PC Racing Sims?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
soc_monki

Re: PC Racing Sims?

Post by soc_monki »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 1:13 pm
soc_monki wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 5:53 am
The g29 is the next version, like the g25 was the previous. Very good budget wheels, although I think there are ones like the fanatecs that have better force feedback systems (belt driven), or you can go really high end with direct drive! I'm happy with logitech though. Reliable, affordable, and they have all kinds of mods you can get to make the experience better.

Sometimes it takes a little tweaking of gains and gamma to get the pedals and steering feeling good on assetto. The brakes can be touchy! Should be some tutorials out there on the web. I also tend to drive with my toes in bare feet... Otherwise I overpower the pedals haha! And having an actual clutch and H pattern shifter is so much fun. I remember slamming gears in iRacing...
I considered some of the higher end models and decided I really didn't want to spend that kind of money yet. I'm using a gaming laptop at this point. So I'd upgrade the PC before I buy a better wheel/pedal system. The laptop is working great with pretty much all settings maxed out. So I'm good for now as far as the PC's concerned. I also remembered that I had a good experience with my previous wheel. The price for the G29 was pretty reasonable and it seems to do what I want it to do.

I've now ran several different models of modern F1 cars in rFactor 2, AC, and F1 2021. Lap times are already much better. It's much easier to hit your marks and make corrections with the wheel which is exactly how I remember it when I switched from a controller to a wheel several years ago. I think I can actually be somewhat competitive now. I'm not when I use the gamepad. Which is why I decided to just buy another wheel.

6 hours of Spa and the Miami Grand Prix are this weekend. Spa is one of my favorite tracks. So I'll be running hot laps at Spa this week. I also have the Miami track on rFactor 2. Need to try that one too now that I have the wheel
No need for higher end wheels really. It may help the aliens, but for plebs like me logitech does the job! Heck, even real life racers use logitech (Dale Earnhardt Jr uses a g25! Or did a few years ago).

I really need to set my wheel back up. Just haven't had time to even use it really. My kid likes to play with it though, so maybe I'll get it hooked back up and he can play around. He always plays racing games on my phone, and hes finally learning how the steering works lol! Maybe one of these days I'll get him to use the brakes but so far he's like mama... Full throttle! :winking-tongue

Man Spa is awesome! I really enjoy the Nurburgring as well. I ran so many laps of it over the years...
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

soc_monki wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 2:56 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
soc_monki wrote:
The g29 is the next version, like the g25 was the previous. Very good budget wheels, although I think there are ones like the fanatecs that have better force feedback systems (belt driven), or you can go really high end with direct drive! I'm happy with logitech though. Reliable, affordable, and they have all kinds of mods you can get to make the experience better.

Sometimes it takes a little tweaking of gains and gamma to get the pedals and steering feeling good on assetto. The brakes can be touchy! Should be some tutorials out there on the web. I also tend to drive with my toes in bare feet... Otherwise I overpower the pedals haha! And having an actual clutch and H pattern shifter is so much fun. I remember slamming gears in iRacing...
I considered some of the higher end models and decided I really didn't want to spend that kind of money yet. I'm using a gaming laptop at this point. So I'd upgrade the PC before I buy a better wheel/pedal system. The laptop is working great with pretty much all settings maxed out. So I'm good for now as far as the PC's concerned. I also remembered that I had a good experience with my previous wheel. The price for the G29 was pretty reasonable and it seems to do what I want it to do.

I've now ran several different models of modern F1 cars in rFactor 2, AC, and F1 2021. Lap times are already much better. It's much easier to hit your marks and make corrections with the wheel which is exactly how I remember it when I switched from a controller to a wheel several years ago. I think I can actually be somewhat competitive now. I'm not when I use the gamepad. Which is why I decided to just buy another wheel.

6 hours of Spa and the Miami Grand Prix are this weekend. Spa is one of my favorite tracks. So I'll be running hot laps at Spa this week. I also have the Miami track on rFactor 2. Need to try that one too now that I have the wheel
No need for higher end wheels really. It may help the aliens, but for plebs like me logitech does the job! Heck, even real life racers use logitech (Dale Earnhardt Jr uses a g25! Or did a few years ago).

I really need to set my wheel back up. Just haven't had time to even use it really. My kid likes to play with it though, so maybe I'll get it hooked back up and he can play around. He always plays racing games on my phone, and hes finally learning how the steering works lol! Maybe one of these days I'll get him to use the brakes but so far he's like mama... Full throttle! :winking-tongue

Man Spa is awesome! I really enjoy the Nurburgring as well. I ran so many laps of it over the years...
I've been watching the F1 show on Netflix and they showed one of the younger drivers practicing at home or in a hotel room with a wheel. I can't remember what wheel or if it was hooked up to a PC or game console. I couldn't certainly see why they'd used the sims to learn tracks. The laser-scanned tracks they're using in the sims now are amazing

Our friends have a 4 year old grandson and, like a lot of small boys, he's infatuated with cars. He's takin' a likin' to me and the last time we were visiting he and I spent a couple hours playing Asphalt 9 on my phone (I just put Grid on my phone for him too). A couple days ago we got a text from our friends and they said they had the grandkids over the weekend and at the end of the visit the grandson said he wished I would've come over to play haha. Previously I was telling my friend he would freak out over the racing sims on the PC. Now that I have a wheel he'd probably really freak out. I might be better off getting him started with the Xbox style controller first so I don't have to work the breaks and gas pedal for him 🙂
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 12:39 pm
soc_monki wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 2:56 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
soc_monki wrote:

I've been watching the F1 show on Netflix and they showed one of the younger drivers practicing at home or in a hotel room with a wheel. I can't remember what wheel or if it was hooked up to a PC or game console. I couldn't certainly see why they'd used the sims to learn tracks. The laser-scanned tracks they're using in the sims now are amazing

Our friends have a 4 year old grandson and, like a lot of small boys, he's infatuated with cars. He's takin' a likin' to me and the last time we were visiting he and I spent a couple hours playing Asphalt 9 on my phone (I just put Grid on my phone for him too). A couple days ago we got a text from our friends and they said they had the grandkids over the weekend and at the end of the visit the grandson said he wished I would've come over to play haha. Previously I was telling my friend he would freak out over the racing sims on the PC. Now that I have a wheel he'd probably really freak out. I might be better off getting him started with the Xbox style controller first so I don't have to work the breaks and gas pedal for him 🙂
The teams have their own multimillion dollar Sims, but I'm pretty sure all the drivers use various pc Sims (and now console, since they are getting very, very powerful) to learn tracks. Even if tracks aren't exact down to the inch they are still helpful in learning the layout. That saves valuable time and money!

As for kids... My 5 year old loves cars and he steals my phone all the time and plays various racing games on it. He's finally started learning steering, and maybe one of these days I can get him to learn what the brakes are! Still, he has fun and he likes to take pictures in the games, so my phone has a ton of them lol!

He's got stacks of hot wheels, Disney Cars, and various other 4 wheel toys. Even have a slot car track and he's wide open on it too, laughs so much when his car leaves the track. Great fun!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

soc_monki wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 3:12 am
....Even if tracks aren't exact down to the inch they are still helpful in learning the layout....
I have two versions of the Miami Autodrome that they raced at yesterday. The one I have for rFactor 2 is pretty good but I noticed there's a few track details that are different. The version I have for Assetto Corsa is a mod a guy did to update the track. He did a excellent job and it looks really close to the real thing

I ran about 30 laps last night. I finally got the car dialed in and learned the track well enough to turn in a respectable time of 130.499

https://mega.nz/file/8AxnSL7T#5OJRVmGLS ... laN5I6qbns

https://mega.nz/file/MNgxRZRY#NCEleJefE ... izTjvfTQv8

I think it's incredible how realistic it is. Like the real thing you really have to push it to get good lap times.

WEC raced at Spa on Saturday. Of course I had to do some laps in the Toyota Hybrid that won the race...

https://mega.nz/file/MVIRgD7Z#E-8t5vAsx ... SsBMlIqLdQ

https://mega.nz/file/kJJQQAjT#UgWzGSTWG ... DPTg9hF194
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

It turns out my Amazon Prime account gets me access to a very limited number of games on their gaming platform Luna. I use Firesticks on all my TVs and I saw a banner ad notifying me of the fact (of course). I've seen ads for Luna before but I think this is new. I assume they give you access to certain games for just long enough to get you hooked and then change which games are available. I'm not interested in doing the Luna thing (if anything I'd do Xbox Game Pass) but what caught my attention was that the motorcycle game Ride 4 was one of the freebie games. So I paired my bluetooth game controller with my TV and gave it a try. It was really cool but also really hard. I couldn't even get around the first track without crashing. I think it's hilarious how the rider's body flops around when you crash. I'm currently so involved with the car racing games that I'll probably won't mess around with it much but it looks like another form of racing that could get you hooked in a hurry