Show your Bugs and Critters

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Manixguy@1994

Re: Show your Bugs and Critters

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Mad Mac wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:10 pm
Seek says American Bullfrog.
Thanks Mac ! I thought so . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

A plateau striped whiptail seen while hiking in Arches:
lizard.JPG
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

We had lizards like that and horn toads here.
Fire ants did a number on them as well as quail and even armadillos.
Armadillos are making a bit of comeback but not the lizards, horn toad or quail.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

Mad Mac wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:43 pm
Armadillos are making a bit of comeback but not the lizards, horn toad or quail.
I'm a desert rat, I grew up in Midland, Tx.... We had horny toads(as I called them) and these lizards too all over back then in town.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Mad Mac wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:43 pm
Hi Mac , so want happens the Fire Ants invade the nests , attack the adults or both ? I am clueless about them but they sound devastating to the ecology of your area . Any way to wipe out the Fire Ants or are they too well established ? Dan
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Anything that could wipe out fire ants would be even worse for the native environment. That doesn’t mean some fool won’t try something… we’ve all seen that sci-fi movie.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:27 pm
Anything that could wipe out fire ants would be even worse for the native environment. That doesn’t mean some fool won’t try something… we’ve all seen that sci-fi movie.
Gotcha ! So any insecticide used would have a negative impact on the environment. I once read after WW2 when they tested nuclear bobbed at Bikini Atoll after all the blasts the only thing living there were Rats and Cockroaches. Thanks Woodpuppy! Dan
Henry David Thoreau
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:50 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:27 pm
Gotcha ! So any insecticide used would have a negative impact on the environment. I once read after WW2 when they tested nuclear bobbed at Bikini Atoll after all the blasts the only thing living there were Rats and Cockroaches. Thanks Woodpuppy! Dan
Oh, I was referring to when people release exotic predators into an area to eat undesirable thing 1, but they end up eating all the native stuff instead. One of the things that works on ants is “diatomaceous earth” which consists of itty bitty silica spines that work their way into the joints of the ants and kill them. Treat individual hills by sprinkling near and around the hill.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Thanks for clarifying for me . Sounds like some good stuff . Dan
Henry David Thoreau
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

This 1988 article in Texas Monthly reports what we were up against.
The situation is better now because of products like Amdro,
a bait that can be sprinkled on the mounds.
https://www.texasmonthly.com/travel/fir ... from-****/

But it was too late to save some native species that were wiped out,
like the horn toad and quail.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Wow thanks for sharing that. It was a great read. Apparently we’ve had no further success!
Makunochimaster

Post by Makunochimaster »

Araneus diadematus vs Ambitious colorados

Native 5 cpm-s110v G10. Native 5 cpm-s110v frn.
Lil' Native MB cpm-s30v. Dragonfly 2 zdp-189.
Delica 4 cts-204p limited. Cricket Nishijin blk vg10.
Urban n690co. Persistence s35vn lightweight.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

From today's ride in the hills.

Bee n' Gumhead
IMG_7951.jpeg

Tarantula
IMG_7981.jpeg

Fiery Skipper
IMG_7998.jpeg

Video of my little friend

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gv8bxfgb602ge ... a.MOV?dl=0
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I thought the dwindling of their numbers last year meant they were gone, but nooooo. The Joro spiders are back and all over the frickin place. You can't look at a shrub or tree and not find 10 or 50 of these guys. They are huge there webs are even huger. God forbid you do the unthinkable and walk through one of their webs. They are very strong. Feels like fishing line just much thinner.

Last edited by JSumm on Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

We ran into some wet cows on the road up on La Sal today.
cows.JPG
Lucky #13
lucky13.JPG
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

We have some open range in Texas
but it is separated with a fence and cattle guard
and a sign that says Watch for Livestock.
The responsibility lies with the driver.

If a driver sees loose cattle on the road anywhere else,
they are supposed to call the county sheriff.
The responsibility lies with the owner of the livestock
to remove the livestock from the road.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Compliments to everyone these recent pictures have been outstanding ! I should taken some Hummingbird shots last night with my wife but got so engrossed watching the little characters I neglected taking pictures. They are juicing up big time for the migration South they won’t be here much longer .
Henry David Thoreau
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:22 pm
I thought the dwindling of their numbers last year meant they were gone, but nooooo. The Joro spiders are back and all over the frickin place. You can't look at a shrub or tree and not find 10 or 50 of these guys. They are huge there webs are even huger. God forbid you do the unthinkable and walk through one of their webs. They are very strong. Feels like fishing line just much thinner.

Looks like a target practice opportunity with .22lr rat shot.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:10 am
Looks like a target practice opportunity with .22lr rat shot.
That would be fun. I typically leave spiders alone due their service to society in eliminating some annoying insects, but these things are out of control.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

RustyIron wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:27 pm

From today's ride in the hills.

Bee n' Gumhead

IMG_7951.jpeg

Tarantula

IMG_7981.jpeg

Fiery Skipper