Show your collections!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
The Meat man

Show your collections!

Post by The Meat man »

Good Morning everyone!

Probably a lot of us collect things other than knives. I, for instance, have long had an interest in coin collecting. I was introduced to this hobby by my dad, who also collects coins. My collection never grew beyond a few Whitman books of wheat pennies, a handful of silver quarters and dimes, and a couple Indian head pennies, but it was a lot of fun.

Recently, I've focused on collecting ancient coins, especially ancient Roman coins. There is endless variety here, and they are surprisingly accessible even for one with limited funds. The historical aspect is what fascinates me the most though.

Here's my newest addition. It's a heavy silver coin, called a tetradrachm, minted in Antioch, Syria, in 2 BC, under Augustus. The obverse features a beautiful portrait of the first Roman emperor, with the Greek form of "Augustus", the reverse shows the god Tyche of Antioch seated right on rocks - holding curving palm branch - at her feet river god Orontes swimming.

I love the detail and toning of this coin. An Augustus portrait this nice, on such a large silver coin is extremely rare. It's definitely one of the centerpieces of my small collection!

So, what all do you guys collect besides knives? Coins, stamps, bird's eggs, sports cards, bottle caps, antiques, all of the above? ;) Whatever it might be, tell us about it! Let's see some pictures!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
bearfacedkiller

Re: Show your collections!

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Vehicles that don’t run. ;) Gonna try to get back to actually working on projects this year.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

The Meat man wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:33 am
Good Morning everyone!

Probably a lot of us collect things other than knives. I, for instance, have long had an interest in coin collecting. I was introduced to this hobby by my dad, who also collects coins. My collection never grew beyond a few Whitman books of wheat pennies, a handful of silver quarters and dimes, and a couple Indian head pennies, but it was a lot of fun.

Recently, I've focused on collecting ancient coins, especially ancient Roman coins. There is endless variety here, and they are surprisingly accessible even for one with limited funds. The historical aspect is what fascinates me the most though.

Here's my newest addition. It's a heavy silver coin, called a tetradrachm, minted in Antioch, Syria, in 2 BC, under Augustus. The obverse features a beautiful portrait of the first Roman emperor, with the Greek form of "Augustus", the reverse shows the god Tyche of Antioch seated right on rocks - holding curving palm branch - at her feet river god Orontes swimming.

I love the detail and toning of this coin. An Augustus portrait this nice, on such a large silver coin is extremely rare. It's definitely one of the centerpieces of my small collection!

So, what all do you guys collect besides knives? Coins, stamps, bird's eggs, sports cards, bottle caps, antiques, all of the above? ;) Whatever it might be, tell us about it! Let's see some pictures!

Congratulations!

That's a superb coin and is amazing how well that passed thru the ripples of time.
You're holding ancient history in your hands. Amazing!!!

One way or another I end up collecting different things.

Tried to collect women but that didn't go as planned, once you have two in your collection they don't go along well and you have to let go at least one, usually the one you kept the most in your collection.

I have a bluray collection but in the end I started buying external hard drives, that's another collection.

I have a few consoles and a games collection.
I have less and less spare time available and realized I'm never gonna end up playing all these games but still keeping them. At least I slowed buying.

Have a tendency not to sell old hardware so I ended up having an old PC parts collection.

Headphones and headphone amps collection.

Watches I a have quite a few more than I need.

Few pry-bars and pocket tools.

Can't collect guns over here, I would probably own an arsenal.

There must be something about me gathering all this stuff :grimace
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Does the pile of junk in my garage count as a collection?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:05 am
Vehicles that don’t run. ;) Gonna try to get back to actually working on projects this year.
I've got one of those too but I don't think I'd call it a collection. :winking-tongue
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Gsg9 wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:42 am
The Meat man wrote:
Good Morning everyone!

[img]https://i.imgur.com/vBJKCfw.jpg[/img
[img]https://i.imgur.com/1zUiQKD.jpg[/img

Congratulations!

That's a superb coin and is amazing how well that passed thru the ripples of time.
You're holding ancient history in your hands. Amazing!!!

One way or another I end up collecting different things.

Tried to collect women but that didn't go as planned, once you have two in your collection they don't go along well and you have to let go at least one, usually the one you kept the most in your collection.

I have a bluray collection but in the end I started buying external hard drives, that's another collection.

I have a few consoles and a games collection.
I have less and less spare time available and realized I'm never gonna end up playing all these games but still keeping them. At least I slowed buying.

Have a tendency not to sell old hardware so I ended up having an old PC parts collection.

Headphones and headphone amps collection.

Watches I a have quite a few more than I need.

Few pry-bars and pocket tools.

Can't collect guns over here, I would probably own an arsenal.

There must be something about me gathering all this stuff :grimace
Do you collect older games such as Nintendo or Atari ?

Too bad about the guns. I have a bunch. It's been way too long since I've had fun shooting with them though. We've got roads and neighbors too close around to be able to do much safe shooting.
- Connor

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:11 am
Does the pile of junk in my garage count as a collection?
Uh...Maybe? :thinking :winking-tongue
- Connor

Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I used to be really into collecting Field Notes notebooks, for a couple years, but things started getting weird and I have since stopped collecting them entirely. Also, buying far outpaced the using, so I decided that was enough. I’ll still buy an interesting pack every now and then but it’s rare compared to what I once used to buy.

This is about a quarter of the collection -

———

These days Spyderco knives are the only thing I collect. To the point that I don’t even care to buy other brand knives anymore.

If I didn’t collect Spyderco I probably wouldn’t collect anything. Although, most people would look at my fishing equipment and think I collect fishing gear but that’s not a collection, I needed all that stuff! :winking-tongue
-Nick :bug-red
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Star Wars vehicle and figures from the mid 1990's. Many are still in their original packaging. I've also got A LOT of basketball/football/baseball cards from the 1980's-1990's (most probably not worth much)

Though I do have a Derek Jeter rookie card :grin-big eyes
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

The Meat man wrote:
Good Morning everyone!

Fantastic coin! We used to collect stamps and coins as kids.

Right now I collect books on prepping and prepper adjacent subjects:
books on combat, warfare, canning, hunting, sniping and long range shooting, homesteading, the design of bunkers, medicine, fitness, CQC(close quarters combat)...

DVDs on martial arts, concentrating primarily on the subject of Filipino weapons arts.

My largest silo of information is on the subject of bioinformatics, viruses and genetics. I have all of the collegiate texts that were being used to teach university students (5 years ago) from bachelors, masters and PhD level courses from 2 major institutions, which adds up to around $2,500 in texts for the one subject alone.

And I collect melee weapons concentrating on blunt instruments that could be used in trench or street warfare.
Last edited by Naperville on Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
benben

Post by benben »

thumbnail - 2019-07-15T075850.002.jpg
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

benben wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:48 pm
Forget the gloves, tell us about the car!
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Oh! And I collect Lamborghini cars too. I just haven't decided on which one to buy first.

:winking-tongue
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
benben

Post by benben »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:56 pm
benben wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:48 pm
Forget the gloves, tell us about the car!
No, I'd rather talk about my ball gloves! ;)

It's a matching number 1969 Z/28 302DZ. Never restored, 3rd owner, hasn't been rained on in 35/40 years. Original Georgia car.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I was never a Chevy guy, but there are cars that are so iconic that they cross all brand loyalties. That is indeed one of the icons.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
James Y

Post by James Y »

When I was a kid, I used to collect comic books. I started with mostly DC comics when I was 4, in the late 1960s. I also had a good collection of 1960s-era Creepy as well as Eerie magazines. These came from a much older neighbor kid who had previously kept them in a clubhouse. Some of them would be worth quite a bit now, if in decent enough condition. That’s how I started learning to read. Then I started collecting more Marvel comics. When I was 7, I actually found a copy of Conan the Barbarian #2 in a trash can in an alley, which I grabbed. I later learned that that issue was highly sought-after, though the copy I rescued was not in mint condition.

At 13, I also had some of the “underground comix” that were published in the late ‘60s/early ‘70s in San Francisco; these were adult-oriented, for ages 18 and up, but I somehow managed to acquire some, mostly because they were weird and funny as ****. I stopped collecting comic books at age 17, when I lost interest. The stories and artwork were no longer as interesting as they had been in earlier years. I still have most of my collection stored away, except for the very earliest ones, which my mom got rid of one day while I was at school, then denied it.

I’ve collected other things during my life as well, but that’s enough about me and my collecting for now.

Jim
benben

Post by benben »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:27 pm
I was never a Chevy guy, but there are cars that are so iconic that they cross all brand loyalties. That is indeed one of the icons.
Thanks Jim, in reality I'd much rather have a Chevelle, love full frame cars. The F-body (Camaro) and X-body (Nova) cars with their sub-frames just aren't as solid a car as full frame cars!

Good ole Chevelles are like driving a big heavy couch!

I'd take a...
1965 Chevelle
1967 Chevelle
1969 Chevelle
1970 Chevelle
1971 Chevelle

These are the five years I personally like.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

My next door neighbor just misses the mark with his '72 Chevelle.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
benben

Post by benben »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:15 pm
My next door neighbor just misses the mark with his '72 Chevelle.
Very very close to a '71, just like the headlamp bezels much more on a '71 model.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I just remembered, I also have quite a few Pogs and slammers haha!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick