.

There’s an outfit for one of those lakes that portages you, packs you into a boat and will clean your fish at the end of the day. Not exactly cheap but the fishing is amazing. It’s quite the trip but me and my buddies hit it up at least once a year. One of the best walleye lakes around. Lots of bass and pike as well! Scenery is amazing and truly a tonic to the soul.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

From my years living in Florida, North Port/Charlotte area piers... :cheap-sunglasses

Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Nice snook, Fugi! Florida is one place I definitely need to try fishing!
TTFulltimer

Post by TTFulltimer »

Nice Snook
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

toxophilus wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:33 am
From my years living in Florida, North Port/Charlotte area piers... :cheap-sunglasses

Nice one!!!👊…I’ve only caught a handful in my time while visiting friends in south Fla., but they eat as good as they fight!!! Season and slot limit is strictly enforced
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

White bass are running some of the rivers here in Ga…super fun out of a kayak and using ultralight…generous limits and tasty😋
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:17 pm

White bass are running some of the rivers here in Ga…super fun out of a kayak and using ultralight…generous limits and tasty😋
I need to get me an ultralight, all I have currently is a Fenwick HMG medium heavy one piece. Great all purpose rod but looking for something a little more….sensitive and exciting.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
TTFulltimer

Post by TTFulltimer »

I love Fenwick rods. St Croix I call Saint Cracks. I have had two both broke on medium sized fish. G Loomis is already spelled correctly Gloom is. Broke casting YIKES. For really nice freshwater glass rods, you cannot beat Eagle Claw. And the ads about not breaking Ugly Stix are pretty much true. My good friend loves the Berkley Cherrywoods for light tackle walleye trolling. There are now hundreds of China rods with who knows what you are getting properties.

Fly rods that I have are all but one handmade. I did buy a Sage when I was in Utah and it is a very good rod.

Heavy saltwater stuff is a whole new game. No longer in that game with my full time travel.