Show your Bugs and Critters

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Woodpuppy

Re: Show your Bugs and Critters

Post by Woodpuppy »

Wow I couldn’t believe a squirrel did that to a beehive, then I finally figured out they were big sunflower heads!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Speaking of bees nest, I spotted a yellow jacket nest yesterday while I was out playing disc golf. It’s a big one, I’d love to remove it and preserve it.

Also caught a pic of a little Red Squirrel that was chirping me and trying to distract me during my driving throw…

And a quick photo of a Pileated Woodpecker from the same day. They’re beautiful birds and fun to watch!

-Nick :bug-red
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

Going through older pics.. Here is a young elk:
BABYELK.JPG
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

troutinCO wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:28 am
BABYELK.JPG
Nice looking ! Do you see them very often ? Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:50 am
troutinCO wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:28 am
BABYELK.JPG
Nice looking ! Do you see them very often ? Dan
There are places that you can go that are almost a guarantee you will. I'm usually finding them randomly though.
elk.JPG
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

Moose in Colorado had always been just a rumor to me. Then I was out wandering and ran into 2 of them! When I first saw them I thought they were elk, they were in the trees and hard to see. I stopped to watch, grabbed my binoculars and realized they were moose and in the wild! So camera came out and I got a few good pics, this one is my favorite because they were both looking at me.
moose-rs.jpg
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

troutinCO wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:52 am
Moose in Colorado had always been just a rumor to me. Then I was out wandering and ran into 2 of them! When I first saw them I thought they were elk, they were in the trees and hard to see. I stopped to watch, grabbed my binoculars and realized they were moose and in the wild! So camera came out and I got a few good pics, this one is my favorite because they were both looking at me.
moose-rs.jpg
Very nice ! I’m hoping my brother-in-law will send some pictures of Bison in Alaska . They are very difficult to get a shot , they don’t have same habits as Bison in lower 48 .
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:58 am
troutinCO wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:52 am
moose-rs.jpg
Very nice ! I’m hoping my brother-in-law will send some pictures of Bison in Alaska . They are very difficult to get a shot , they don’t have same habits as Bison in lower 48 .
Bison that act like Bison and not cows would be really neat!
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

Here is my bison shot where they were not being cows. Cool running bison! In deep snow during winter, awesome!
bisonrunning.JPG
Why where they running? Because the food truck just pulled into their pen and they went running to it, just like cows do...
bisoncows.JPG
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageToday in Wasilla Alaska , sister’s front yard . Dan
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Mama not happy.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

troutinCO wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:15 pm
Here is my bison shot where they were not being cows. Cool running bison! In deep snow during winter, awesome!
bisonrunning.JPG

Why where they running? Because the food truck just pulled into their pen and they went running to it, just like cows do...
bisoncows.JPG
Wow . The Bison I was referring to in Alaska are locally called Woods Bison . There were brought up from lower 48 to replenish the Bison hunted out many years ago . They have a very limited hunting season to control the herd and is considered the most coveted hunting tag in Alaska . There is a yearly lottery if you are selected you must participate in two classes to learn to be able to sex the Bison because tags can be male or female and very difficult to distinguish gender . Brother-in-law has filled two tags using a custom made Sharps 45-70 created specifically for his arm length. Hunt of a lifetime . They had to purchase extra freezers to hold all the meat from the harvest . ;) Dan
Henry David Thoreau
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:17 am
troutinCO wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:15 pm
bisonrunning.JPG

bisoncows.JPG
Wow . The Bison I was referring to in Alaska are locally called Woods Bison . There were brought up from lower 48 to replenish the Bison hunted out many years ago . They have a very limited hunting season to control the herd and is considered the most coveted hunting tag in Alaska . There is a yearly lottery if you are selected you must participate in two classes to learn to be able to sex the Bison because tags can be male or female and very difficult to distinguish gender . Brother-in-law has filled two tags using a custom made Sharps 45-70 created specifically for his arm length. Hunt of a lifetime . They had to purchase extra freezers to hold all the meat from the harvest . ;) Dan
Awesome! I'm betting those bison are more wild than domestic like most herds in the lower 48 then? They would be cool to see and watch. And have a burger made from them. Mmmmmmmmm!
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

They are very skittish according to Mark . Possibly due to the Brown /Grizzly population which is healthy in that area . Mmmmmmm is right on ! Bison is good with me , actually just about any wild game . Illinois Whitetail is the finest deer you can eat . They practically live in corn fields once they get tall and then skip over to bean fields to snack . Our Turkey population is very healthy now so natural food sources are tough competition .
Henry David Thoreau
attila

Post by attila »

3 mantids I found while mowing yesterday:
F0D3B723-3603-4EF3-9416-3206AFA34903.jpeg
5A1FCEB8-90A2-4046-A686-724346C5F61B.jpeg
DA9BB41C-30E9-4EF9-B3BE-3189ABB77B48.jpeg
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

Awesome! I love how varied they can be in even a small area.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Great Mantis pics ! Side note : Our last sighting of a Hummingbird was yesterday. We are down to one feeder for stragglers. Wife is sad 😞.
Henry David Thoreau
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

Yea I haven't seen or heard any hummingbirds in a while here.
Saw this guy yesterday:
amerbirdhopper-rs.jpg
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Two-Striped Shorthorn Grasshopper according to Seek app.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

The girls saw another Hummingbird sighting this morning. Definitely a record for us . Temps have been just above freezing. Dan
Henry David Thoreau