Show your Bugs and Critters

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
RustyIron

Re: Show your Bugs and Critters

Post by RustyIron »

SPYDIE! SPYDIE! SPYDIE!

Love is in the air, and the males are out looking for the ladies.
It was unlikely he was going to get any action sitting where he was,
so I helped him along.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t9gpigqbtzj72 ... r.mov?dl=0

This on is probably a male, because the females tend to stay in their webs. Their mating season lasts until the end of October… so this guy better make his move if he’s going to get any spidie poon in 2022. The females can live up to 25 years. The males, on the other hand, generally live for about eight years. Their short lifespan can be attributed to napping in the middle of the trail, or by lingering too long in the web after the lady spider is finished with him.

Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Only in California.

I've relocated turtles and snakes out of harm's way
but spiders are hard to empathize with.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Was down in New Jersey this weekend and once I stepped out of the car, within three seconds of being outside the car, one of these invasive Spotted Lantern flies flew into me and landed on the car next to me.

-Nick :bug-red
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Wow! Looks like someone pinched it and left fingerprints.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Another Yellow Garden Spider
finishing off a black wasp.

1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
advan

Post by advan »

Hi guys, I used to keep and breed tarantulas and also was(still am) into photography. A lot of my stuff is on flickr.

Adult female Phidippus princeps jumping spider found in Minneapolis, MN.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/76845739@N03/ If you're interested! -Chad
advan

Post by advan »

RustyIron wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:50 pm

SPYDIE! SPYDIE! SPYDIE!

Love is in the air, and the males are out looking for the ladies.
It was unlikely he was going to get any action sitting where he was,
so I helped him along.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t9gpigqbtzj72 ... r.mov?dl=0

This on is probably a male, because the females tend to stay in their webs. Their mating season lasts until the end of October… so this guy better make his move if he’s going to get any spidie poon in 2022. The females can live up to 25 years. The males, on the other hand, generally live for about eight years. Their short lifespan can be attributed to napping in the middle of the trail, or by lingering too long in the web after the lady spider is finished with him.

Hi Rusty, that is a mature male Aphonopelma. It takes males about 8-15 years to mature and finally leave their burrow to look for ladies. Aphonopelma are all burrowers and females can live up to 40 years. They do not use webs. They will line their burrows with webbing for structure and then during they day web off the entrance. Aphonopelma are the only genus of tarantula we have in the US. We have at least 30 species here with more being found and described. I have travelled to the SW to find and photograph different species. It's a fun hunt, not to mention all the other cool critters you find a long the way. Here's a photo of an adult female Aphonopelma chalcodes burrow lined with spiderlings. She was found in Oro Valley, AZ right outside of Tucson.

Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

advan wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:12 am
Hi guys, I used to keep and breed tarantulas and also was(still am) into photography. A lot of my stuff is on flickr.

Adult female Phidippus princeps jumping spider found in Minneapolis, MN.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/76845739@N03/ If you're interested! -Chad
Wow great shot ! MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

I think the bar has just been raised.
Welcome to the Spyderco forum, advan.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Great photos Advan! I would absolutely love to start experimenting with macro photography. It’s a whole new world of detail!

Excited for any other photos you have to share!
-Nick :bug-red
advan

Post by advan »

Thanks guys!
Mushroom wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:13 am
Great photos Advan! I would absolutely love to start experimenting with macro photography. It’s a whole new world of detail!

Excited for any other photos you have to share!
Macro is a lot of fun! You can find so many subjects right in your yard or anywhere. It's hard to pick what else to share. I have so many photos. :zany I have thought about busting out my camera to get nice shots of my knives but haven't got around to it.

Hogna sp. wolf spider from Oro Valley, AZ w/DLS(diagonal leg span) of 1/2".
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Who knew spiders have so much... personality.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

advan wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:31 am

Hi Rusty, that is a mature male Aphonopelma. It takes males about 8-15 years to mature and finally leave their burrow to look for ladies. Aphonopelma are all burrowers and females can live up to 40 years.
Daaaaaang... it seems like you know a thing or two about spiders.

All I know is that they're delicate, and walking around in the middle of the trail isn't a good life-choice for them. I don't know exactly how to pick them up, so I just nudge them onto my hand and move them that way. I figure that as long as they're not striking a defensive posture, then they'll probably not bite me, and I'll probably live.

Your pictures are great, especially the little babies.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

advan wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:31 am
I’ve seen that movie!

“Goodbye, friend of Hagrid.”
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

Saw a few of these little millipedes going across the trail I was on yesterday.
millipede.jpg
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

A tiny Spiny Backed Orb Weaver
that made the mistake of web slinging on my front porch.
I'm generally tolerant of arachnids but these have a painful sting.

Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Mad Mac wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:25 am
A tiny Spiny Backed Orb Weaver
that made the mistake of web slinging on my front porch.
I'm generally tolerant of arachnids but these have a painful sting.

I used to gather these guys up and tote them around in my hand as a kid. I thought they were really cool! I never got stung, though one did bite me. Had to pull him off. After that I quit carrying them around.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageImageGot into 70 degree weather . Shot these moths coming into house . Dan
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Corn Earworm Moth is the green one.
Can't get a reading on the second one.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Mad Mac wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:17 pm
Corn Earworm Moth is the green one.
Can't get a reading on the second one.
Thanks Mac ! Working in back was surprised by a Tree Frog while raking , getting out Deer feeder box this weekend . Dan
Henry David Thoreau