Show your collections!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
The Meat man

Re: Show your collections!

Post by The Meat man »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:53 am
ImageImageThis coin has perplexed me for years , no date ? Private mint ? I’m clueless . Dan
Looks like a privately minted silver round (unofficial bullion coin) minted with the Peace Dollar design.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Thank you , I did some minor checking after posting. I found same info . My wife found it in a gravel driveway several years ago by an old house .
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:34 am
Thank you , I did some minor checking after posting. I found same info . My wife found it in a gravel driveway several years ago by an old house .
Well that's pretty cool!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Here is a British coin from my collection.

This one is interesting. In the early 1800's, the British province of Nova Scotia was in need of coinage, but they were denied permission to mint their own. So, they had copper "tokens" minted instead, to fill the need. It was abiding by the letter if not the spirit of the law.
In 1848, Nova Scotia became the first of all British provinces to be granted self-rule. This gave them - finally - the authority to mint their own coinage. However, it remained several years before the composition and weight of the tokens were brought into official standards, so until then the copper coins were still called "tokens", rather than cents or pennies.

This particular coin is often praised as one of the most beautiful of all North American coins. The portrait of Queen Victoria is in wonderful style, and the reverse design is also skillfully executed with a nice sense of balance and proportion. The nickname "Mayflower Token" is derived from the reverse design featuring a mayflower plant.

- Connor

Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:44 pm
Here is a British coin from my collection.

This one is interesting. In the early 1800's, the British province of Nova Scotia was in need of coinage, but they were denied permission to mint their own. So, they had copper "tokens" minted instead, to fill the need. It was abiding by the letter if not the spirit of the law.
In 1848, Nova Scotia became the first of all British provinces to be granted self-rule. This gave them - finally - the authority to mint their own coinage. However, it remained several years before the composition and weight of the tokens were brought into official standards, so until then the copper coins were still called "tokens", rather than cents or pennies.

This particular coin is often praised as one of the most beautiful of all North American coins. The portrait of Queen Victoria is in wonderful style, and the reverse design is also skillfully executed with a nice sense of balance and proportion. The nickname "Mayflower Token" is derived from the reverse design featuring a mayflower plant.

Beautiful coin , the reverse side is so stunning for a penny . Thanks Connor ! Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau