Fishing

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
skeeg11

Re: Fishing

Post by skeeg11 »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 3:59 pm
ImageFriend who has been under quarantine sent me his therapy shot last night .
Yummmmmm! Looks like your friend is a seasoned veteran. What's his weapon of choice for attacking panfish fillets? :winking-tongue
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

All,Ethan told me today was a slip bobber and a crappie jig . He is bringing a Mule custom sheath to me sometime this week and may get more information. Sorry I took so long , he can be hard to contact at times . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

First schoolie of the year! Had about half an hour on Tuesday to try my luck and was actually successful. I was at an estuary that feeds into a herring run so the striped bass tend to follow them in, making it easy to target them.

This is a very small example of what these fish can become!
-Nick :bug-red
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Caught a nice Yellow Perch today. I’d estimate going on about 10-11 inches.

There are some ponds around here that produce some jumbo sized Yellow Perch. They’re actually fairly active in the winter too and that’s when people really seem to catch the big ones around here.

I’ve seen a few YouTube videos of guys in the UK catching some mega sized European Perch in open water and those are some really impressive fish. From what I’ve seen, they look a lot like Yellow Perch but grow considerably larger.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Caught some decent Largemouth Bass today, my biggest of the season so far.

First was two pounds eight ounces and the second was three pounds flat!

huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:34 pm

There are some ponds around here that produce some jumbo sized Yellow Perch. They’re actually fairly active in the winter too and that’s when people really seem to catch the big ones around here.

I’ve seen a few YouTube videos of guys in the UK catching some mega sized European Perch in open water and those are some really impressive fish. From what I’ve seen, they look a lot like Yellow Perch but grow considerably larger.
I would be dropping this fellow into some hot oil haha
I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

huyfishin wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:20 am
Mushroom wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:34 pm

https://i.imgur.com/u2zNN4T.jpg

I would be dropping this fellow into some hot oil haha
I don’t blame you, I haven’t tried myself but I’ve heard they’re good eating.
olywa

Post by olywa »

Yellow perch are one of the best eating freshwater fishes that we have. Yum!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I know I'm crazy. I learned this from an old fisherman. With yellow perch, crappie, bream, etc. I just peal the hide off like a catfish instead of scaling. Then I roll in corn meal or batter, drop into hot oil or on a grill. When done, the meat falls off of the bones. Wonderful!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

olywa wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:53 pm
I hear that often enough that it’s really convincing me to try. Maybe ill try this winter if I can get on a good perch bite.

Doc Dan wrote: I know I'm crazy. I learned this from an old fisherman. With yellow perch, crappie, bream, etc. I just peal the hide off like a catfish instead of scaling. Then I roll in corn meal or batter, drop into hot oil or on a grill. When done, the meat falls off of the bones. Wonderful!
Sounds like a good way to get the most meat off the fish too. Good tip!
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:14 am
olywa wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:53 pm

I hear that often enough that it’s really convincing me to try. Maybe ill try this winter if I can get on a good perch bite.
fry them crispy. even the tails and fins become potato chips
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

huyfishin wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:18 am
I’ll definitely keep that in mind. I’m not much of chef, to put it my kindly, but I’m confident I can manage some fried fish.

Also, your new sig photo is BADASS!!! Very nicely done, I like that a lot!
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:09 pm
huyfishin wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:18 am
I’ll definitely keep that in mind. I’m not much of chef, to put it my kindly, but I’m confident I can manage some fried fish.

Also, your new sig photo is BADASS!!! Very nicely done, I like that a lot!
its not too bad!! fairly simple with perch. hard to mess up cooking it. I find that buying badass kitchen knives motivates me to cook better and also cook more often. (i use a shun knife set at home)

Thank you for the compliment!!
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

It’s bass fishing season here in the US.

I’ve carried the Caribbean with me for the last 2 months. What can I say? Great fishing knife!
Attachments
04BA1EA9-F688-4FC7-96E8-35431D048C12.jpeg
60E6F049-86D4-47E0-9849-4C0403F17ABB.jpeg
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Definitely bass fishing season! They’re my primary target species pretty much all year though. :grin-squint Still I love summer fishing because bass get fairly predictable and fishing can be really good some days.

Recent catch, nothing to write home about in terms of size but it had great colors.

Good knife choice too. I’ve actually been carrying the Caribbean with me on my PFD while fishing a lot lately!

The Manbug Salt lives in the tackle box.
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Nice bass colors!

Someone greater than me once said, “any day fishing is a good day.”

Size means very little except in stories over a fire.

The Caribbean is the fisherman’s knife. I really like the Salt 2 in a wharn blade, but I keep giving those knives away to friends and family.

I’ve converted over to baitcasting, love how I can launch bait with it.

MNOSD 0009
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Oh yeah, I agree with that! I’m happy to just get out there and cast a line.

I do the majority of my freshwater bass fishing with a casting reel now too. I still like to keep a few spinning setups for some lighter finesse techniques but most of my freshwater fishing is done with a baitcaster now. (All of my saltwater setups are spinning setups)

Speaking of baitcasters, I just recently impulse purchased a new one from Japan! :cheap-sunglasses Also bought a few JDM lures that aren’t easily acquired in the US market. I’m looking forward to it and depending on how long shipping takes, I definitely plan to order again. I’ll be sure to post photos when it all arrives.
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

I’ve always enjoyed wade fishing, but this past spring I posted a topic asking for input on choosing a kayak. I was thinking about a pedal kayak but had my concerns with low water being an issue. I didn’t want to resurrect an old thread, so I thought I’d just post here.

Ended up getting a pedal kayak and have been enjoying it ever since. I’ve found you can still use the pedals down to about 14” of water. If riffles are coming up, I just lift up on the pedal system and they swing up and out of the way. Then I use the paddle to make it through the low spots. If I happen to run up too shallow and hit rocks the pedal system pops up, so it doesn’t damage anything.

I have no regrets, it has been awesome! I ended up buying 4 more regular kayaks for the family, and we have been enjoying them, taking them out every chance we get.

Spent the day today on a local stream smallmouth fishing, my favorite. Caught a lot of rock bass too, and the occasional catfish and drum, which for a few seconds always get your blood pumping, thinking you just hooked a huge smallie.

I don’t know who first said “you never fish the same river twice”, but it’s amazing how true it is. I love that it’s constantly changing.

Biggest smallie of the day was this 17” towards the end of the trip. There’s nothing like a nice smallie jumping up eye level with you.

EDIT: no fish were harmed in the taking of this picture. The knife was just there to look good. 😆

Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Ranger_Ike wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:23 pm

Genius! I would never think to use the Spyderco Native in shad imitation colors! A pricy lure no doubt, but **** effective!!! :winking-tongue

MNOSD 0009
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

Ranger_Ike wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:23 pm
I’ve always enjoyed wade fishing, but this past spring I posted a topic asking for input on choosing a kayak. I was thinking about a pedal kayak but had my concerns with low water being an issue. I didn’t want to resurrect an old thread, so I thought I’d just post here.

Ended up getting a pedal kayak and have been enjoying it ever since. I’ve found you can still use the pedals down to about 14” of water. If riffles are coming up, I just lift up on the pedal system and they swing up and out of the way. Then I use the paddle to make it through the low spots. If I happen to run up too shallow and hit rocks the pedal system pops up, so it doesn’t damage anything.

I have no regrets, it has been awesome! I ended up buying 4 more regular kayaks for the family, and we have been enjoying them, taking them out every chance we get.

Spent the day today on a local stream smallmouth fishing, my favorite. Caught a lot of rock bass too, and the occasional catfish and drum, which for a few seconds always get your blood pumping, thinking you just hooked a huge smallie.

I don’t know who first said “you never fish the same river twice”, but it’s amazing how true it is. I love that it’s constantly changing.

Biggest smallie of the day was this 17” towards the end of the trip. There’s nothing like a nice smallie jumping up eye level with you.

EDIT: no fish were harmed in the taking of this picture. The knife was just there to look good. 😆

Nice Oldtown Kayak Ranger!! Here is mine! lol