Show your Bugs and Critters

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Manixguy@1994

Re: Show your Bugs and Critters

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

bjz wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:53 pm
I like this picture ! What is it a Newt ? Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
bjz

Post by bjz »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:03 am
bjz wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:53 pm
I like this picture ! What is it a Newt ? Dan
Rough-skinned newt
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Thank you ! I don’t know much about them , we do not have them in my area . Dan
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:02 am
Naperville wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:08 pm
If you have dishes and fountains set out for birds, pick them up, empty and clean them with bleach. You may be adding to birds with Bird Flu.
IDNR is asking not to use feeders and baths until May 31 . I haven’t seen any dead birds in my area . Hummingbirds are back as of yesterday and had a Grosbeak in yard last two days . Dan
I don't get out much, but when I have, I have not seen any dead birds or geese. We have a lot of both here usually, and it seems like the numbers are a bit low. I have seen geese waddling around looking for something to eat. There used to be thousands of them 1/2 mile away, but the fools built homes on the farm they used to get corn from, and now the geese go elsewhere.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
James Y

Post by James Y »

Last year, I found a dead crow under a tree in my backyard, no obvious cause of death. I called animal control to come get it, but they weren't going to. So I sprayed the carcass with Raid, put it in a Glad trash bag, and put it into the trash bin.

Not sure why I shared that...🤪

Jim
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

James Y wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:46 pm
Last year, I found a dead crow under a tree in my backyard, no obvious cause of death. I called animal control to come get it, but they weren't going to. So I sprayed the carcass with Raid, put it in a Glad trash bag, and put it into the trash bin.

Jim
At least you didn’t eat Crow ! Sorry I need to stop my puns . Dan
Henry David Thoreau
James Y

Post by James Y »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:54 pm
James Y wrote:

Jim

😅

Jim
bjz

Post by bjz »

James Y wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:18 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:54 pm
James Y wrote:

Jim

😅

Jim
I first time through I read this quickly and read COW, not crow…
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

A snake swam up to our campsite a few years ago with a fish in its mouth. My wife thought it was awesome...I was terrified and left, she actually took this picture hahah. I DO NOT do snakes.

15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:26 pm
A snake swam up to our campsite a few years ago with a fish in its mouth. My wife thought it was awesome...I was terrified and left, she actually took this picture hahah. I DO NOT do snakes.

That is an awesome picture. And pretty rare to see in person.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I may have added too many filters, but was trying to make the snake pop out of the water a bit more.

We were sitting in our lawn chairs by the water, listening to music and having drinks watching the kid rub 2 sticks together thinking she was going to start a fire and all the sudden I saw movement in the water. My wife looks at me and says, I'm pretty sure that's a snake. It came closer and closer, once I realized what it was and it was about 10 feet from us I got up and went back to the picnic table haha! She said it ate that fish, sat there for a minute and then swam back out. Pretty cool I guess, but still gives me the chills just thinking about it. The fact she was this close to that thing :astonished

I was much more timid in the kayak after that!

-Rick
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:

Your wife is the Ultimate Babe !
Henry David Thoreau
James Y

Post by James Y »

TkoK83Spy wrote:

That is an awesome pic!

Jim
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:50 pm
I may have added too many filters, but was trying to make the snake pop out of the water a bit more.

We were sitting in our lawn chairs by the water, listening to music and having drinks watching the kid rub 2 sticks together thinking she was going to start a fire and all the sudden I saw movement in the water. My wife looks at me and says, I'm pretty sure that's a snake. It came closer and closer, once I realized what it was and it was about 10 feet from us I got up and went back to the picnic table haha! She said it ate that fish, sat there for a minute and then swam back out. Pretty cool I guess, but still gives me the chills just thinking about it. The fact she was this close to that thing :astonished

Looks like it is eating something similar to a walking catfish.

I posted some closer shots on page one, but if you ever need some encouragement on catching them, just let me know. I am here for you. This one was about 4-5ft long. I caught it so the kids at camp could touch it.

- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JSumm wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:42 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Looks like it is eating something similar to a walking catfish.

I posted some closer shots on page one, but if you ever need some encouragement on catching them, just let me know. I am here for you. This one was about 4-5ft long. I caught it so the kids at camp could touch it.

I saw a pair of Walking. At fish many years ago when I was heavy into Aquariums . There was a premier fish shop run by a couple in Bloomington that was run only by word of mouth . I got to be friends with them and they took me to a back room where they bred fish and some oddities . On a counter they had a pair of the Walking Catfish , I had read about them and knew they were invasive . They told me they were tracked by Feds and were told they could keep them but were forbidden to sell or gift them to anyone . Interesting fish but bad news . Dan
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:10 pm
Growing up in Florida they were so bad in our family pond that I would not release them after catching.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JSumm wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:13 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:10 pm
Growing up in Florida they were so bad in our family pond that I would not release them after catching.
With their auxiliary air bladder they can go anywhere . Poison a pond they hop out and search for another body of water .
Henry David Thoreau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:

Don’t feel bad , I have a phobia with Rats .
Henry David Thoreau
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Bug with a bug!

-Rick
James Y

Post by James Y »

No photo, but a story that's a little gross. One day, maybe about a year ago, I was out front trimming the bird of paradise plant, when I kept stepping on and off something that felt like a rubbery pit or berry in the grass. I didn't think much of it, and kept thinking it's probably some plant matter. At one point I looked down, and it was a rat's head. Where was the rest of it? I then looked around. I spotted its headless body and semi-dried blood in the street. I have no idea what got it. A cat? The rat was a big one. Do cats kill rats that big? Had a hawk or an owl gotten it? The body hadn't been there a few hours earlier.

Anyway, I bagged the head and the body, sealed it, then took the bag down the alley and tossed it in someone else's trash receptacle several houses down. I hadn't wanted it sitting in my own trash receptacle. I'm a bit squeamish of rats (and cockroaches).

😲

Jim